PDA

View Full Version : Which Britax Car Seat for Me?

marney
08-22-2004, 12:45 AM
Hi everyone,

After reading all the reviews, I've decided to go ahead and purchase a Britax carseat (despite the recall!). However, I'm really wondering which carseat (Marathon vs. Roundabout vs. Wizard) is going to be best for my son. He's at the 97%ile in all growth parameters (which is why he's outgrown his infant seat before 4 months!). I drive a Saturn SL1 and my husband drives a Toyota Camry.

So, any advice about which of the three Britax carseats is best for a big little boy???

Thanks!
Marney (mom to Will) :-)

anutalp
08-22-2004, 12:59 AM
I asked the same question a while ago in the following thread:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=13&topic_id=17022
I ended buying Marathon in Arctic Cat.
Good luck in choosing your perfect seat.

aidansmutti
08-25-2004, 02:23 AM
Hi Marney,
I have both a Roundabout and a Wizard. I prefer the Wizard over the Roundabout. The things I like about the Wizard are:
*Those head wings: keeps his head upright when he naps. (I was worried they would bother him or obstruct his field of vision...they don't, at least not in our minivan.)
*Seat is plusher and comfier.
*He's only 1.5 years old and he's getting close to outgrowing the Roundabout. (He's already over 30 lbs and quite tall.)
*Much easier to adjust belts.

The only problem I see with it is it is a bit on the big size. I doubt it would fit or fit well in our other car, a VW Jetta. The Roundabout is in there now and it's a pretty tight fit. (Although I can't say that we've even attempted to ever put the Wizard in there.)

At any rate, it's hard to go wrong with a Britax. Any of those 3 would be a great car seat.

Best of luck,
-Anja

Laru
08-26-2004, 02:20 AM
We have the Wizard for my car and Marathon for DH. Both are great seats. I like the extra side impact protection and easier height adjustment with the Wizard. As far as fit...both are still rear facing at 15 months. I drive a Stratus with the seat in the center with no problems. I can still fit a passenger on each side, but definitely a tight fit for them! DH has a Pontiac Vibe (aka Toyota Matrix) with the seat outboard on the passenger side. I'm 5'6" and can slide the passenger seat back enough to be comfortable.

DD doesn't seem to care about either Britax - anything was better than the infant seat! I would try them IRL, but make sure the Wizard "wings" height is approximately right before placing your son in it.

We've had both seats less than a year. DH went with the denim cover and I think it looks more durable than the windowpane that I have

COElizabeth
08-26-2004, 10:22 AM
If you plan on having another child within the next 2 or 3 years, I would probably get the Roundabout, since it hasn't been recalled and should be easier to find right now. Also, it's smaller size makes it a little bit easier to travel with. When your DS outgrows it, you could pass it on to the new baby and get a Marathon if he's not ready for a booster seat yet.

FWIW, my niece also outgrew her infant seat in both height and weight by 4 months and was consistently off the charts in her first several months of life. She did slow down, though, and did not hit 30 pounds before she turned a year (though she got close!), and at 3 years old she still is in her RA.

I admit that I don't know the dimensions of the Wizard because it wasn't out yet when I was researching - I was comparing just the Marathon and RA.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

LBW
08-26-2004, 10:49 AM
I have a son who is also almost off the charts in height and weight. He outgrew his infant seat before he was three months old. We purchased a Roundabout and a Marathon. (We probably would have bought two Marathon's but they weren't out yet when we needed the new seat and I got a great deal on a clearance non-LATCH Roundabout.)

Anyway, Liam's almost 2 now, and he's about to outgrow the Roundabout. I thought it would take him years to reach 40 lbs, but he's almost there. To make matter worse, there are only a couple of seats that we can buy now to move him up into because he's not mature enough for the seat belt boosters.

So, we're choosing between another Marathon, a Wizard, the Husky, or the Nania Airway.

I'd strongly advise you to buy a Marathon now. That way, you're guaranteed to not have to buy another carseat until he is old enough to use a standard booster. If you buy the RA, you might be in the same situation that we're in a year and a half from now. You'll kick yourself for not getting the MA.

It IS bigger, but if it fits, I'd say buy it!!