PDA

View Full Version : Can you fit 2 MA in a Volvo SUV?

luvmypeanut
06-01-2005, 01:10 PM
I've been able to fit a Touriva FF in the middle and the snugride behind the passenger seat. Now DS has grown out of the snugride and I need to get him a convertible seat. I have DD's MA coming in our shipment (we just moved from overseas) and would like to get another for DS. Does anyone know if you can fit 2 MA side by side, one RF and the other FF? If I have to put them both in the outboard positions, can an adult still fit in the middle seat?

Many thanks!

Joolsplus2
06-01-2005, 01:58 PM
That's a definite "maybe" ;). Iv'e seen RF and FF MA's in much smaller cars, side by side, so I think with a little wrestling and yoga positions, you should be able to do it. The general rule of thumb is to do the middle seat first (remember, do NOT use LATCH in the middle, you must use the seatbelt, in which case, it's easiest and actually safest to put the FF seat in the middle), and then do the other seat, outboard, with LATCH, I should think). If you can't get them in, then I hope the person in the middle is skinny! :D
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Marisa6826
06-01-2005, 11:17 PM
I had Mia's RA, Sophie's MA and Ishie's Wizard all in the back seat of my XC90 at the Retreat. It was pretty snug (I kind of had to push hard on the door to close it all the way), but all three of the seats were in securely.

If you put them both outboard, there's really no way an adult could easily get in the middle. I have Sophie's MA in the middle and Mia's RA on the passenger side. That leaves me room behind the driver for another passenger.

All were RF, BTW.

-m

luvmypeanut
06-03-2005, 12:45 PM
Thanks!

Marisa-is there a reason why you have Sophie in the middle seat? Just wondering if there was some benefit as my first thought is to have the baby in the middle?

Joolsplus2
06-03-2005, 01:36 PM
You want to put the rearfacing seat in the window seat, because rearfacing is so much more protective, and the forward facing kid in the middle, because forward facing is not quite as safe, and the middle seat is safest (RF babies stay snugggled in their nice protective seat shell in a forward or side crash, while bigger kids heads fly forward out of the sides of the shell and can strike the window in a side crash (though of course, with curtain airbags it doesn't matter quite as much...)

But since installing a forward facing MA in the center with the seatbelt is SOOO SOOO SOO much easier than installing it RF with the seatbelt...well, since, nothing...lol...it's just SO much easier, and safer, to put the RF seat in the window seat with the LATCH.

:)

Marisa6826
06-03-2005, 05:47 PM
Both kiddos are rearfacing - and will be till they hit 33lbs! ;)

I have Sophie in the middle so that I can hand her stuff - something I couldn't do if she wasn't right there. She's also used to that position.

I thought long and hard about putting Mia in the middle, but the reality is that it's easier for me to put Mia in her RA by having her outboard. I can easily lift her in and out of the seat without having to crawl up and into the car (I'm 5'1"). Sophie can climb into her MA and all I have to do is buckle her in. Since the Volvo has the side air curtains, I'm OK with having Mia not in the middle. It's also much easier if I have to stop and feed her. I can just stand next to her and give her a bottle, whereas, if she was in the middle, I'd have to move the dipe bag, etc. to sit.

Clear as mud, right? :P

-m

zoethebeagle
06-03-2005, 07:19 PM
I have an XC90 and I couldn't get my Advantage and my Marathon to fit well right next to each other (one FF and one RF). So now I have one on either side with space in the middle. We've had lots of adults fit fine in the middle seat- it's not a huge amount of space but everyone in my family can fit wearing their seatbelt (and my kids think it's hilarious!)

Erika

Joolsplus2
06-03-2005, 07:26 PM
So there ya go :). If they are both RF, they are both "most safe", lol (I think I read Katie say that to someone else ;) )

Jennifer96
10-24-2005, 12:45 PM
I can't fit a Marathon in the second row of my Volvo XC90 - it's a 2005 model - the headrest on the Volvo seat is tilted forward and can't be adjusted up or down, and so it prevents the Marathon (which is tall) from going all the way back against the seat (because it bumps against the forward-tilting Volvo headrest). Has anyone else had this problem? I don't know what to do, because my son has outgrown his Roundabout but is too young and short for a booster. Help!

Jennifer96
10-24-2005, 12:46 PM
[Sorry - need to check off so I'll be notified of any replies!]

Joolsplus2
10-24-2005, 02:32 PM
This is THE biggest bugaboo with this car (all volvos with the ultra-safe head restraint systems for adults that can't be removed, really!). I heard a rumor that someone got their headrest removed at the dealer, but it's not a commonly described practice, so I don't know if you'll have any luck with that. Or try something shorter, like the Platinum Cargo, which fits below the headres, or possibly the Recaro Young Sport (haven't tried it, but it sits lower and MAY work...if you can find one at a local store to test out).

I wish I had a *good* answer for this one! :P (maybe Britax should make seats for Volvo that would fit, or Volvo could start production of their own seats back up here...they have them in Europe more commonly, though you can maybe get the booster here from your dealer some day down the line...)

:)

Jennifer96
10-24-2005, 03:50 PM
Ah, I actually contacted the Volvo dealer about my problem. They wouldn't remove the headrest for liability reasons ("What if you take out the carseat someday and an adult sits in the seat before you have the headrest re-installed and there is an accident and the adult is injured?" ugh). On the side, a tech said that my husband might be able to remove the headrest himself, but we don't want to try that (my husband is not handy and I can just see us dropping bolts down inside the seat or otherwise destroying the seat somehow). I told Volvo that this was a real problem because people who buy Volvos for safety are also going to be buying Britax carseats - and I told Britax the same thing. Both companies seemed to be at the first of this problem and each suggested that perhaps the other company should do something in their future designs to rectify the issue. Geez.