PDA

View Full Version : Techs and moms--Britax? Evenflo? What to do?

carrie81566
05-27-2005, 07:22 PM
I thought I was all set to buy the Evenflo Triumph DLX. Baby Bargains, which is really my only resource on this subject, really makes it sound like a perfectly reasonable alternative to the Britaxes, as far as both safety and ease of use. So does that recent Consumer Reports article.

But I've read a lot about Britax on this board (including "no Britax = bad parent?" lol) and now I'm wondering. And the prices on some of the websites posted recently bring the difference to only about $50 or so, which is not so bad. (The non-DLX Evenflo is cheaper, but it really seems comparatively unpadded to me.) And I also don't know anything about the "wings" or whatever they're called up by the head, or whether they matter. So I'd appreciate it if techs could chip in on safety and ease, and other moms on ease of use, and help me decide what to do.

Facts about us:
1) DS is nearly 5 months old and about 16-17 lbs by now. Fiftieth percentile in weight but everyone thinks he looks huge, prob. b/c he's a little short for his age, so he's chunky. But I don't think we're looking at a huge, off-the-charts kid or anything.
2) We both drive 2001 Subaru Outback wagons, and will until they drop dead. No new cars in our future. Both cars used about equally, so might as well get same seat.
3) We fly once or twice a year, but it seems all the seats we're considering are a PITA on a plane anyway? I'm willing to buy one of those Tourivas or Sceneras for a light travel/grandma seat if necessary, esp since we won't need it until next year, when we've gotten over spending $400-$500 on carseats!
4) DH is all thumbs, and I'm not a whole lot better. Ease of use is a big deal.

Sorry for the novel, but I really appreciate input from this board and hope it helps the others who are lurking here like me!
Carrie
Noah 1-4-05

carrie81566
05-27-2005, 07:24 PM
PS--And, if possible, I'd like NOT to buy another seat until he's ready for his booster.

tarahsolazy
05-27-2005, 07:31 PM
I bought a Triumph for our less used car, and a Roundabout for the most used car. I strongly prefer the Roundabout, and sold the Evenflo to my younger sister after less than 2 hours use. Its just heavy, hard to put in and out of the car, and the harness is not as adjustable, or not as easily adjustable as the Britax. If I had it to do over again I'd buy a Marathon, and that gets you all the way to belt positioning booster. I don't think no Britax=bad parent, but the Britax seats are so nicely padded and easy to use. If you can afford it, I'd say go Britax. Or, one Britax, one Touriva. If you can't, the Evenflo was pretty well padded, and DS seemed comfy in there.

Splash
05-28-2005, 06:25 AM
The Triumph is a bear to use. If you ever want to wash the cover, you need a screwdriver to take the seat apart. The way the harness height adjust scares me (just doesn't seem safe, even though I know it must be). The double harness thing is completely screwed up. It only goes to forty pounds, but it's pretty short, so unless your child is short, it might not make it that far. Then you need a high back booster, about $60 (although, let's adjust for inflation and say $70). So you have $150 for the seat and $70 for the booster, bringing you to $220. Of course you can get lesser quality HBBs (Cosco) for $40, so let's say your final cost is $190-220. But most kids will not want to sit in a HBB until they are ten (and the Cosco ones are really uncomfortable) so you might need a backless somewhere down the line anyway, so now we're back up to the $220 (the Graco HBB can convert to a backless).
Now, if you buy a Marathon (which you can get pretty cheaply online) he can use it to 65 pounds, a HUGE plus. From there, you go to a backless booster ($15). The cover is SO EASY to remove and wash. All you have to do is unthread the harness. No clips, no ties, NO screwdriver! It's super cushy comfy (I want one!) and comes in all sorts of cute fabrics that are nice and soft to a baby's skin. You can tether it RF and leave him RF until 33 pounds (about 3 years on average) which is a major safety plus. Plus, it's super easy to move from car to car, and you CAN take it on an airplane (though it might be worth you $40 for a lighter, smaller seat). The straps are not twisty at all (I have never had mine actually twist, even with a three year old buckling herself in), vs Evenflo straps which constantly twist. Picture yourself in the rain with a screaming baby and a toddler, and you deciding if the safety benefits of untangling them are worth the hassle right now, and then driving home with them twisted and hating yourself for doing it, but trying to convince yourself it's okay because the baby is RF. Anyhoo, I digress. Tightening the harness is really simple too, just pull (or push a button to loosen). No knobs to twist... So, you buy a MA for $186 online, and five years from now you buy a backless booster... again adjusting for inflation, let's say it $25. Your total investment is $211. For that you have harnessed your child until 65 pounds (unless he's tall, in which you have still harnessed him longer because the top slots are way higher) and you have tethered him RF until 33 lbs (vs not tethered and only until thirty lbs) and you have not had to break out a screwdriver and wrestle everytime he pukes or pees in his seat.
So, really, going with the MA is cheaper in the long run. Or, at best, a few bucks more. And it is a safer seat, not because the Evenflo is unsafe, but because this one can be tethered RF, goes RF to 33 lbs (not 30, which can be six months of growth), and harnesses to 65 lbs. So from 33-40 lbs, they are equally safe. From 5-33, the Britax (IMO) is safer, and from 40-65 the Britax is the only option (because it is DEFINITELY safer than a booster). And it is WAY easier to use.
Good luck!
E

carrie81566
05-28-2005, 08:10 AM
Good Lord, I didn't even know there were 2 kinds of boosters. It's hard enough to make the ten thousand consumer decisions that come with having a baby, without having to research what they will need as preschoolers, too. So thanks for that info.
Carrie

DebbieJ
05-28-2005, 08:48 AM
I will always recommend a Britax Marathon. We moved ds to his when he was 3 months old because he HATED the infant seat, would scream all the time. Now he falls asleep in the car!

Anyway, the previous posters gave you good info on why Britax is worth the money: rear-facing longer, ease of use, tethering, cushy seat, easy to install. I cannot tell you how much we love this seat.

I have also traveled with the Marathon and haven't had any problems, but many have purchased the Touriva/Regal Ride/Scenera for that purpose. My travel routine is posted here in this thread: http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=13&topic_id=23379&mesg_id=23379&listing_type=search

You can find great deals on Britax online, so don't buy it at BRU!

~ deb
DS 12/03
And a niece or nephew arriving in early August!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif