PDA

View Full Version : Marathon/Husky/Wizard/Decathlon/Boulevard/Roundabout?

Lena
05-17-2005, 11:19 AM
Well, Dh and I agreed that since this seat will be used for a very long time, years wise, not daily use, we don't mind paying more for it. I like to be as safe as possible, and with LA traffic, you never know. This seat will be used for years ahead, and she will not outgrw it very soon, so here is my question now. What would you pick out of Marathon/Husky/Wizard/Decathlon/Boulevard/Roundabout? The price is not important, there is a huge sale on a lot of them now, and you get $10 card for the future at TRU with a large purchase. I would like your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Lena

kijip
05-17-2005, 11:51 AM
The RA will only last till 40 pounds- maybe as little as 2-3 years. At most about 4 years. The WZ/MA/DE/BV are all on the same shell more or less and will last till 65 pounds- good for a full 5-6 years. We have a WZ and love it. However, just check and see which works best for you. Unless you have a bean, or plan on passing the seat down to a younger sibling and upgrading to a larger seat later, i would skip the RA if your goal is long use/extending time in harness.

Splash
05-17-2005, 12:53 PM
Skip the RA, it's a total waste of money as your child will outgrow it by age two unless she is super small.
I'd personally go with either the MA or BV if she is young and can still go RF. Husky is FF only and while it is a fine seat and definitely will hold her longer than any other seat, you want her RF as long as possible...to 2,3,4 years old depending on how fast she grows.
Plus, if you plan on having another child... you'll just pass the seat you buy now down to that baby and can buy a Husky then, or whatever else has come out by then (five point harness with head restraint to 120 lbs anyone?).
If you, and DD, don't mind the head wings, go for the BV. Not only do you get the wings, which are a mixed bag, you get THE KNOB, which everyone loves (everyone I have talked to at least).
E

heather57
05-17-2005, 02:29 PM
>then, or whatever else has come out by then (five point
>harness with head restraint to 120 lbs anyone?).

Hey, if they come out with one of those, I should buy one for myself to ride in in hubby's car!!
(I'm 5'2" and 114 lbs, and am paranoid of highway driving, having survived a terrible rollover accident :o )

But wouldn't that be a funny sight... a grown lady in a carseat.

Niki_n_Abby
05-17-2005, 03:30 PM
I wanted to offer a different point of view on the Roundabout. I agree that most children outgrow the seat before they are 4 and a Marathon will last much longer overall, but I dissagree that the Roundabout is a waste of money.

My dd is 2.5 and in a Roundabout and is getting close to the top slots. She only weighs 28 lbs but has a long torso and will probably be out of the seat around her 3rd birthday. I love the seat but am also glad to replace it. At 2.5 she is already fighting the "baby seat" She is very independant and while she doesn't mind the harness, she is very into being a "big girl" and it is can be a struggle to get her in the Roundabout. I am happy to replace it with a combo seat(hoping the Recaro Young Sport is as good as it looks) that will make her happier and keep her just as safe and I'll pack the Roundabout away for the next baby. If I had purchased a Marathon, I would have the "baby seat" struggle for many more years to come.

So, for very heavy/tall children that will need a higher weight harness seat to keep them harnessed until they are an appropriate age for a booster, I think the Marathon is great. But I really like that I can end the "baby seat" fight with my dd now instead of when she is 6.

JMHO
Niki

sarsah
05-17-2005, 09:18 PM
I am the current owner of a Britax Marathon, Roundabout and Super Elite (same as the Husky, but no LATCH). I will tell you they are all great car seats which I highly recommend whenever I can. I don't have any information about the Wizard, Decathlon or Boulevard.

If your child is at all on the tall side, I would go with the Marathon over the Roundabout. My DS#1 (turns 5 next week), grew out of the Roundabout soon after his 2nd birthday, due to height -- he's off the charts. My DS#2 (turned 2 last week) is close to the top harness slots on the Roundabout. He's still got a ways to go before he outgrows it, but I know he'll be too tall before his 3rd birthday and LONG before he's ready for a booster seat. His main seat is a Marathon and we have nothing but good things to say about this seat.

