PDA

View Full Version : Graco Platinum - getting a tight fit in a car w/o latch?

jasmine
05-31-2005, 12:44 AM
Hi,

I just purchased the Graco Platinum Cargo booster seat since DS is fast outgrowing his Britax Roundabout. I just tried installing it in my 1997 Honda CRV, but it doesn't seem to get super tight. The problem is, I push my knee down hard on the seat and it gets tight, but than I have to install the lock-off clip. It seems impossible to get the lock-off clip on at the proper location, and than click it into the seatbelt lock. Did I give up too easily (is there a trick?), or is there no way to really get a tight fit using the lock-off clips?

I know this wouldn't be an issue if we had cars with latch, but we probably won't be buying a new car anytime soon. Would any of the other booster seats (graco, evenflo, etc) work better with a car without latch? I got a great deal on the seat ($30 including tax from Toys R Us - brand new - used the coupons last week and the CS gave me $30 off since the box was open, but everything was still sealed).

Thanks!

Joolsplus2
05-31-2005, 08:49 AM
You don't need the locking clip! Ow, stop torturing yourself! I know, I know, it says you do if you have "sliding latchplates" but you have "switchable retractors"...you know how you pull your shoulderbelt all the way out and it retracts tightly? That is specifically for car seats :)
So, the trick actually is, since I've owned a Cargo and a CR-V, is to recline the back seat, then install the Cargo...climb on it, get the lap belt as tight as you can, switch the retractor (pull the shoulderbelt all the way out slowly, then let it feed back in, it'll make a faint click click click ratcheting sound), then PULL the back seat back into a more upright postition, and your seat will be totally rock-solid installed :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

jasmine
05-31-2005, 11:16 AM
wow, thanks so much! I definitely would not have gotten that from the manual (I think I ready it thoroughly :-)). I'm going to try this tonight (DH took my car).

Thanks so much for the quick and thorough response.

jasmine
06-01-2005, 01:19 AM
Hi Julie,

Thanks again so much. I tried your suggestion tonight and it is rock solid :-). A quick question :-), is it safer to leave the crv backseat slightly reclined, or fully upright after the carseat is completely installed?

I'm from the Bay Area. I hope you have a wonderful move and enjoy your new location.

Joolsplus2
06-01-2005, 08:21 AM
It's ok to leave it a little reclined, especially if you can't actually pull it up to completely upright, lol. No seriously, it's totally safe :)

I think I'm going to miss it here! DH has been in VA and tells me every day that "the afternoon thunderstorms are rolling in"...WHAT??!?!? It rains in summer?!?!?!? After 8 years here, I'm going to have to adjust to THAT! :D
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx