PDA

View Full Version : infant car seat - am I the only one who feels not comfortable deciding what fits?

elke
05-25-2005, 11:48 AM
Hi,

We are having a tough time finding a carseat that fits our Mazda Protege5 , which is a hatchback/wagon style. It actually feels pretty roomy in the backseat, and neither of us is supertall either, however, all seats we have tried so far made it necessary to put our front seats forward by a bit, which is an issue for the driver's seat. We could of course avoid this by installing the seat behind the passenger seat, but we would really like to have it in the middle for safety reasons.

Also, even though we are able to put all seats in the car, I have really no clue if they are installed correctly or a good fit - even after reading posts on this. The problem is that we have yet to find a store where they have the manuals with their try out models.

We have tried these seats so far:

1. Babytrend latchloc: tried it twice, thought it was fine the first time, but realized that we couldn't actually get any tight fit at all with the rigid latch. don't know if we overlooked something...for the seatbelt installation in the middle, we felt it wasn't tight at all either. Due to the handle of the seat, we had to move both seats forward.

2. Graco snugride: didn't like the seatbelt installation, less of a seat moving forward issue. What I don't like about this seat is that it only goes to 20 pounds/26 inches and costs just as much as the baby trend.

3. Combi Tyro: could fit the base 80% plus on the seat (it's rather long and they recommend 80% on the seat), and we actually thought the seatbelt installation was rather easy and tighter than on other seats, but with the handle down, we have to move both seats forward (even when it's already set for me, the 5'3 driver). we can then push the driver's seat back again, which makes the carseat in the middle go a little more toward the passenger side, but i guess that's not safe???
We liked that seat more than the other 2, and they all cost $90 (Tyro's on sale).

4. Britax Companion: We only tried this one on passenger side, again had to put the seat forward quite a bit.

My question is: Do we just have to resolve ourselves to not being able to install any seat in the middle without moving driver's seat forward? Should we just go with the smallest seat (graco snugride), despite not liking it too much because it's the only one that can be safely installed?

I tried searching the carseat compatibility database, but there's nothing on our car, since it was only made for 2 years in the US. But just for comparison, our back is roomier than a Honda Civic's, and really not cramped at all. The car is somewhat similar to a Toyota Matrix, and very similar to the Mazda 3 hatchback/wagon.

I could possibly even get the Tyro from the store and have it inspected by a technician before committing to buy, but I haven't been lucky yet finding any safety inspections here in san diego.

Does anyone have any input on this matter? Any car owners or safety seat inspectors who have experience with our car?
Or does someone know where/when clinics in san diego are held?

Thanks!!
elke

Joolsplus2
05-25-2005, 11:56 AM
The brand new Gracos are good to 22 pounds and 29 inches tall, and the bonus is you can leave the handle up when it's in the car, so you won't need the extra space for putting it down. For installing it, you'd probably need to use a locking clip to keep the middle shoulderbelt (I'm assuming you have a middle lap/shoulderbelt?) from pulling the base up sideways.

I have a friend down there, I'll IM her and see if she knows anything about inspections....

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Splash
05-25-2005, 11:59 AM
Well I test drove on once and put two RF convertible seats in it, but that's not your question...
A CPS tech can probably get it tighter than you can, and maybe not.
OR, you could just not use the base, and buckle it in each time. It really is NOT a big deal after you have done it a few times, and technically the seat is safer without the base.
Or there is a new SR out that goes to 22/29, so that might work. See if you can find one somewhere. I don't know how it compares in size to the old ones though.
Good luck!
E

Joolsplus2
05-25-2005, 12:06 PM
Supposedly there's lots going on in SD, you should be able to find a tech or check... http://www.safekids.org/state_display.cfm

The base on the new snugrides is exactly the same as the old one, the top of the seat is just a little taller.

Yes, you may have to put your front seats up a little, you'll get used to it (much easier than the complete lack of sleep you're in for ;) )
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

DebbieJ
05-25-2005, 12:26 PM
The CHP does seat checks. Try calling your local CHP station.

~ deb
DS 12/03
And a niece or nephew arriving in early August!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

elke
05-25-2005, 12:44 PM
Thanks Julie!
there happens to be an inspection event this weekend in san diego!!
i probably won't be able to find a larger snugride by then, but at least can have the tyro or other options checked - or just have a regular snugride checked, then return to the store (is that sneaky?)?
elke

neocorgi
05-25-2005, 01:27 PM
>I haven't been lucky yet finding any safety inspections here in
>san diego.
>
>Does anyone have any input on this matter? Any car owners or
>safety seat inspectors who have experience with our car?
>Or does someone know where/when clinics in san diego are
>held?
>

FYI
SDPD Traffic Dept sponsors carseat inspections twice a month. it's really helpful. i highly recommend going, especially our first-time moms. we learned SO MUCH -- from using LATCH, safety clips and seatbelts, installation in the middle seat (which didn't work for us) & outboard position to adjusting the straps and general use of our carseat. i can't say enough good things about our experience.

info
SDPD Traffic Dept -- (858)495-7800
no appointment necessary
inspections are done every FIRST and THIRD Tuesdays of the month. NO inspections done on rainy days.
address -- 11885 Cypress Canyon Road (Scripps Ranch area)
AM inspection starts at 8:30am. only the first 25 people on the sign-up list will be helped
PM inspection starts at 11:30am. only first 15 people on the sign-up list will be helped

give them a call to see if these info are still accurate. we went late January.