PDA

View Full Version : Is the Britax RA in a Subaru Outback a horrible fit? Help!

Beth568
05-29-2005, 08:30 PM
I have a Roundabout from 2002 (non-latch) and a 2004 Subaru Outback. We used the RA pretty easily in my last car with my first daughter, and now that DD2 is ready for a convertible seat, I'm trying to get it into my Outback. Outboard, passenger side. It's a NIGHTMARE - I can't get it tight no matter what I do.

Is there some trick with the seatbelt buckle that I should try? Do I need to use 6 pool noodles to get the right recline and fit? I've been trying one noodle underneath, plus a piece of nonslip carpet mat, and I've tried leaving the buckle where it is and twisting it - no go.

Any pointers? I'm ready to toss this one and get a newer LATCH seat just to save my sanity. Eek!

Joolsplus2
05-29-2005, 08:39 PM
It's just Subarus, they aren't like "super easy compatible" with any car seat :P

What about top tethering it? That should help a lot http://www.angelfire.com/wa3/isakswings/ratetherrf.html , and giving the female buckle stalk a few good twists to it's shorter and out of the belt path should help, and only locking the lockoff on the far side from the buckle, too.

But I think mostly it's the top tethering that should do the trick...I hope you still have your D-ring/tether connector strap....
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Beth568
05-29-2005, 09:25 PM
Thank you! I actually can't find the tether strap, but I just ordered an extra one from Britax (guaranteeing that i will now find the old one, LOL). I do think that will help. I'll twist that buckle, too.

Now I also need to figure out where I'm going to attach that tether strap when it gets here.

It really ought to be easier to install these seats, don't you think? I worry all the time about the people who just get frustrated and leave loose seats in cars for lack of a better fit. :(

holliam
05-30-2005, 06:44 PM
I had a thread here about a month ago looking for help if you look for posts by me. I have a latch-compatible RA though and with the tips we got here, DH got it installed in the center just right.

Holli