PDA

View Full Version : Please help me figure out my carseat needs....

muskiesusan
05-19-2005, 09:36 PM
We are in need of an additional carseat and I'm not sure which one would be the best to get. DS1 is 3.5 yo, about 39 inches tall and 37 lbs. He's main carseat is a MA and we have a Graco Ultra Cargo in DH's car. DS2 is 13 mos, 29 inches, and 21 lbs. He is currently RF in a RA.

We are in need of an addtional carseat for DH's car and I am unsure what to get. Part of me wants to get an additional MA for my car and put the RA in DH's car, but would that be a waste of money? I assume that, perhaps incorrectly, that when DS2 outgrows the RA, DS1 would be about ready to move out of the MA and we could then move DS2 into that seat. If this is the case, should I just buy an Evenflo Triumph for DH's car?

What would make the best sense financially and for longevity? I should also mention that my Volvo has a built in booster (can be used 33-80lbs, 38-54 inches).

Or, should I just bite the bullet and buy the MA in Cowmooflage I lust after, lol.

TIA!

Edited to correct the carseat name in DH's car.

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

kijip
05-19-2005, 10:18 PM
I would get a second Marathon through one of the great sales and then move the RA to your husband's car. I don't think it is a waste because then you could keep both kids in harnesses until 50-65 pounds and about 5-6 years of age.

Joolsplus2
05-19-2005, 11:43 PM
Cowmoo! Cowmoo! Cowmoo! Have you seen the sales on these things lately? Go for it, go for it, go for it!

Not a waste of money at all, IMO (Ok, that was just my mom voice speaking...I've put my tech hat away for the evening ;) )
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

shishamo
05-20-2005, 02:17 PM
I would get a MA in Cowmoo. I just switched my oldest (5 years and 6 months) to my Volvo's built-in booster (and passed along his MA to my DD#1, and DD#2 got her RA which she just outgrew). I would not do this for anyone younger.

As for kids outgrowing carseats, I can tell you that my DS (5.5) is about 46" and 44lbs, and his shoulder is level with the tallest slot of MA.
DD#1 (3) is 39" and 36lbs, and her shoulder is almost level with the tallest slot of RA, although I can probably do a few more months in there.

If cost is a concern, I would do some type of convertible/booster, like Graco Platinum Cargo for your DH's car. That way, your DS can ride in it from convertible age to booster age, while your DS#2 can use your Comfortsport.

But I would highly remommend Cowmooflage, I have both my RA and MA in Cow and I love it, plus it hides all the spills and stains.

muskiesusan
05-20-2005, 03:26 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice. I actually have the Graco Platinum Cargo, not the Comfortsport, in DH's car (I got confused on the name!).

Reading your post Sara, I really do wonder if I need another MA. I figure DS2 can move into the MA when he outgrows the RA in two years or so, which would put DS1, then 5.5 in the built in booster. I just don't know if I can justify the extra $100+ on a MA, no matter how much I like the cover!

Decisions, decisions.

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

shishamo
05-20-2005, 06:59 PM
If you already have Cargo in your DH's car (I have one in my DH's car, too), than you can really just get something like Evenflo like you mentioned, plus you still have some money left to buy the cowmoo cover then? Hey, it's still cheaper than getting a new MA, and replacement cover is a good thing to have :-)