PDA

View Full Version : Snugride installation in a '00 Camry

stcelia
06-03-2005, 08:27 PM
So, the snugride used to be installed in the center, but the shoulder belt would slowly wratchet it up until the base was hiked up on the side where the shoulder belt attached. Then, we tried using the locking clip, and not putting the shoulder strap in the "locking" mode. That seemed to work ok for a while, but now it feels lose and I can't get it to seem tight. Just pulling out of my drive way I can see the thing wiggle around. So, I called the traveling CPS tech in our area.

She says, Camry's have a hump in the back center part of the back seat (as opposed to the part where your bottom goes), and that hump combined with the wratcheting shoulder belt is causing problems in lots of peoples' infant bases. Is it possible that one of the most popular infant seats doesn't work in one of the most popular vehicles? She said that you can't use the locking clips in cars that have the wratcheting seatbelts, even if you don't put them in the locking mode. Is that correct? She said her best suggestion was to put the seat in an outboard position and agreed to check it for me on Monday. I tried, and I still don't feel it is tight enough with the base. So, for now we are using it in the center without the base, and it is much more secure. We have to reinstall it every time, but it is pretty simple.

All this has me wondering: 1)Why wont it work? It seems like it used to so why can't we get it right now? 2)Do I need a new carseat? DS is almost 4 mos. and we've been considering a marathon. Is it time to buy something that we can install once, know its right and quit worrying about it? 3)Can I trust this tech to find the proper installation with this carseat? This is the only program I can find in my area (Boondocks, GA) We have a big trip coming up around father's day and I want to know my DS is safe. With the great prices on Britax seats right now, I'm giving it some thought.

DH thinks I'm nuts to worry about it so much. He feels like if installation is *mostly* right DS will be fine - and what's the likelyhood we'll be in an accident anyway?. He has even invented a new way to use the locking clip he thinks is safer (don't get me started!). As you can see, we need help! Thanks, Jenn

Joolsplus2
06-04-2005, 12:59 PM
She's REALLY WRONG that you can't use a locking clip on a "switchable" lap shoulderbelt....you can, absolutely. My best trick is to put the recline foot back up in the base all the way, and use a rolled beachtowel instead, for recline, and then use the locking clip. That should keep it pretty much rock solid installed till you are ready to take it out.
If he thinks using the locking clip on the wrong side of the seat is safer, it will fly off and puncture HIS head, so no worries about baby ;)

But anyway...4 months is about the limit in the snugride for tons of babies (head within an inch of the top of the seatback? That's your sign the seat is outgrown), so get bargain-hunting for your Marathon (which will fit fine in your car, and has built in lockoffs, so you can ditch the locking clip :) )
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

stcelia
06-04-2005, 11:59 PM
Would you still put it in the center? Even with the hump?

Here is our problem with the locking clip - If we put it on just after the seat belt clip like they show in the manual, it ends up in the safetyseat channel for the seat belt. In the center seat the buckle portion of the seat belt(the part that the seat belt clips into) is on a long stalk, unlike in the other seats. That stalk makes the buckle higher, and that means the locking clip ends up in the channel which is not the way it looks in the pictures in the manual. I don't know if this makes sense. I seem to be lacking in proper seat belt terminology!

My son hasn't yet outgrown his snugride. We haven't chekced in a week or two, but he's still using the bottom shoulder strap slot. His head is still a little way from the top of the seat. I'm so frustrated by this! I just want it to work and be safe! And you are right - DH was putting the locking clip on the other side of the base. He thinks he's an engineer even though his BS is in recreation.

Thank you for all your help, Julie. YOu are a lifesaver on these boards (and possibly in our cars, too!)