My DS#1 currently rides in a Super Elite (Husky) and it is also a great seat. He doesn't sit still well, especially in the car and although he rides in a booster on occasion, I feel better about him being harnessed. While I love the Husky seat it is huge and heavy. It's not something you want to be moving from car to car and it's too big to use on an airplane. I think it would be a good choice if your child has grown out of the Roundabout or Marathon (we bought our SE a few months before the Marathon came out. DS had outgrown his Roundabout and the Super Elite was pretty much the only harnessed seat that he wasn't too tall for).

So far we do not have any issue with DS#1 resisting the car seat, even at almost 5 years old. Most of his friends are in booster seats, but it doesn't seem to bother him that he is still harnessed. It may have something to do with the fact that he can easily get the harness fastened, but sometimes has trouble with the regular seat belt with the booster.

Sarah.....mom to Jason & Devin

Lena
05-17-2005, 11:58 PM
Thank you ladies for all of your great ideas. This is exactly what I was looking for :-)

MsImelda
05-20-2005, 12:43 AM
hi Lena,

You mentioned that there is a sale going on at TRU where they give you a $10 card with a large purchase. How large should the purchase be? And do you need to have a coupon?

thanks

Imelda

Lena
05-20-2005, 02:17 AM
The coupon came in the mail to me, since I am registered with RUs. The times also has the coupon some times. It's either $50 or $70. With a Britax either one will work. If you don't get anything from RUs, you should register. I get coupons from them very often.

Joolsplus2
05-20-2005, 08:09 AM
But where did your dd get the idea it is a "baby" seat???? Kids sit in what mamas put them in, and don't know any different unless you tell them.
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/FFalbum.aspx My dd is in the Ashley Floral, and she cries when I tell her she'll be too big for it soon.

:(
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

zen_bliss
05-22-2005, 02:15 PM
i don't consider the roundabout a waste of $$ at all! my tall 2 year old still has room in it before she hits the limit. The RA allows me to keep her rearfacing. i could not put a marathon rearfacing in my car, which is a big volvo 240 wagon. the MA is significantly larger than the RA.

Joolsplus2
05-22-2005, 04:19 PM
That only depends on how reclined you install it...for a newborn, yes, the MA is longer, front to back and eats up more of your front seat passenger legroom, but for an older baby, the MA doesn't take up any more room front to back than the Roundabout, and some of us even find it can take up LESS space than the Roundabout or the infant seat.

Just one of those "Ripley's believe it or not" things, lol.

:D

Rachels
05-22-2005, 04:26 PM
Just wanted to add my agreement that the RA has not at all been a waste of money. My three year old still fits in it just fine, and it has been a breeze to travel with and to use. We'll move her to a Marathon when the new baby comes, but the RA was a good buy. Given that the next child will use it, too, we'll get a good 5-6 years of use out of it.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
New baby coming in October!

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif[/url]
Nursed for three years!

Joolsplus2
05-22-2005, 05:11 PM
I know many petite or short torsoed kids who fit in the RA till age 4 or 5, easily, and isn't it a breeze to install and use? I may not recommend it often, and I've never owned one, but secretly it's my favorite seat, lol.

:D

randomkid
05-22-2005, 06:44 PM
I am also starting to research carseats and have been reading with interest. My DD is 18 weeks old and weighs 12 pounds. She is 24 inches now, but has long legs. The future is hard to predict, but do you think the RA would be a good choice for us? I don't plan to have another baby, so whatever we get will need to last for us. When she outgrows the RA would we most likely need something like the Marathon? The Decathlon and BV seem like alot of seat - what are the advantages of them? I went to the Britax website and they aren't even listed there!

Thanks,

Joolsplus2
05-22-2005, 10:40 PM
Well, the Marathon and Boulevard and Decathlon (the last two are BRU exclusives) really DO tend to last a couple years longer than the Roundabout...for instance a kid who would make it to 4.5 in the Roundabout would make it to 6.5 in the Marathon (and then it would expire...car seats are like milk, they expire after 6 years...ok, more like canned soup, lol), so you could use your Marathon the whole time. And yes, harnessing as long as possible is safest...my kids are 7 and 5 and still harnessed (though my 7 yo is in a Husky)...here's my dd now http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/FFAlbum/Sarah.aspx her other rearfacing picture is in my signature.

