PDA

View Full Version : OMG! Neighboors Dangerous Install of Carseat. WWYD? (Long...)

jkpalotay
05-26-2005, 11:12 AM
I've been reading all the recent threads about this with interest. Yesterday, I was getting out of my car, and I noticed that the upstairs neighboors in my apartment complex had recently switched their 9 month old from his Snugride into a convertible. However, they have the baby FF, in the front seat of their small car, RIGHT in front of the airbag, with the seat strapped in as if in booster mode! I couldn't believe it. I called the non-emergent police number this morning, to check what exactly the laws were in Oregon, and they said that as long as the child is IN a carseat, there's nothing they can do. I told them that there was no way they were following the carseat manufactuer's (sp?) guidelines, but the police said in Oregon, it doesn't matter.

All I've been able to picture since last night is either the little boy being thrown forward in a crash, and breaking his neck, or the airbag going off and killing him. My stomach is in knots.. I wasn't thrilled with the installation of their Snugride, but it wasn't *that* bad..

One more thing, the family is Korean, (I believe), and I haven't seen the mom more than three times since she had the baby nine months ago. I'm not sure if this is a cultural thing? I really don't want to offend them, since I don't know them very well, and I have to continue to live next to them. However, I refuse to let this go, with the child in so much danger. Should I just leave some brochures, or should I voluenteer to educate them and show them the correct way to install the carseat?

Thanks,

Kelli
Mommy to Luke (April 2003)
Hoping for another this year sometime!

DebbieJ
05-26-2005, 11:17 AM
Honestly? I would probably knock on their door and offer to help them install it. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I saw that and did nothing.

I would approach them very apologetically--I'm sorry to bother you and I don't want to offend you, but I noticed your child's carseat...are you aware that they are supposed to remain rear-facing until they are at least one year and twenty pounds...can I help you fix it....

Good luck and please let us know what happens! Maybe this could open the door to playdates together or something!

~ deb
DS 12/03
And a niece or nephew arriving in early August!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

Joolsplus2
05-26-2005, 11:21 AM
Let me check and see if there are any printable brochures or something in Korean...I'm sure language is a major barrier to CPS education...it has to be...I have SO many Indian children in my kids' school, who are in Mercedes and Lexuses, and they are wealthy and educated, so they have no need to go to any kind of public services office, so they just have no access to proper information, and no foundation of CPS from India to go on.

Anyway, let me see what I can find, I'm sure they'd take kindly to your gentle efforts and something in their most familiar language.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

jkpalotay
05-26-2005, 11:27 AM
Thanks, girls! The language thing was exactly what I was concerned about. They do speak English, but not great. The husband has a highly technical job in computers, but I'm just not sure what their grasp in general is. Also, the parent I have really talked to in the past was the wife, and I'm only seeing the husband around now. I don't want to seem like the bossy neighbor, when he really doesn't even know me.

However, I will do anything if a child's life is possibly in jeopardy...

Kelli

Joolsplus2
05-26-2005, 11:33 AM
The best I could find was a free single copy that you have to order and can't print ... http://www.carseat.org/Resources/101_resources.htm#brochures

Anyway, just talk to her, I don't think she'll be mad at you.

:)

nitaghei
05-26-2005, 12:00 PM
GRRR about the Indian kids - and most of their parents don't have lack of language as an excuse. I can say this, because I'm Indian. :) The Indian immigrant community in the US, by and large, is highly educated and well-off. I know lots of Indian parents here, who are much, much, wealthier than we are, most of whom have at least one Ph.D. and another advanced degree between then. So clearly, these people know how to research. And they still have junky carseats in their Mercedes, BMWs or whatever.

My kid's still RF'g at 28 months, in my 9 year old LeSabre - and they look at me like I'm nuts for spending the $$ on a Britax.

Sorry for the hijack - but this is a pet peeve. :)

Nita (wool is my crack)
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

Joolsplus2
05-26-2005, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I know everyone seems to speak English beautifully, so I didn't even mention it, lol.

Maybe it's just a reflection of our utter lack of publicity for all things car safety related? There aren't ads for car seats anywhere, there are barely commercials to buckle up, if you don't go to public health care settings you don't even see posters with even a little information... Plenty of people are trying really hard to do this stuff, but boy, there's just not a lot of money being thrown at the cause... :(

jesseandgrace
05-26-2005, 05:10 PM
Definitely speak to them, but the previous poster who said do it in a very appologetic way was right on, this will be better as far as any cultural differences/barrier. If you have to, motion what the problem is, show them your car, whatever. I think that is a polite way of doing this, and definitely a safer way. Are you sure the car isn't so old that it doesn't have airbags? Not that there are not many other issues, but that seems like the most alarming. I was with some other parents the other day and one of them said straight out to another that her carseat straps were not right on the baby! I CAN NOT BELIEVE I DIDN"T NOTICE. She took the baby out and fixed it for the other mom right away even though it was a pain. It was definitely the right thing to do, and she was cool about it.