PDA

View Full Version : Choosing one car seat out of 5 (Safety is more important)

Lena
05-15-2005, 12:48 PM
I've read almost everything I found on second car seats. And having a Marathon in our main car, I am all confused now what to get for the second car. I've read up on Touriva (low rating in the book, high rating with lots of moms), Cosco Summit got B+, and so did Safety 1st VAntage, Evenflo Vision/Express got a B, but a lot of people menitoned Evenflo Vanguard/Titan as their choice. So I am all confused now. Our baby is turning 1, Dh wil be driving her to DC only once a day, and I will be picking her up, so this new seat we are going to get will be used 5 times a week for a 2 min drive. What are your thoughts in picking one out of so many?

Thanks,
Lena :-)

emmiem
05-15-2005, 09:27 PM
My only choice for any car is the Britax Roundabout. Babyage.com has a good price right now. I have bought 6 roundabouts in the past 4 years. No other seat will do.
Michele

kijip
05-15-2005, 09:35 PM
It all comes down to what fits in your husband's car. All of the seats are equally safe if installed correctly, some are easier to use but vehicle fit is a key consideration. I would drive to BRU and try at least 3 of them in your husband's car.

Personally I really suggest the Touriva over the Titan and the other seats. RF in many cars, the Titan's harness adjuster is unreachable. The Touriva is light, easy to install in most cars, has a 35 pound RF limit and the new ones do not have that puzzle buckle. It is about $40.

Lena
05-15-2005, 11:42 PM
Katie,

I did see that many moms here love the Touriva. So it is kind of weird that BB gave such a low rating to it, a C. The book had problems with its straps, but I guess, if majority of people here like it, it's good enough to try.

Thanks,
Lena

uccomama
05-16-2005, 07:44 AM
Cosco have improved the quality of the straps on the Touriva, they are not nearly as twisty now.

Deborah

Splash
05-16-2005, 08:36 AM
I love my vanguards and have never had a problem reaching the strap adjustment. It is annoying that you have to pull on a strap to loosen them, vs a button or lever, but you get used to it.
I would skip the Summit as it is only FF and you want DD RF for as long as possible. Also it has pretty low top slots and she will probably outgrow it quicker... and I am not a fan of it in booster mode. I am pretty sure the Vision is FF only too. Do not buy anything that is only FF! Even though she is only in it for two minutes at a time, she is just as likely to be in a wreck in those two minutes as any other two minutes (statistically more so actually, since more wrecks are within five miles of home). I have never used the touriva because it gives me the creeps, but a lot of people love it.
Honestly, I would hunt online for a good deal on a MA. She'll be in it for another five years or so, and you'll know she is very protected. You don't want to scrimp and have her be hurt and always wonder "what if?"
I don't really trust most of what BB has to say about car seats. SO MUCH of their info is wrong. The people here know WAY more.
Good luck!
E

pittsburghgirl
05-16-2005, 03:01 PM
We are Touriva fans, too. We use it for more than 2 min drives in DH's car on the weekends, and for all of our air travel (incl rental cars on the other side). I took care to learn how to install it properly using LATCH and seat belts so I know that it is safe.

If money were no object of course I would buy another Britax (we have a MA in my car), but that is primarily because of the comfort of the seat, the ease of use (straps) and the ease of install (in terms of it being pretty "foolproof"). I know you can't put a price on your child's safety but the point about car seats being safe when installed and used properly is true.

I bought it based on recommendations from the safety techs who post here. I would take their recomendation over the book ANY DAY.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

babybee1
05-17-2005, 08:51 PM
Sorry to butt in, but I am wondering if the Touriva you mentioned is the one you get at Walmart/ Cosco? I really think I want to get this for my mom's car and I want to make sure I am looking at the right one...

Thanks!
Rebecca

mariza
05-17-2005, 09:21 PM
Yes, the Touriva at Walmart is the one everyone here recommends. They also sell it at Target under the name "Regal Ride" and someone (I think joolsplus2) mentioned recently that there is another version called the Scenera (sp?) at Walmart. I have gone in to buy the Touriva as a travel seat many times, but always got turned off by the lack of padding. I'm hoping the Scenera will be better.

Joolsplus2
05-17-2005, 11:29 PM
Here's the one http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2233776

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

babybee1
05-18-2005, 01:42 PM
Thanks--I'll check it out--is this the five-point harness or the overhead bar 3 point? Target has two different models...

Joolsplus2
05-18-2005, 01:53 PM
Definitely the 5-point model...it's too bad they make so much profit off the overhead shield models and won't just quit selling them...they aren't nearly as safe as 5-points... check this out http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/fivepointshield.aspx
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

babybee1
05-18-2005, 02:04 PM
Thanks!