PDA

View Full Version : Two Questions - CPS tech, help!

sdjeppa
08-27-2004, 12:35 PM
Ok, #1 - my mom took her 2002 Yukon XL to the local police station for a car seat check (they have techs). She has a graco comfortsport. They couldn't get it tight in the center, so its outboard. Fine. It's in there great. BUT, the tech told her she could use the tether rear facing???? (she didn't hook it up, just said she could?) That's not right on the Graco, right?

#2 - My cousin installed their snugride base in their car(2002 or 2003 camry), center, and per another cousin's instructions, used LATCH to install center position. Where is there a site that says this is not allowed? I know the snugride instruction manual says not to...but they don't believe us.

Thanks!

Momof3Labs
08-27-2004, 04:01 PM
#1 - the only seats with rear tethers are Britax, I believe. Graco definitely does not have a rear tether.

#2 - check the car manual. Some cars have LATCH in the middle (I don't believe that Toyota does) and therefore it is allowed. If in doubt, call Toyota (not the local dealership) and they can confirm it.

Play Pen
08-27-2004, 08:14 PM
You are correct Britax is the only one that has seats that can be tethered in the rear facing mode. On the latch qusetion If the car only has 2 pair of latches (which are usually for the outboard) then you cannot use the seat in the middle with latches. You cannot use the right latch on the drivers side with the left latch of the passenger. The seats have not been tested in that configuration. Now you can use the seat belt if you wish, which is stronger if installed properly. For the Marathon users 2 important things to do on your istalls with latch, make sure your latches are in the correct postion. There is a top and a bottom. Also as on page 5 use vehicle belt not latch for installations with childeren weighing over 48 pounds.