PDA

View Full Version : RF Roundabout installation - does it matter which locking clip I use?

Beth568
06-02-2005, 08:38 PM
I'm still fighting to get this Roundabout RF in my Subaru. When I tether it, I can get a pretty tight fit, but it's not rock solid.

Two things:

1) If I use the locking clip that's closest to the seat belt buckle, is that OK? I feel like I could manage to pull the lap portion of the belt tighter, and hold it tighter, if I locked off that side. It seems like I get it tight, and then I lose some of the tension when I try to pull back on the shoulder portion of the belt.

2) Even when I get it in pretty tight, I don't like the way the shoulder belt pulls up one side of the seat - instead of sitting flat on the car seat, it's raised up on one side, which looks odd and makes me think it's not safe enough.

OK, I guess it's really 3 things...I've resorted to using a pool noodle to manage some recline, because even with the tether the thing is way too upright once I get it in there. But the noodle seems to compromise the tight fit. Are there tricks to using it that I don't know?

I need to have a tech look at this thing, but I haven't found anyone close by who's available until next week. And now it's getting personal - me against the seat, KWIM? ;)

Joolsplus2
06-02-2005, 09:20 PM
LOL...Break out the big guns ;)

Yes, you can lock either, neither or both lockoffs, depending on your seatbelts and what gets it tightest. I almost always lock the side next to the seatbelt...like grunt push pull grunt then CLICK and it's done...WAY to upright, and then I tighten the hell out of the tether. And don't lock the seatbelt (pull it all the way out at the shoulder) until the very last thing you do. In fact, you don't even have to do it if you gave the seat a jiggle and the lockoff stays locked, then it can't pull your seat up sideways. But if it's the last thing you do, and you do it really gently, then it shouldn't pull your seat up into a tilt.
If you use the noodle, then just REALLY push down on the front of the seat while you tighten the seatbelt...then you won't notice it's looser (honestly? I never need a noodle except for mercedes...do you happen to have a mercedes? ;) )
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx