PDA

View Full Version : Combi Connection car seat

Tracy Mead
06-03-2005, 12:22 PM
I would like to purchase the "Combi Connection" car seat, however, there doesn't seem to be much feedback anywhere on it. Has anyone purchased and used this thing yet?? Can you help me?!

Thanks!!
Tracy

Joolsplus2
06-03-2005, 01:40 PM
I don't know of anyone who owns one yet, but here are pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/murphydog77/
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

nfowife
06-03-2005, 02:40 PM
I don't have the Connection, but I have the Tyro and just want to say I am very happy with it. From what I can see/have read, the Connection has improved some of the more "annoying" aspects of the Tyro so since I am happy with the Tyro and the Connection looks like it will be even better, I say go for it!
My main complaints about the Tyro are related to the installation, it was not easy to get in because the seat belt routers are kind of poorly designed and the recline knob is very poorly placed. But once you have it installed correctly (we had a tech help us), it's a great seat and very easy to use! The Connection looks like it has resolved those 2 complaints from the pictures that Jools posted above. I use it with the Combi Flash car seat carrier and couldn't be happier.

Tracy Mead
06-03-2005, 02:54 PM
Thank you SO much for your input!! I really appreciate it!

murphydog77
06-03-2005, 04:00 PM
Along with the pictures of it that Julie listed above, here's my review:

The Combi Connection infant seat is rated for infants under 22 lbs. and under 29�. The infant seat itself is light at about 7 lbs. (I don’t remember where I read that), but the base is pretty hefty for some reason. Online the seat will retail for $149 and is designed to fit into Combi strollers. I feel that the price is pretty steep given the lack of features (namely what parents are looking for in a seat—padding) in the seat, but it is in competition with the Peg Perego Primo Viaggio, not the Graco SnugRide. It’s an upper end seat with an upper end price.

Features: abundant EPS foam; egg shock foam; harness pads; ample belly pad; infant pad insert; harness adjuster can snap to cover to keep it from hanging; seat release lever on base; smart looking cover; compatible with the Combi City Savvy, Savvy EX, and DK-5 life style strollers; 7 year lifespan

Drawbacks: no padding on handle; no padding on seat once infant pad is removed; snag-friendly fabric; harness pads are 5� long; instruction manual; clip-style LATCH connectors; large chest clip

Bottom harness slot measurements: they are slanted / \ and measure 7.5� at the highest point and 7� at the lowest point with the infant pad in; without the infant pad, they measure 9� and 8.5�
*Oops! I didn’t think to measure the top harness slots or the distance to the crotch strap, but it didn’t seem excessive or too tight with either doll I used to test the seat with.

Instruction manual: Very poorly done—it explains things well, but jumps from talking about the infant seat to LATCH then to the infant seat then to installation then to the infant seat then to seat belt systems; it should have been organized into 2 sections: one on seat belt systems and installation and the other on the infant seat. There are also differences in illustrations between the manual and what is actually available on the seat. For instance, in the manual, the illustrations show the LATCH connectors to be the higher-end “alligator-style� that push onto the LATCH anchors in the vehicle; however, on the base, the LATCH connectors are just the clip-style. Another difference is the shape of the egg shock foam pad. The manual illustrations show it being a kind of trapezoidal square, but it’s actually a t-shape. The canopy directions are also very minimal and it would be impossible to remove the canopy following the directions in the manual if the supplement with b&w photos weren’t included. The manual also called the seat the “Prim Baby Car Seat.� Oops!

I also had some issues with the directions when it came to installing the base. For example, it said, “If your vehicle has the LATCH System, the LATCH System should be used whenever possible.� I agree, but I’m also trained. I think an untrained newbie parent would take that statement to mean that “I must use LATCH no matter what, even if it means that I shouldn’t use the center position of my car because I don’t have LATCH there.� Or even worse, the newbie parent will use LATCH in the center position of their car when they can’t because the vehicle manual doesn’t allow it.

Also, in the section regarding free-sliding latchplates, it said, “For rear-facing, use the locking clip to secure the lap belt (see “Locking Clip� section). For forward-facing, use the locking clip to secure the lap/shoulder belt.� (Emphasis added by me). There are a few things wrong with these statements, lol. A locking clip should never be used on a lap-only belt, nor should it be threaded only onto the lap portion only of a lap/shoulder belt. And, an infant seat should never be used forward-facing.

Harness: Pretty typical 5-point harness, though the chest clip is quite large for an infant seat. The harness adjuster felt stiff, possibly because of the way it’s routed on the bottom of the seat. It is routed through a plastic “tunnel� on the bottom curve of the seat that seems to cause friction. When tightened, it also causes the end loops of the harness to bunch up at times when the harness is shortened for a small baby.

Installation: Initially installing the base was a little awkward. I read the manual (OK, looked at the pictures) just long enough to be dangerous and not know what I was doing. This is a base where it’s unlikely that you’ll be able to install it correctly without looking at the directions. The belt path is a serpentine belt path. It goes through 2 blue belt guides on either side of the base, then is routed under the base. When installed with a lap/shoulder belt, the shoulder belt is left out of the belt path—no more tippy bases! Once you figure out the belt path, installation is very easy. I do wish the manual included installation photos of the base. The drawings just don’t explain it as well as a photo does. Here’s a trick: buckle the seat belt first, then pull some slack out (but don’t lock the belt). Lay the base across the lap belt, then pull the belt up and into the blue belt guides.

