PDA

View Full Version : Convertible Carseats in Canada

andie
05-13-2005, 01:14 PM
Hi,

I am expecting #2 in October, and since we moved from California back home to Montreal 2 years ago when DS was 3.5, we have almost NO baby gear, sigh. Now I am obsessing about a carseat. With #1 we used (and loved) the Britax Roundabout, which he outgrew at 3 years (41 lbs!) I am hoping that for #2 I can use one of the newer Britax which seem to have higher weight limitations so we don't grow out of it too soon. Do any of you safety gurus, Hipmaman, Jooles etc. Know which seat would work for me and is allowed in Canada? We had no problem fitting the RA in the car before so I am hoping that I am safe in guessing another one would fit too. Britax alternate suggestions are welcome too, but we really did like the one we had.

Last question, once we decide on a model do we have to buy it in Canada, or can we try to save money through a US store (lots of relatives and friends just south of the border, so no worries about shipping)?

TIA,

Joolsplus2
05-13-2005, 01:57 PM
Since you're a Canadian in Canada, you pretty much have to legally buy a Canadian seat in Canada. The only Britax choice you have there, right now, is the Marathon. I think the infant seats there are the Snugride, Peg Perego, and Cosco Designer 22 (there are also Evenflos, but I don't much like them :P).
The Touriva and Alpha Omega Elite are much, much improved over earlier versions...not a Britax, but still pretty good. And, you have the special ability there to use "harnessed booosters" by Evenflo to 47 pounds and by Graco to 48 pounds, when top tethered.

Hopefully some Canadian will chime in (Hipmaman's on vacation, so keep checking back, I'm sure she'll pop in when she's home again!)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

jujucb
05-13-2005, 03:52 PM
I'm Canadian, do I count? ;P

I have to agree with Julie's post.

I just wanted to add that some Canadian stores are saying the Roundabout, Companion and Parkway are coming soon. Have no idea when or prices. I won't believe it until I see it lol!

I have 2 RAs and an MA. I think I would've skipped the RA all together if I had the choice. The MA's higher limits are a big selling feature for me. I want to keep my kids harnessed as long as I can. This way I don't have to get a convertible, higher weight combo seat and dedicated booster. I can skip the combo all together.

Joolsplus2
05-13-2005, 04:24 PM
We post on so many boards together I couldn't remember if you posted here or not! (My head is scatterbrained today, packing is so stressful for me!)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

jujucb
05-14-2005, 07:13 AM
LOL! I've been hit or miss here since joining last year when I was looking for stroller help.

I feel for you, I'm scatterbrained enough and I haven't packed in over 8yrs. Haven't unpacked some of those things for that matter ;)