PDA

View Full Version : Wow, overwhelmed with car seat facts, need help??

dragonflylvr
08-25-2004, 12:29 PM
Hi everyone. I am new here. A dear friend told me of this board Re: BB. I am going to be a first time mom in Dec. I do have a DSS who my DH and I are NCPs to with visitation who is 5yo.

I have been trying to find out about car seats today and have been overwhelmed with what I have seen here thus far. First of all, I do have a second hand Century Smart Fit. What is the info you can give me on that. Next off, I was reading below about forward facing car seats. I have always been under the impression that once the baby's feet hand over the end of the infant seat and touch the seat that it is time for a bigger forward facing seat. Please fill me on this and why that is believed to be wrong etc.

Next, after the infant seat facing backwards what would your suggestions be for type of seat and brand? I will be registering for my baby shower in the next week or two and need all the info I can get before then.

Thanks everyone.

Lori

Momof3Labs
08-25-2004, 12:43 PM
Most of the answers to your questions are here:

http://www.cpsafety.org/

Check out the Used Seat Checklist, the Shopping Guides, and The Basics. The Front Facing too Soon link might be useful to you, too, since it sounds like you have gotten some bad advice in the past.

The best car seat for you is the one that can be installed in your car properly, fits your child, and is easy for you to use correctly every single time. Check out www.carseatdata.org for a car seat/auto compatibility database.

dragonflylvr
08-25-2004, 10:21 PM
Thank you so much for these sites. They have been a HUGE help.

Lori