Some people are happy with their Roundabouts, and then go on to buy a bigger seat later, with taller top harness slots, like the Marathon, or something less expensive that's not quite as nice, but is still very safe...and THEN kids can go to a cheap booster seat. But if you get the MA or BV now, it will last till a kiddo is ready for a booster seat.

Either way you go is fine...I know that BV seems huge, but it won't for long and you might be happy you have it and get so much use out of it...and the Marathon is a great choice, as well, I've been really happy with mine.

:)

Lena
05-22-2005, 11:58 PM
Julie,

I am so greatful, and I am sure many other ladies are here too, for all your great answers. After reading your posts, and doin'g much more research I've emded up w/ the choice for the Boulevard. We have one Marathon and are happy with it, but wanted another car seat for DH's car. I've seen 2 BVs and both int he same UGLY color, and we so didn't like the color that almost agreed on getting another Marathon. We still have some time to think about it, but I just wanted to know if BV is really better th Marathon in YO. I've seen your pics of dd, she looks comfy, and so does ours in the MA. So it's just got to the point do we look for a prettier BV or go with many choices in color of MA. Thanks,
Lena

Lena
05-23-2005, 12:55 AM
Julie,

I thought that BV is the old Wizard, and that BV must be better. People are still getting the Wizards, and calim to savings of $100. SO I guess, it's down to BV/Maathon/Wizard. What would you pick? or anybody else here?

Thanks,
Lena

randomkid
05-23-2005, 07:34 AM
Julie:

Thanks so much for your expertise. When you are answering Lena's question, what about the Decathlon? You don't mention it much. How is it different from BV?

Thanks again,

jumelles
05-23-2005, 07:38 AM
Lena,
I have found myself asking the same question you are. I have decided to go for the Wizard, despite not liking the choice of seat covers. BritaxUSA.com has a floral cover just for the head rest (Foofy, I think it is called) that you can put on and makes the denim more girlie. You can get a Wizard at BabyUniverse.com for $215.99 with the MAY10PER coupon code. That is a lot cheaper than the Boulevard (or Wizard or Marathon) at BRU. The Boulevard is not even available my my BRU.

When I started this process, I was leaning toward a Parkway, but decided my girls are not ready for a booster. So, I was on to the Cargo or Generations. After seeing those seats at BRU, I couldn't get them. Compared to a Britax, those seats just didn't feel solid. While spending $400 plus (we have twins, so we have to buy 2) on carseats was not in my budget, we decided it was the right thing to do.

HTH,
Brigitte - Sure wish they had the Marathon/Wizard at BRU when I did this 3 years ago.
Francie and Lily 7/1/01 - We went through all this 3 years ago and she ended up getting us Britax seats. Why did she think she even bother considering another brand this time?

Niki_n_Abby
05-23-2005, 08:48 AM
I completely agree that kids sit in what their mothers put them in(which is why she is still in the RA) but as I said, she is very into being a big girl and when she sees mommy and daddy using seat belts, friends using boosters, etc, she want to as well. At 2.5 she isn't stupid, she can see that her seat is different from the others and wants to be like the big kids. I've never told her it was a baby seat, we actually call it her "Abby seat" trying to make it special. That doesn't mean that she'll get to use a BPB, but I will get her a combo seat that sits on the seat instead of a base so she can still be harnessed but also be HAPPY. I'd rather have her safe and happy, then safe and fighting her seat the entire trip.

Niki

Joolsplus2
05-23-2005, 03:13 PM
The Decathlon is more like a giant Roundabout...it has the push button adjuster and single LATCH strap (rather than a big metal bar on the seat with dual latch straps on the Boulevard, Wizard, Marathon)...It also has three crotch strap positions and extra infant padding. The only reason I don't rave about it, is that several moms have had issues with the harness adjuster being impossibly sticky to use and hard to pull, and I'm concerned there may be some issue with the adjusters on this whole first batch of Decathlons. I think it's a lovely seat, though, especially for very tiny babies, and fortunately BRU has an awesome return policy in case the adjuster is one of the bad ones...so if you just love it, then I'd go for it.

