PDA

View Full Version : inexpensive convertible seat for small car?

sdbc
08-19-2004, 03:44 PM
We're starting to think ahead in terms of buying Rory her next car seat. We are going to have to buy 2 (will miss just needing an extra base!) and we're looking for something moderately inexpensive since we need to buy 2! I like the Triumph recommended in BBB, but we have 2 small cars, and those seem kind of large. I have a Prizm and my husband has an Infiniti G20 (it's old and the size of an Altima).

Does anyone have recommendations?

Thanks!

Sue

Joolsplus2
08-19-2004, 04:06 PM
The Triumph is wide(ish) and really heavy, but it's short, and often an excellent choice for a small car. So are the Roundabout, Marathon/Wizard, and Cosco Touriva/Regal Ride ("tourvia" at walmart.com).
www.carseatdata.org may have seats that work in your cars or similar model years, just for a starting point. A lot of moms choose to go with a really nice seat for the most-used car, and a really cheap seat for the least-used car...with the touriva at $38, and also very light for travel, it makes a decent second seat (it's fine as a most-used seat, too, but if your budget allows, something with a little more padding might be more comfy...though it's not UNcomfortable...but you know what I mean, I hope, lol)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

ghs517
08-21-2004, 04:39 PM
We have the Touriva for our second seat (in DH's rarely-used car). I'm glad we bought it, as it is narrow and easy to install. An added bonus: it is *very* lightweight, and so if we ever travel by air, we will definitely use it rather than lugging around our excellent but much-heavier Marathon.

Drawbacks to Touriva: (1) As Julie noted, it's not as padded as other seats; honestly, though, DD falls asleep in it just as easily as she does the Marathon. (2) The puzzle buckle is annoying but not a deal-breaker. Once you get the hang of it, it's fine.

sdbc
09-05-2004, 05:26 PM
Thanks! We may get a Triumph and a Touriva. We're thinking about getting a new (larger) car in the next year, so the Triumph will go in that one.

Sue

psophia17
09-05-2004, 05:50 PM
The Triumph fit into our 99 Toyota Corolla really well - DH has to have his seat way back in order to drive and it still fit in the middle just fine. It's really comfy for DS, too, I wish they made one like it for me to sit in :-)

-Petra

DS - Nathan, 12/29/03