PDA

View Full Version : Confused 1st time Mom - how many carseats do I need???

mannejohnson
05-22-2005, 04:43 PM
I have a 6 month old who is 17 pounds and 27.5" long. He has outgrown his Peg Perego Infant Seat and I need to get another car seat soon!

But, I am confused as to what comes next. Do I need to buy a convertible car seat and then a booster seat? The car seats restrictions and limitations are like Greek to me.

My first concern is safety and I have researched and like the Britax (either Roundabout and Marathon) as well as the Evenflo Triumph. Any opinions on one versus the other?

Also, I think we need to get 2 since my husband and I. This is a bummer because they are expensive!

Please help!
Melissa

jesseandgrace
05-22-2005, 06:58 PM
I would get a convertible seat, it will be years before you need a booster. I just moved my four and a half year old to a booster a few weeks ago. I would also go with the Marathon if you want to get longer use out of it, it is bigger. If you drive two cars frequently I would get two, because it is not easy to install a carseat well, it takes time and patience to get a solid fit and use the tether, so it is hard to move it between cars.

pittsburghgirl
05-22-2005, 07:27 PM
Do you use both cars equally? We got a Britax Marathon, which will last you the longest, for my car since I'm a SAHM and DS is with me 95% of the time. Eventually (way down the road) you should be able to "graduate" to an inexpensive backless booster straight from the Marathon, if you want. (Or to a different type of booster, but for now you need a convertible.)

For DH's car (and air travel) we got a Cosco Touriva at Walmart ($40). Honestly the seat is not as nice as the Britax but as long as it's installed and used properly it is safe. I took care to learn how to install and use both my seats and we feel they are both safe, but the Britax is more comfy for everyday use. There was no way I could buy two Britax seats, and after taking our Marathon on the plane once I decided I would not try it again, it is a very heavy seat.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png