Lena
05-23-2005, 06:48 PM
Julie,

You have pry didn't see my questions before the last about Decathlon. Any thoughts on my issue?

Thanks,
Lena

Joolsplus2
05-23-2005, 06:56 PM
Oh goodness, Lena, I did miss that!

Honestly, I think they are all great, and you could really go with the one that fits your budget or taste better...ie, the MA has some purty cute covers, and it's cheap ;).

If it were me? Today? I'd get the BV...well...probably...I also like the WZ and MA and DC! But if you amortize the cost of the BV over the lifespan of the seat, it really doesn't cost much more per day to use.

Of course IF you can find a WZ for $99, I'd get that!

Lena
05-23-2005, 07:02 PM
You are amazing with that kind of speed of your reply :-)

Thank you so much!

If I can go past the color of the cover of BV we will get it, and if not, we will get one of three. The cost is not an issue, safety and comfort are! TRU have $15 on any seat now, and I have one for $10 gift card if I spend $75, so that's a $25 less. We will pry go on Th, as today my baby is turning ONE :-)

Thank you so much, again :-)

randomkid
05-23-2005, 10:11 PM
Lena,

Sorry! It seems that I hijacked your thread - we all have so many questions about these seats and Julie is awesome. Can you forgive me?

Lena
05-24-2005, 12:09 AM
Sure, the more we share here, the more we all learn :-)

JodiM
05-24-2005, 04:59 AM
I'm going to butt in here, as I have had all of these but the husky.

The roundabout is a nice seat, but you are better to spend a bit more money and get one of the 'bigger' seats.

The marathon is a nice seat, made very sturdy, fairly easy to adjust (once you get the hang of it) and some cute covers available.

The wizard is also nice, has the side impact protection, and is fairly easy to adjust as well.

The decathalon and I didn't get along... the cover started to get 'wear' spots on it after les than 5 weeks. We also had lots of problems with one strap seeming to stay loose (it wouldn't tighten as much as the other one) and I even had them pull through once, I had to push the button and let go to get it release the adjusting mechanism.

The boulevard, this is my favorite of all the seats you mentioned. We just got it for ds (exchanged the defective decathalon at BRU~ They have awesome customer service)
It is easy to adjust, has the true side impact protection and seems really well built (alot more sturdy than the wizard it seems?)
The inside even seems wider (not sure haven't climbed in to measure yet)
I put my ds in it today, as a bet with dh, who swears a 65lb child wont fit in there.
Ds is 9yo's and he fit with a bit of room to spare. I couldn't believe it!
I was thrilled, I have no doubt in my mind little ds will be able to use this seat until it expires.

~I also want to say something in regard to it being alot of money. I agree, it is alot.
But if you break it down into how many years they are using it, times that by the days in a year, and take that total number and divide the cost of the car seat by it, it is pennies per day.

LisaD_MomtoEmily
05-24-2005, 07:27 AM
We have a new DC and a new WZ. The DC harness-tightening mechanism (with the button) is a bit harder to use than the WZ's. I have to pull harder to both tighten and loosen. But I love the DC's plushness. The WZ is very easy to use, both the tightener and the knob for perfect harness adjustment. I originally got the WZ for the side-impact protective wings, then I decided they were too close to dd's face, then I changed my mind again and decided to keep it--they're not so bad. If I could do it all over again I'd get the BV instead of the WZ, as the wings are wider. But returning the WZ by mail to the .com I bought it from costs $47, so I won't.

Lisa D.
SAHM to Emily Rose born 6/22/04

randomkid
05-24-2005, 08:24 AM
Thank you for helping me narrow this down. Everyone has given great feedback and I think I now have a place to start. I'm down to the MA and BV. My DD is rather petite, so she may still be in the MA by the time it expires. I like the idea of the side impact protection on the BV though. I plan to go to BRU to check them out and try to make a final decision. Of course, by the time we need it , there may be something new!

Lena
05-24-2005, 07:00 PM
Thanks ladies. I am glad to see this Subject keep on going on. I am down to BV and Wizard myself. We have a Marathon in one car, and are going to get the 2nd seat this week :-)