PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the crotch buckle on Britax Marathon? Help!

shall85296
08-30-2004, 12:54 PM
My son has spilled something sticky all over his carseat... nothing new there.
But this time some of it got into the mechanism that the two buckles snap into @ the crotch . So now when I buckle I have to push really hard, and to release I have to really pull them out of there. I get the click each time I buckle in - but I am hoping to be able to clean it out.
Anyone else ever have to clean theirs? If so, how did you do it.
TIA.
sh

Joolsplus2
08-30-2004, 01:47 PM
You can remove the crotch strap completely from the seat (when you look at the bottom of the seat, there's a metal bit...turn it sidewise/longways and you'll be able to shove it through the slot in the plastic). Then you can soak the buckle (and strap...the whole shebang) in PLAIN WATER. You can soak it up to overnight if you need to, but NO SOAP. Soaking usually dissolves the sticky junk, and hopefully you'll have no more problems after a single soak. You might want to make it into a full-on seat and car cleaning while you're at it if the sun is shining (waiting for a cover to dry on a rainy winter day can take forever, lol)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

shall85296
08-31-2004, 12:49 PM
Julie-
I knew I could count on you! thanks-
I should mention that I am in Phoenix -
Sunny days are abundant - it's the rainy winter days we long for!
I probably will do a whole wash. Is is still ok to machine wash Britax covers - I thought I heard something about hand washing now?
TIA
sh

Joolsplus2
08-31-2004, 01:59 PM
LOL! Last time I dismantled a MA I was in Ajo in January, and it was raining...took forever to dry. You should be fine now, though :D
Technically, you aren't supposed to machine wash the covers now, but we all do, anyway...just use a teeny blob of detergent or woolite and the gentlest cycle you have, and air dry it...don't put the straps in the machine, just hand wash those.

Stay cool ;)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx