PDA

View Full Version : What to do with old carseat??

punkadoodle2
06-03-2005, 11:25 AM
Hello there,

Have 2 carseats that are about to expire. Actually, one the Evenflo "on my way" has a date of Dec99. What to do with these seats?? Wasn't sure if it was safe to just throw them out. Help!!

Joolsplus2
06-03-2005, 11:40 AM
Destroy them as much as you can, and put them in black trashbags, if they'll fit in your garbage can...you really want to make them look NOT like carseats, so no one will trashpick them and use them in new and creative ways :P.

Or, if you have a DD, they make the funnest little doll seats!

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

punkadoodle2
06-03-2005, 11:45 AM
Thank you. I'll begin to destroy them. I know that's what should be done...but gosh, after you pay that much for something it's hard isn't it????

2 of them are old boosters, do they follow the same rules??

Edited, forgot this part.(oops, just said I had 2 seats. First was talking about the infant carriers, then remembered that my Brother gave me his boosters that his girls have outgrown....)

Joolsplus2
06-03-2005, 11:54 AM
yup, destroy destroy destroy.

I know how it feels though...I had my very first convertible, which had a huge flat base and great recline, in my kids' room for many months after it expired (years after they outgrew it...the top slots were a VERY low 13.5 inches!)...it was such a big comfy seat!

I found someone who needed the cover for the same model, and finally broke down and was able to let go...sent her the cover, kept the harness for memory's sake, and had my BIL destroy it at his body shop (he trashes all the crashed seats he gets there...lots of big tools...like chainsaws, are involved, lol)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

punkadoodle2
06-03-2005, 12:02 PM
OK, destroy it is. Gosh , we'll be busy for a while. LOL

One of these a friend gave me because she didn't know what to do with it. It was a lifesaver for me...I put the baby in it and buckled him in and took him in the bathroom with me while I showered. That way I knew my 4 1/2 yo DS couldn't "help me" with the baby and I could shower in peace!! I'd be afraid to offer it to someone else for the same purpose for fear that they'd use it in a pinch! I couldn't live with myself if something happened.

Thanks a bunch...carseats, here we come.

Anyone need a cover?