Installing the seat without the base was very easy as well. If the shoulder belt is long enough, it can be routed behind the seat first before going through the belt path for extra support. I believe that my seat belt was damaged when I installed the infant seat without the base. I have a run in my seat belt that’s about 1.25� long. I do plan to have the dealer replace the seat belt, but it was difficult for me to tell if the damage came from the seat or if it was a weak spot in the belt to begin with; the van is a new 2005 Sienna.

The recline was easy to achieve. There are 3 recline levels from which to choose and the adjuster was easy to use. I was able to get proper recline (according to the indicator) using 2 of the 3 recline levels on the base, though using no recline at all gave me the best results in my van.

Overall this is a smart-looking seat with nice safety features. With the infant pad, it should fit small babies nicely and has lots of growth room for larger babies. I wish it had more padding for both baby and parent.

Heather, CPS Tech
http://www.CarSeatSite.com

Tracy Mead
06-03-2005, 06:17 PM
WOW, THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH. Your response was MOST helpful.

Tracy

murphydog77
06-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Glad it was helpful!

Heather, CPS Tech

Maria in CT
06-07-2005, 09:25 AM
I know that you said that the Combi Connection was not direct competition with the Graco SnugRide, but I was wondering if there is anywhere that compares the two in terms of ease of installation, easy of use, features, safety, etc. I am currently torn between the 2 as we received the Comby Savvy stroller as a gift, and just saw on the box that this seat will attach to it. We had planned on getting the Graco and the BabyTrend Snap and Go as a stroller, but it seems that this seat would save me one more piece of equipment. BUT I would rather have the "better" infant seat, than one less piece of equipment. Any ideas/opinions? Thanks!!

Maria

murphydog77
06-07-2005, 11:07 AM
The Connection is confusing to install at first, but really, installing it the 2nd time was very easy, the 3rd time was a snap. The SnugRide will always require more work, at least in my 2005 Sienna. I'm pretty lazy, lol, so the less work the better. Besides, I gotta tell you, when I work checkup events, I really cringe after the 5th SnugRide that comes my way (or any infant seat because I always have to use a locking clip because of the closed belt path--the Connection doesn't need one unless your belts don't lock).

I didn't have an infant to try in the Connection, so I couldn't accurately test the harness adjuster, but it seemed OK. To me, past the base, an infant seat is an infant seat. The Connection does have EPS foam, which the SR doesn't, and that little egg shock foam pad thing. I would just take a look at each seat and decide which one you like better.

Heather, CPS Tech

carajb
06-14-2005, 02:45 PM
I'm also interested in the Combi Connection. I'm wondering if the problems with the Combi Avatar are present in any way in the Combi Connection? I don't know if the two seats are even similar - its just a warning sign for me. It doesn't appear as if Consumer Reports rated the Combi Connection this spring.

Cara

carajb
09-14-2005, 04:31 PM
We got the Connection and have been using it for two months with our daughter. Overall I have to say I'm pleased. I can't give any safety advice on the product, but I can offer the following comments.

Our daughter was tiny at birth (5 pounds 6 ounces) and we were able to put her in the car seat without worrying it was too big. The cushions on the harness were a little too long though given her size - we had to really srunch them up in order to make sure the harness fit properly under her chin. We don't have that problem now that she's put on some pounds. My husband installed the base using our cars' latch systems and found it quite easy. I think the base leans too far toward the back in his truck (2002 Nissan Xterra) but after rereading the post at this site, it may be corretable by checking the recline feature on the base. We love how easily the seat snaps in and out of the base as well as the City Sazy stroller (which we also love - it certainly delivered on its lightweight, easy to use pr). The seat is fairly light weight and easy enough to carry around. My only real problem (so far!) with the Connection is that it doesn't work well with shopping carts in the grocery store! I've noticed that other car seats have deep notches which allow the car seat to sort of attach to the cart's front basket so that baby is facing whoever pushes the cart. The Connection is designed differently and doesn't have this type of notching, so it doesn't work real well in the grocery store - at least with the standard carts my store has. I don't think we've adequately explored all of the features of the connection/city savy. One day maybe we'll have time to look at the manuals again.

Maria in CT
09-14-2005, 04:45 PM
I noticed the same problem with store carts, and found that if you turn the seat sideways it wedges in nicely and stays secure.

LOVING this car seat and stroller combination.

ptlath2
09-17-2005, 03:02 AM
I just received the Combi Connection Car seat and City Savvy Stroller. (Baby is due in two weeks.) I love both the stroller and car seat, but am having some difficulty getting the car seat installed in my 2004 Grand Prix. After applying all my weight to the base it seemed snug enough when I pulled from front to back. But the side to side still gave a little. I used plastic grip liner which seemed to help the problem. But the level adjuster indicator line just barely makes it to the green section where it's supposed to be in order for the seat to be level. I've tried adjusting to the 3 foot positions but it only makes the level worse, as does using a noodle. I'm going to have it checked by a technician, but am hoping that just being on the line is good enough as I really like this seat!!