PDA

View Full Version : Quick Accident Help Needed

em_jon98
05-23-2005, 07:08 PM
Lindsey and I were just in a minor accident on our way back from Ohio. I sideswiped a semi. My car is drivable, and just scratched up on the side. We hit and bounced a bit, but didn't really have a serious collision of any kind.

Do I need to go and buy her a new car seat now? I'm pretty shaken up and have some back related stuff going on, so my SIL and BIL are on their way down to pick me up, drive Lindsey and I back to their house where DH is going to meet us and take us home. I'm going to have to go to the ER for my back related issues either at my SIL's or at home, depending on how bad it gets. But, we have at least a three hour drive to their house and I'm in a major metro area right now, so I can run to BRU and pick up a Marathon or whatever.

I'm fairly sure all you CPS techs are going to tell me to replace the seat. Our insurance agent told me to ask the state trooper if we needed to replace it, and the cop said he didn't know.

So, 1) Do I need to replace the seat and, 2) Do I need to do it right now, before we go anywhere else?

Thanks...and sorry this is long winded. I'm a little shaken right now.

Joolsplus2
05-23-2005, 07:55 PM
You poor thing! How scary :(

Odds are good that if you can drive your car, and the damage is basically cosmetic to your car, and not on the side right next to the car seat, then it doesn't need to be replaced.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/childps/ChildRestraints/ReUse/RestraintReUse.htm

Has all the guidelines.

NHTSA Position

NHTSA recommends that child safety seats be replaced following a moderate or severe crash in order to ensure a continued high level of crash protection for child passengers.

NHTSA recommends that child safety seats do not automatically need to be replaced following a minor crash.

Minor crashes are those that meet ALL of the following criteria:
o

The vehicle was able to be driven away from the crash site;
o

The vehicle door nearest the safety seat was undamaged;
o

There were no injuries to any of the vehicle occupants;
o

The air bags (if present) did not deploy; AND
o

There is no visible damage to the safety seat

Clarifying the need for child seat replacement will reduce the number of children unnecessarily riding without a child safety seat while a replacement seat is being acquired, and the number of children who will have to ride without a child seat if a seat were discarded and not replaced. The clarification will also reduce the financial burden of unnecessary replacement.

Background

Recent studies demonstrate that child safety seats can withstand minor crash impacts without any documented degradation in subsequent performance.

The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia ( ICBC ) subjected nine new and used child seats restraining 3-year-old dummies to a series of 50 consecutive 15 km/h sled tests into a 40% offset barrier. Three seats were inspected visually; no damage was apparent as a result of the impacts. Three seats underwent x-ray inspection; no damage was detected. Three seats were tested in accordance with Canadian federal standards (CMVSS 213) and were found to be in compliance with all standards.

ICBC performed four vehicle crash tests at 48 and 64 km/h, with two child seats restraining 3-year-old dummies in each vehicle. Each seat was subjected to multiple impacts and visually inspected. Defects were noted and the seats were re-tested. Seats always performed as well in subsequent tests as they did in the first test.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) performed 30 mph vehicle crash tests with dummies from six months to three years in a variety of child restraint systems (CRSs). Most seats sustained minor damage (e.g., frayed webbing, small cracks in the hard plastic shell, strain-whitening on the plastic shell or chest clip) but all dummies remained well secured by the restraints. Four of the damaged seats were subjected to three additional 30 mph crash tests. Although additional minor damage was observed in subsequent tests, the seats met all federal standards.

The agency searched for, but was unable to find any cases in which a child safety seats were damaged in a minor crash (as defined in NHTSA Position).

Note:

The agency is committed to maintaining policies that are science-based and data-driven. Stakeholders with data that address post crash re-use of child safety seats are encouraged to provide this information to the agency.

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

em_jon98
05-24-2005, 01:02 PM
Thanks Julie!!! I knew you would know the answer. I'm sorry I didn't reply last night, but we were about 30 seconds away from a temper tantrum at Panera Bread.

The impact was to the passenger side, and Lindsey's seat was in the middle of the backseat. We were on the highway, so driving about 70 mph, but the airbags did not deploy. We were able to drive away and drive a few hundred more miles to SIL's and then home, so the car is driveable, but definately damaged, and one of the tire wells was bent inward in a manner that made it iffy on driveability. I think I have some whiplash, but I have existing spine issues in my neck, so I'm not sure that the impact didn't just jar things that were already a problem. I did not end up going to the hospital last night, but probably will be going later today as my neck, shoulders, and rib cage are getting progressively more painful. Lindsey is completely fine.

So, I didn't replace last night. I read the info you gave me above (Thanks! Very helpful, as your info always is :)) but I'm still borderline on if we need to replace. We have State Farm, so I'm sure they will pay for whatever we want to do (at least that is the indication my agent gave me yesterday.) Since her seat is in the middle, it wasn't on the side of impact, but I am worried about the speed of the impact. Is this more of a comfort choice for us on replacement? What I mean is, it seems like it is sort of a gray area on replacement, so do we replace if we feel more comfortable?

Thanks for your help! :)

stillplayswithbarbies
05-24-2005, 01:15 PM
I think if the insurance company will replace it, go ahead and do it. It's worth it for the peace of mind.

We were in a minor accident and did not fit the criteria for replacement, but the insurance company choose to replace it and so we did.

Joolsplus2
05-24-2005, 01:46 PM
<nodding head in agreement>...exactly, if they pay for it and it's not a big hassle, and it will make you feel much better than by all means, replace it.

OMG, you drove a few hundred miles and back after the crash? I'd have been a blithering lump of jelly! (Well, I know people can be amazing and just do what needs to be done under duress...but still, I think you're very brave!)

em_jon98
05-24-2005, 03:27 PM
No, no...I just drove the 30 miles from the accident scene into Indianapolis. My SIL and BIL met us there and my SIL drove my car to their house in Northern Indiana, and my DH met us there and drove us home. I was way too much of a wreck to drive all that way.

There is seperation on the bottom of the seat...the plate that is attached to the bottom of the seat (where you would adjust the recline) is loose. I just got off the phone with Britax, and they said that this is not really damage, HOWEVER, since I was injured, it is not considered a minor crash and they would follow the national guidelines and recommend that the seat be replaced. My State Farm claims rep initally gave me some indication that they would not pay for a replacement seat (even though my agent gave me the other impression) but, after speaking with his manager, said that they would replace it if it had visible damage or the manufacturer of the seat recommended replacement.

So, I'm off to order a new seat. I briefly considered replacing with a Wizard because of the side impact protection and the super cool harness adjuster, but I think Lindsey is one of the kids that the "wings" will bother. I think I'm just going to get another Marathon. I just have to decide on color. Lindsey like the Cowmooflage when we were looking at replacement covers a few weeks ago, but I'm partial to the Ashley Floral. It's her seat, so I should probably get the Cowmooflage, but I'm not sure I can look at something so loud every day.

Again, thanks for the help!

Joolsplus2
05-24-2005, 04:21 PM
One thing to know is...the Cowmoo hides dirt a little better than the Ashley...I've seen ancient cowmoos that look like brand new, but my Ashley shows every little speck...it DOES make me VERY happy to have in my car (all yellow and joyful and pretty...so happy!), however, and it washes up beautifully, but it just shows more dirt, is all. So if your dd wants the cowmoo, is that enough of an argument for it?

:D

em_jon98
05-25-2005, 04:11 PM
Hmmm...that is good to know! I went ahead and got her the Cowmooflage. She is almost three and I figured if she was going to express an opinion, and it is her seat after all, we should probably listen.

Thanks again Julie! :)