PDA

View Full Version : Once you have two kids

Marisa6826
08-30-2004, 03:30 PM
Where do you put the carseats? Middle and passenger side? Driver and passenger side?

We have a 2001 Camry (no LATCH) and Sophie is currently in the middle RF in her Roundabout.

I know that the weakest child should be in the middle, and I would then put Sophie behind the passenger seat. However, I'm afraid that Sophie will be throwing stuff on Amelia (sippies, animals, etc.). Amelia will be in a PP Infant Seat in the beginning, and then in a Roundabout.

Do I just separate them and have one behind each front seat? That then absolutely means I can't get a third adult in the car at all.

Thanks

-m

BethinMass
08-30-2004, 03:38 PM
We separated the kids, one behind each seat, because I was afraid of my older daughter being "too" friendly to her brother.

We had such a small car that even if I had put my son in the middle seat, and my daughter on the other side, I honestly dont think a skinny adult could have fit in the back.

Because of that we ended up getting a toyota sienna a few weeks ago, the lack of room issue bothered me wayyy to much with the carseats.

Joolsplus2
08-30-2004, 03:57 PM
There was no WAY I could let my 2 yo be next to my infant...he would have choked her or worse (I'd already confiscated his toy cars for bopping her on the head with them...eeek!) Even now, they would kill each other, lol.

Anyway, contrary to what you may have heard about the weakest child in the middle, what you would ideally do is put "the least protected child in the most protected spot". Since the infant is much, much better protected by being rearfacing, you would put the baby on the side and the toddler in the middle. But, that said, ANY seat in the back is very safe for a properly restrained passenger, so you should do what is most convenient for you. I found that the infant behind the driver worked best for me, as I could hand things to my toddler, but there was nothing to do for a crying baby but pull over. Then on the weekends, I could reach her from the passenger seat better. But if the other way around works better for you, because of front seat space issues or parallel parking or whatever, then you should do that. When you DO have to fit an adult in the back, then you probably could put the baby in the middle in the car seat without the base, and sit back there with both of them, able to be close enough to help your toddler remember to be gentle.
:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Marisa6826
08-30-2004, 04:04 PM
When you DO have to fit an
>adult in the back, then you probably could put the baby in the
>middle in the car seat without the base

Ah, but you need the base with the PP! ;)

I will probably separate them, putting Amelia behind the driver's seat. I like being able to hand Sophie stuff now, so it would definitely be more practical to have her behind the passenger side. Jonathan will just have to get over not being able to have his seat slid all the way back.

We are planning on getting the Volvo CX90 in June since our Camry lease will be up. I SOOOO can't wait ;).

-m

Zansu
08-30-2004, 05:09 PM
Marisa

DH drives a 92 Camry with Benjamin FF in a RA and Leo RF in the PP PV.

The RA is in the center and the PP is behind the passenger.

Benjamin likes to climb up into his own seat, so we left him in the middle so that he can climb more easily.

The PP is on the passenger side so that there is enough legroom if I need to drive DH's car (I'm several inches taller than DH).

We don't have a problem with Benjamin throwing things at Leo. And if Leo is crying, we can ask Benjnmin to hold Leo's hand, which often makes Leo stop crying. (Of course, it's so sweet that *I* start crying, but that may just be hormones...)

I would keep the RA in the center RF, so that Jonathan isn't squished. Or you could use the lack of legroom on the passenger side as another reason for him to learn to drive. :)

Marisa6826
08-30-2004, 05:14 PM
He started lessons two weeks ago ;).

There's no reason he has to have his seat so freaking far back. He's only 5'10" on a good day ;).

Love your boys' names, BTW.

-m

Joolsplus2
08-30-2004, 05:19 PM
boy, I have serious mommy brain today....I missed the "PP" part of the infant seat. oooooh well.... ;)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

DebHgn
08-30-2004, 05:27 PM
My husband came up w/ idea of using the two outboard seats so toddler wouldn't "overlove" infant. But now she stretches her feet over to pat baby w/ them.

murphydog77
08-30-2004, 05:40 PM
I didn't have a choice to keep one child in the middle in my van, so they both are outboard. I keep my older child's seat behind the driver and the younger's (dd) behind the passenger. I did it just because that was where my ds (oldest) was and I didn't feel like moving his seat ;). I found out after taking them on a trip by myself and having them opposite (ds behind passenger, dd behind driver) that it was a big PITA for me. I like to put my dd in first, since she's younger and likely to stray in a parking lot. When she's behind the driver, that means walking to the driver's side to put her in, then walking back to the passenger side to put ds in his seat, then walking back to the driver's side to drive. So, something to think about :).

Heather, CPS Tech
http://www.carseatsite.com

Zansu
08-31-2004, 04:06 PM
Thanks!

They're family names that meet my requirement of working in English, Spanish and Hebrew. ;)