PDA

View Full Version : RF tether question for Odyssey and Saturn

Splash
05-30-2005, 07:41 AM
Okay, when the baby is born, I think our Odyssey is probably going to become the primary mode of transportation... hopefully I will like it more!
I *think* the setup we'll be using is this... remove the second row passenger side seat. Put 3.5 yo DD FF in second row driver side in BV. Put 2 y.o DD third row passenger side RF in MA, put baby third row center in BT latch loc. If it becomes too much of a pain to get DD2 into the seat like that, baby might be moved to third row driver's side. It would be easier to put DD2 RF in second row driver side, but that will be the only spot with FF tether, so I want our one FF child there. Now, this might not work because the girls might hate being separated... so then I might be stuck putting both the older girls in the third row and putting the baby in the second row. I guess we'll figure it out when the time comes.
So, my question is this... can I use the seat "hooks" for the tether. Maybe only someone with an Odyssey (Julie?) can answer this. You know when you remove (or move) the second row seats, where they connect to the car is left exposed? Honda gives a plate to cover them, but I never do. So basically you're left with a metal hook in the floor. If there is no seat attached to it, is it okay to use that for the RF tether? I personally can't think of anything BETTER to attach it to... I mean, it holds the whole SEAT in, what could be stronger? But I don't want to do it if it's a bad idea. Actually, I've had a seat tethered there before because it was where the CPS tech tethered a FF Evenflo Vanguard (when we only had one child, a 4 yo, our first with this van), he said it was the "right" spot, only for me to find out later he was very wrong, and there were in fact "real" tether points (I found this out only after trying to install another seat in the driver side, when our current DD1 came to use shotrly before her siter was born, and not finding these floor hooks, but finding the real tether hook). So, is it okay to tether the seat there? And does the layout I just described seem like the best one for our situation?
Also, one more question... about the Saturn, which we may or may not have (if they can't fix it this time, FL lemon law takes over)... do you think they can/will install a tether spot for RF? Probably not, eh? Oh well, doesn't hurt to ask. If/when our girls go back to their bio mom (unfortunately it is in the works... after more than two years...) we'll only have the baby... and I don't think we'll be taking in anymore kids. So, we may get rid of the van entirely. I never liked it, and with only one child we don't have a need for it. My MIL has expressed interest, so I might just sell it to her. So then we'd be back to putting the baby in a Saturn Ion and a Pontiac Aztek... I can tether RF in the Aztek to several spots, no problem... but the only spot I can find in the Ion is a bar going across the bottom back of the seat. Now, this IS a moving part... it would move when the seat moves. But honestly, the driver seat is very unlikely to move very often, if ever. I'm a bit taller than DP, but I normally don't bother moving the seat, and I definitely wouldn't if there was a tether attached to it. In this situation, is it okay to tether it to that? Otherwise I am really not finding a good spot, unless it is possible to get them installed in the floor.
Thanks!
E

carolines mommy
05-31-2005, 12:14 AM
We have an 05 Odyssey so maybe I can help with tether location. There are tether points on both second row seats and in the middle of the 3rd row seat you can use for FF DD1. Maybe you can put DD1 FF in the center of the 3rd row seat with the tether and DD2 and baby in the second row RF. DD1 and DD2 would still be able to see each other that way.

Erika
Mommy to Caroline Nov 03 and Chelsea April 05