PDA

View Full Version : she's in the 97th percentile and about to outgrow the infant seat. HELP!

Wnderlnd
05-20-2005, 12:41 AM
Well, our daughter is growing like a weed. She is just 10 weeks old and already 14.5 pounds and 24 inches long. Only two more inches and no more infant seat for her. YIKES!

I am strongly leaning toward the Britax Marathon or RwoundAbout, but with the height and weight limits being higher on the MA, we may go with that.

Problem is that we fly at least twice a year to cross country to visit my folks and we want an easy and safe way to di this. We are sticklers for buying her a seat...besides, I am not sure my arms will hold out for 5 hours straight. If she's comfy and happy, we're comfy and happy.

I have read about the Triply Play Sit-N-Stroll. Has anyone used this? I don't hink we'd use it for our everyday seat, but for travelling, it is a great idea. Is it practical?

She loves her sling (me too), so we are okay inside the airport, but want to bring the stroller for when we arrive. Since this is our first baby and we've never travelled with her before, I have a hard time seeing us pushing a stroller and carrying a bulky (and heavy) carseat through the airport. I know I have seen other people doing it, but they looked miserable.

Is there an easier way? (We are thinking of shipping the stroller to my folk's.) I guess I am also leary of buying a cheap stroller to use there since she's so young and doesn't have head control yet.

Hmm...any suggestions would be helpful.

kijip
05-20-2005, 01:36 AM
I would get a Marathon over the RA since it will last taller kids soooo much longer.

As for travel, it is possible to get a cheap seat (like the Cosco Touriva) to take on flights or to bring your MA- lots of folks do! When we travel, we have actually rigged our Britax to our stroller to get carseat, stroller and child through the airport. It works just fine---use the carseat on the plane and gate check the stroller.

I have not heard any positive IRL, "we love our Sit and Stroll" reviews and it is a hassle to install as a carseat- but I have limited experience, I am sure someone loves it. As stroller it seems lacking- too low, no real recline, no anopy and no storage. Not my idea of a nice ride.

Here is my airport/carseat/stroller rig:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/25978.jpg

I have posted this before - Toby was about 13 months in this picture. Now he walks a lot and we use a smaller Maclaren stroller.

I know others here will have advice as well.

DebbieJ
05-20-2005, 08:35 AM
Get the Marathon. You won't regret it. It's comfy, easy to install, plus there are lots of cute prints! Oh, and it will last a long, long time.

We take our Marathon on the plane with us and do a similar thing as Katie with the stroller (P3) and carseat. I wrote in depth about our travel routine in this post http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=13&topic_id=23379&mesg_id=23379&listing_type=search

Good luck!

~ deb
DS 12/03
And a niece or nephew arriving in early August!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

Wnderlnd
05-20-2005, 10:28 AM
Wow, thank you so much for the info...I totally feel better abut this and will investigates these car seats with DH.

Thanks for the pictures, too. THat really makes it all seem more "do-able." We have also learned that since we purchased a seat for DD, we get her her two pieces of carry-on as well.
I hook my diaper bag onto her stroller whenever we are out with those hooks--love those! I guess we'll put her car seat in the stroller, (we just have a Graco MetroLite right now, but it works fine for us), hook the diaper bag on the stroller and put her in the sling. We also always travel with a small rolling suitcase between us for our carryon items because DH will have to bring his computer with us. The computer bag sits ontop of the suitcase and saves our backs. Yep, now I can see it! THANKS!!!