PDA

View Full Version : Carseat in an accident --- questions!

HHCs Mom
05-13-2005, 02:58 PM
DH was rear ended this morning. Fortunately, no one was seriously injured and DS was not in the car. DH has a bad headache from hitting the back of his head on his seat and some neck/shoulder pain. The police officer thinks that DH hit his head on the top of DS's carseat (it's RF and directly behind the driver's seat) --- that his seat went up under the car seat on impact. DH says he doesn't *think* his head hit plastic, but you never know.

My question is whether we should replace the car seat. It wasn't directly hit but you never know if there was any sort of structural damage or whatever. We are planning on claiming it on the insurance if it needs replacing. Should we just replace it to be safe or do y'all think it's ok? It's a Marathon, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Kim
~ mama to a chunky monkey named Harrison ~ 4.6.04

Joolsplus2
05-13-2005, 03:19 PM
Here are the NHTSA "replacement rules" that Britax also follows:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/childps/ChildRestraints/ReUse/RestraintReUse.htm

Of course, if you see visible damage to the MA, you should get a new seat immediately (or use a second/spare seat) and absolutely force the at-fault insurance company to pay to replace your MA.

It's Friday and the Britax people have gone home for the day, but you can call them Monday at 1-888-4BRITAX to be double sure about what to do.

I hope your dh doesn't hurt too bad, for too long! Ouch!

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

HHCs Mom
05-13-2005, 04:03 PM
Thanks Julie! I saw this information on another site and didn't know it was from the NHTSA. We haven't really checked the seat out to see if there is any visible damage (too concerned with the damage to the back of DH's car!) but we'll do that this weekend. Fortunately, this is not our primary seat and we can still go out.

Strange thing is, our insurance agent told DH that he'd never heard of anyone claiming a car seat in a crash. HUH?? You'd have to replace it if the car was *really* smashed up --- I can't believe he's never heard of someone who wanted to claim the carseat so they could get the $$$ to replace it! Those suckers are expensive! :o

Anyway, thanks again! :)

Kim
~ mama to a chunky monkey named Harrison ~ 4.6.04

SpaceGal
05-13-2005, 07:23 PM
I'm not sure what insurance company you are dealing with to get them to cover the cost of the seat, but I was in a accident yesterday as well and Liberty Mutual is going to replace our seat for us. They just want a copy of our car seat's manual so that they can replace it for the same seat.

Your accident is much more severe then mine...my car was parked and just dented cosmetically on the door. I would definitely press to get the seat replace from the sound of what you describe.

Good luck and I hope you hubby feels better soon.