PDA

View Full Version : Re: Help with Graco ComfortSport

annietete
08-27-2004, 09:54 PM
I need help with my comfort sport. I just purchased it today as the carseat for our second vehicle. I have two questions/problems:

1. We have a single cab, chevrolet 1500 truck (2001). The airbag is turned off. The truck has Latch. I am installing the carseat rear facing, and when I get it really tight, I cannot get to the mechanism to losen and tighten the harness. It is pushed up against the back of the seat, and I cannot get my fingers down in there to pull up the lever. I have tried a variety of towels, but it just doesn't seem right. The angle just doesn't look right to me, even though the level says the angle is correct. It looks more like a 55 degree angle than 45. Would a positioner fix the problem?

2. I have read about bracing rear facing seats against the seat in front, or in my case, the dash. Should I brace the seat against the dash. If I do, the level indicates that the seat is tilted too far back. It seems logical to brace the seat. I would imagine it hitting the dash in an accident.

I am so confused. The car seat database indicated that the comfort sport would work in my vehicle (however, I am trying to put this seat in the front). I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks so much :)

Joolsplus2
08-27-2004, 11:10 PM
Unfortunately, I've never read of anyone whow COULD use the adjuster on that seat when installed RF...Graco has even promised to re-design it (too bad they didn't do it sooner!). I had a similar problem with a Touriva this weekend, and found that if I pushed the top/back of the seat so it was super reclined, then I could reach the adjuster...maybe one of those firm foam seat noodles would be a better long-term solution for you, though.

Here's what 45 degrees looks like, if that's posing any problems for you... http://home.earthlink.net/~carseatsite/reclineangle.htm (that can be hard to figure alone, even for "professionals"...sometimes 3 or 4 of us will stand there staring at a seat to determine if the angle is right, lol)

Hm, that's tricky, the recline/bracing issue...Do your truck seats move back and forth independently, or are they a single bench? If you can move the seat forward, you'd have the best of both worlds: proper recline and braced. If you are working with a single bench, obviously you need to be comfortable to drive safely...I think I would tend to leave it at a proper recline rather than overrecline and brace, but honestly, I can imagine arguments on both sides of the issue, so you might have to choose what seems safest for you.
www.cpsafety.com has a rf/braced and tethered page, and www.carseat.org has a "technical" section that might have more info on the subject (my computer has had a million problems lately, and my links are gone with the wind...ugh!)

Julie
CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats

annietete
08-28-2004, 03:17 AM
Julie, thank you so much for your advice. The seats do move independently, so I will work with that and a noodle. It's hard for me to believe that Graco would design the seat so that the straps can't be loosened or tightened when rear-facing. Do you know if there is any way to do it from the back? I'm really considering returning the seat if there is no way to adjust the harness. Again, thank you for your help.

Annie

Joolsplus2
08-29-2004, 02:42 PM
No, that strap really has to be pulled from the front to get the harnessed tightened :(
Have you considered the Evenflo Triumph or one of the Britaxes? Those are a little better designed in terms of harness adjustment, and the top harness slots are also a bit higher, so the seats would last a little longer when forward facing...
:)
Good luck, and I'm glad you can move your van seat independently, that should help a lot.
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

annietete
08-30-2004, 02:15 AM
I actually have ordered a Britax for my primary vehicle (a jeep cherokee). I purchased the Graco for our second car (my husband's). We do travel quite a bit, and I thought the Graco would be better for plane travel in the next few years. I have heard that the Britax is rather wide. I thought that it might be cumbersome to carry through an airport and too wide to fit in the seats. Thank you again for your advice :)

Annie

annietete
08-31-2004, 01:50 PM
The noodles really help. The angle is just at 45 degrees, the seat is braced against the console, and I can reach the lever to adjust the harness (with a little difficulty). I'm going to try the seat out for a few weeks. If I'm having any trouble, I've decided to take it back. I may get the Cosco Regal Ride or Touriva. Thanks again for all of your help :)

Annie

Joolsplus2
08-31-2004, 01:55 PM
Oh good, I'm glad you got a good install!

1sttimemom
08-31-2004, 08:02 PM
I'm considering the Evenflo Triumph or Graco ComfortSport. Do you know how soon or if Graco really intends to make any changes? We have had a triumph for our 3yo and are expecting #2. We have some time before the baby will need a convertible anyway- maybe I should wait to see if significant changes occur? The only negatives about the triumph right now are that those I felt in the store seemes to be less padded than ours is and the strap tightener/loosener knobs are tricky to adjust at times. Overall we've been happy though. Thanks for any advice!

Joolsplus2
08-31-2004, 08:21 PM
Graco just introduced a pile of new covers and foams, and didnt bother to change their seat design...it could be another year, at least. The top harness slots are also a smidge lower than the Triumph. Have you considered a combo booster for your three year old? like the new Cargo or the Evenflo Chase? Those have much higher harness slots than either the triumph or comofortsport, so you can keep your 3 yo safely harnessed much longer (till the full 40 pounds and age 4 or 5)

1sttimemom
09-01-2004, 07:23 AM
We do actually have the Evenflo Chase for her in one car and triumph in the other. We didn't have two cars when she was smaller, so we have an infant seat and know we'll be needing another convertible for the new baby to have one in each car eventually. We're hoping the eventually will be long enough that DD can ride in the Chase and we can purchase a dedicated booster for her second car seat. We really only use one primary vehicle and had it for probably a year without a second car seat in it without trouble swapping cars rather than moving seats. We could do that again long enough not to have to purchase more seats than we need until DD is ready for a dedicated booster and there might be improvements on convertible seats in that time. I'm thinking that might be the way to go, but we have family asking what to buy us for shower gifts!!

n2ou
09-01-2004, 11:22 AM
I had the same problem, first I tried the Evenflo Titan 5, no luck with reaching the adjuster, let alone pulling it tight rf. I returned it for the Grace CS 5, same thing. I ended up with another Britax - this time Roundabout because I felt that ease of use contributes so much to my daughter's safety (especially in her grandmother's car who is not as carseat-able)

Joolsplus2
09-01-2004, 12:10 PM
Well, in that case, look at the Triumph DLX. It has ALL kinds of extra padding and is super-duper cushy (7 years ago, I went with an Evenflo Medallion because it was totally loaded with padding, I'm glad to see them getting back to that...who wants to put their baby in a hard plastic tub of a seat?!?!?!)