PDA

View Full Version : How safe (and expensive) are the built in car seats in minivans?

jess_g
05-14-2005, 07:37 PM
Does anyone know how safe they are? I am thinking one would work for my tall and skinny 5 year old. He is just outgrowing his current car seat but still needs a 5 point harness since he wiggles around so much. We rented a car (dodge caravan) that had a built in car seat in the middle row bench seat and my son loved it. Can you get something like this in a toyota siena minivan? Can it go in the captains chair in the middle row or would it need be in the bench in the back row? How safe are they for a 5 year old? I have read here that they are not great for a young toddler but by 5 years old he should be big enough for it. And any idea how expensive they are as an additional thing from the dealer?

Thanks,

Jesscia.

jujucb
05-15-2005, 07:54 AM
As far as I know only Chrysler and most GM vans offer the built-in seats. I know the GM's are 'free' and part of a couple of the seating configurations. For the last few years they are located in one spot only, the second row passenger side. It's only available on the two person bench, 3 passenger modular bench and on the newest vans, that have the two person modular bench. They have never come with the cpt's chairs. This built-in seat also replaces the lower LATCH anchors for that seating location. Not 100% sure about the newewst vans though. I suspect it's still the case.

Anyway, I have one in my 8 passenger Venture and I could've done without it really. It is just as safe as a regular car seat. It had to pass the same testing in order to be offered. It is always installed right. The harness is non-twist, the one set of harness slots is nice and tall and easy to adjust. But it seriously lacks padding and side support. My 5yo complains constantly about it not being comfortable on trips longer than 5 minutes. I've had the van for 2yrs now and I swear the bum padding is getting worse. Don't forget that you would need to keep the seat back upright or reclined ONLY one or two notches from upright. You don't have an extra seat to move in case your van is in the shop or your dc wants to visit with someone. I find that seating location is not as comfortable for adults. The built-in seat makes it kind of lumpy. The kids don't like not being able to see, as it sits really low. I don't like how their wet boots sit right on the seat fabric. And with my two ligther kids, the seat bottom tries to fold back up on them.

I like it fine for a guest chair or to use if one of my regular seats is being cleaned. But I wouldn't make it my only seat. JMHO of course.

Typing with twins :)

Splash
05-15-2005, 08:43 AM
I think they're horrible. They'll cost you about $500 more, on average, and you can get a couple of really nice seats for that.
But, number one- You can't get latch in the location of the built in seat. I don't know why, but you can't. So, if you ever need to install a carseat, you must use the seatbelt. Nothing wrong with that really but since the seat is in the MIDDLE of the van and the seatbelt in on the SIDE of the van quite a distance away, I have never felt the middle of a bench is safe. All you (or your carseat) would have to do is slide off the bench, and the seatbelt is useless. Not that farfetched. In another vehicle where the seatbelt is right beside you, you cannot slide off the seat to the side, so there is no way you can go unprotected... does that make sense? Also, you will not be able to access the back of you van because you will have to undo the seatbelt or crawl through it, a major pain.
Next, there is only one height for the straps. Well if your kid is tall that might be okay... but I was test driving on once and put my two year old in it, because I thought"How great, I can test drive vehicles without moving car seats." Well, first off, she HATED it. Second, I noticed she looked a little red and when I finally heard her gasping I turned around and the think was strangling her! I pulled over on a busy street to jump out and get her out of it and ended up letting her ride back in just a seatbelt, because she would NOT go back in that thing and I was afraid to let her.
Also, the seat part the child sits on (that flips down) is a "cut out" of the whole seat, meaning that part of your child's body is going to be forced into the hole it made, and part of it isn't... so he is going to be very uncomfortable. Don't know if that made sense or not.
I would skip the things. I am sure they're safe for a tall, heavy kid... but they are only rated to 40 pounds and IMO, that's when they start to become safe... before then it's just too bad a fit.
E

mariza
05-15-2005, 08:48 AM
I just purchased a new Chevy Uplander (The Venture's replacement) and mine has the built in booster as part of the standard package. It didn't come in the leather seat model for some reason (or maybe just the leather on my dealers lot didn't have it), but the cloth seat is actually vinyl with a wide cloth strip the middle of the seat. Less expensive and just as easy to clean!
In my car it is located in the 2nd row passenger side Captain's chair. I thought this would be a great alternative for when DD outgrows her R/A (long time; she's still in her Snugride!) but after buying realize it only holds up to 40lbs, so we probably won't get much if any use out of it, but I'm still glad we have it there just in case.
My DH took the van to Orlando with 6 co-workers for a meeting (3 hour drive) and they all said it was comfortable, the person sitting in the chair with the booster didn't realize there was anything different. These are all Managers for a big rental car company, so I know they would have commented if they felt it, they are always picking apart cars!
BTW, I LOVE my Uplander it also came standard with a DVD/MP3 system and the OnStar System with free OnStar service for one year, it's only 19.99 a month after the 1st year for the Safe & Sound plan. What we paid for the Outlander, I could not have gotten a Kia for the same price with all these features!