PDA

View Full Version : Touriva Installation??

Syd
05-18-2005, 08:48 AM
My mom just bought the Cosco Touriva 5pt Convertible. It will be used as a second car seat in her vehicle. I have the Britax Wizard.

Last night, I tried installing the Touriva into mom's 2003 Chevy Trailblazer with LATCH. I swear I followed the directions and even rechecked multiple times. It's installed rearfacing and the seat is REALLY loose from front to back. The back of the car seat can touch the trailblazers' seat. Any idea what I've done wrong? I rethreaded the LATCH belt through the back hole of the seat and out through the sides - just as the instructions said. This seems totally unsafe the way it is.

My parents are taking my son today, so this morning, I installed my Britax into their Trailblazer. The installation was sooo easy and that seat is in there solid - it isn't going anywhere! (So, I know it's not the Trailblazers' problem.)

Any advice??

Joolsplus2
05-18-2005, 10:05 AM
I find I really need to use a rolled towel (for recline and stability) and the seatbelt for the Touriva when rearfacing...I think the seatbelt just works easier (except for threading it under the cover, that's a pain) than the LATCH to get it really tight. And even when it's installed tightly (no more than one inch of movement at the seatbelt or LATCH belt, though even if it's rock solid at the belt path) it STILL is super duper loose at the top...I know know know it looks dangerous and scary, but it's not dangerous at all, just really different from the RA. If you just can't get used to it, then you'd probably be happier with another Britax (not meaning to sound mean or like lah dee dah, we all have that much money, but I really think a parent should feel comfortable with the seat they have, know what I mean?)

But try again with the seatbelt and a tightly rolled towel and I think you'll get a more stable installation that feels a lot more safe and comfortable for you.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Syd
05-18-2005, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the advice, Julie! I'll try that tonight.

I do know what you mean about feeling safe with the seat. I was wondering this morning if we should get another Britax. I hate spending that money, but... I think I'd rather feel good about the safety than anything else. I'm glad to hear that although it's loose, it is still safe. It just really doesn't look it! We'll see how tonight's installation goes.

Thanks again for your help!! I soooo appreciate it!