PDA

View Full Version : European car seats that are rear-facing?

Mamajama
05-15-2005, 07:32 AM
Hi there, I'm looking to upgrade to a convertible from the Graco Snugride now that DS is getting too big for it. I'm deciding between Evenflow triumph 5 and the Britax roundabout but would also love to consider a european seat like a maxi-cosi. However, it seems that the european seats are all forward-facing after the infant seats. Anyone know of any that are rear-facing and where I might buy one online? Thanks so much!

Splash
05-15-2005, 08:46 AM
It's illegal to use a european seat in the US. I know there are a LOT of Britax England seats I like, but they are a no no. Different testing requirements, different vehicle capabilites, etc. And if you ever got pulled by a cop that actually knew it was not a US seat (and some are fairly obvious) you'd be in pretty big trouble.
There are enough seats for you to choose from here. Go for one of the big britax seats (MA, BV, etc) and skip the RA- it won't last more than two years at the most.
E

Mamajama
05-15-2005, 12:24 PM
But what about people who use the Maxi-Cosi car seats or the peg perego's? are they technicallynot supposed to be using them?

kijip
05-15-2005, 12:34 PM
If the seat is sold in the USA, it is fine for use in the USA. The only thing you can't do is import seats from overseas that have not been tested here. Just make sure you get your seat from a domestic source and you are a-ok!

n2ou
05-15-2005, 01:00 PM
In Europe they have a little bit different system (at least Germany, that is what I am familiar with).

No, after the infant seat they do not have any seats that rf. At the same time, most of their infants seats go up to 28 pounds.

As already said above, if you buy a european seat in the US, you should be fine. If you are looking at the Priori and actually find one, make sure you know the manufacturing date (seats only lasts so many years - don't know for MAxi Cosi)

Hope that helps,

Simone

jujucb
05-15-2005, 02:12 PM
PP makes their infant seat to meet both US and Canadian Safety Standards. At one time Cosco distributed the Maxi Cosi Priori to the US but not Canada. Even then the proper use between and North American and European seats can be different. IIRC, a lot of rf European seats have the shoulder belt routed around the shell. Or the handle can be left up or placed at the baby’s feet etc.

The most important thing to look for is that the seat has a sticker stating it has been tested and approved for your country of residency.

FMVSS - for the US

CMVSS - for Canada