PDA

View Full Version : Marathon vs Roundabout

Tizzylish
08-31-2004, 01:19 PM
Okay-I'm sure this question has been asked a hundred times before, but can you tell me why you purchased one Britax seat over the other? We are ready to move our daughter and I need to make a decision. Thanks!

Joolsplus2
08-31-2004, 02:12 PM
For me, personally, it was for the extended rearfacing capabilities (see the link in my sig, it has lots of info on why rearfacing is so safe, under the "front facing too soon?" link on the left of that page), but I also love that my 5 year old dd still has loads of growing room in it(probably another year to 18 months), and I can keep her harnessed as long as possible...5-pt harnesses are the next safest way to ride in the car after rearfacing :)
There are other ways to keep a child harnessed a long time, but the Marathon is probably the simplest one time solution. So that's MY reason :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Momof3Labs
08-31-2004, 02:27 PM
Colin is tall, and we chose one of each (figuring that the RA is better for travel) but he will outgrow the RA long before the MA, so now we wish that we had gotten two MAs instead.

kijip
08-31-2004, 05:45 PM
We bought the RA and have ended up needing a Marathon/Wizard a long time before we would be ready for a booster. Toby's head is nearly to the top of the shell now!

Momof3Labs
08-31-2004, 06:46 PM
That's okay - they don't outgrow the RA until the tips of their ears are level with the top of the RA. But I agree that you'll need something (Marathon, Wizard or Husky) long before he is ready for a booster seat!

kijip
09-01-2004, 12:43 AM
I can read the manual that says to the tops of the ears over and over but I still prefer to have his head completely covered from behind. Toby's head is quite large (20% larger than the top of the charts at his last visit) so it is approaching the top faster than the rest of his body would if he had an average sized noggin. Also we are planning on a #2 (if we are lucky) as soon as possible so the RA can be passed down. Right now it is a great second seat.

iriebride
09-01-2004, 02:53 AM
I'm having the same dilemma. It seems everyone's baby here is growing at a fast rate and will grow out of the RA quickly. However, my DS is tiny. He was only 5 lbs 9 oz, 19" long when he was born. Now he's almost 14 mos, barely 20 lbs and he's 29". Is the MA still the best for him? I just can't picture him in the MA at 6 or 7 y.o. I was thinking the RA will be fine and if we need a booster later, then so be it. They're not that expensive, are they?

Joyce

Marisa6826
09-01-2004, 03:46 AM
We have a Roundabout for Sophie and she's just fine in it. She's almost 21m old and about 22lbs, maybe 30" (she was last measured at her 18m visit).

Being that she was 6 lbs. 1oz, she's always been small. I just bought another Roundabout for her sister-to-be, Amelia, as she will be small too ( I am on heart medication, so we know she won't be big).

I think for small kiddos, the RA is just fine. Besides, I don't think I could fit two MAs in my Camry!

-m

GatorMom
09-01-2004, 08:41 AM
My daughter is smallish (probably 25%ile), but we are ending up having to replace our RA with an MA. At 4, she has just recently gotten too tall for the RA. We tried her in the booster, but she cannot be counted on to keep her arms in the strap, sit up straight etc., so I don't feel good about her not being completely harnessed in. So we now we are moving on to an MA.

When I first saw the Marathons, I thought the 65 lb. weight limit was over the top (b/c dd will probably be 10 before she weighs that much) and that we would never need one, but here we are. So I'd go with that.

Good luck. Julie

Joolsplus2
09-01-2004, 11:27 AM
My dd's tiny like that, and I'm just happy that I get to keep her safer, longer. She can buckle and unbuckle her own harness with no problems, so it's just as quick as a booster. Her older brother is turning 7 this month, and he's just outgrown the MA, but fits in and loves his Husky (harnesses to 80 pounds or about age 10...I don't think he'll stay in it THAT long, but he could!)
Anyway, a lot of us find that our 3 and 4 yo's outgrow the RA at 32 pounds or so, and we'd prefer to keep them harnessed till the full recommended 40 pounds, and have to get a harnessed combo booster later ($60-$100).
It's like a lot of things in parenting, as you do it day in, day out, it seems less weird...it's hard to imagine a harnessed 6 yo now, but as you go one day at a time, it seems normal.
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Not a Bobblehead
09-01-2004, 04:21 PM
Size of our car. Would probably have bought the MA but it wouldn't fit in our Volvo S60. So went with the RA and love it. Since RA and MA have same weight limits for rear facing, figure once has outgrown forward facing limits onRA we will probably go to booster seat anyway. If not and we need the MA, guess we'll have to get a bigger car!