PDA

View Full Version : Marathon? Husky? Wait a while for new Husky?

nbrackman
07-11-2005, 07:35 PM
Hi all!

I am in a dilemma with my 4 1/2 year old daughter. Right now she rides in a Compass Booster in the outboard seat of the middle bench of my Ford Winstar minivan. I used her Marathon for her younger sister (now 23 months) who is still rearfacing in the MA in the middle/right side of the bench seat.

We are expecting in late August and the baby will take the seat that my oldest dd is in (positional, I mean, not the booster, lol!)

I would like to switch the 4 1/2 year old, who is over 42 lbs., back into a five point harness seat esp. because she will be sitting in the way back of the minivan in one of the outboard seats. Also I'm noticing that although she sits pretty well if awake in the booster, if she falls asleep she slumps over. And she can stretch herself wayyyy over with the belt.

I'm not sure if it's worthwhile to get her a Marathon, which goes to 65 lbs. or a Husky, gambling that she'll sit in it til 80 lbs. Or just leave her be in the seat she's in. The problem with the MA is that 1) it's higher up and not as easy for her to get in and out of; 2) I seem to remember the crotch strap was way back in the seat and bothered her a lot (she's long in the torso and also wears skirts/dresses most of the time).

I think I heard or read here that Britax is coming out with another Husky -- what would be the advantage to waiting for that as opposed to getting something now?

Thanks for any input!

Mommy to a sweet baby boy
07-11-2005, 07:42 PM
i think it would be a great idea to get your dd a new car seat. from what i have heard the new husky is going to be called the regent. all the news i have heard is that they only difference is going to be new covers for the seat. the fact that it is coming out in the near future works well for you however because you should be able to get a good price on a husky which is a great seat. i have heard that they are renaming it because of negative connotations to the word husky, not because of problems with the seat.

Joolsplus2
07-11-2005, 07:45 PM
Hmmm...toughie! Well,the Regent will be coming out in much prettier covers than the Husky... as if THAT matters! It's actually the main difference, though. Of course, the Husky is cheaper. The Decathlon has a deeper crotch strap depth then the Marathon, but it has on and off issues with adjuster stickiness, so I hate to recommend it without reservation.
The Compass is the pitsiest (is that a word?) booster for sleep support, and maybe you wouldn't be unhappy just going with a Parkway, which is awesome for sleep support and really easy for kids to buckle themselves? (I'm all pro-harness, don't get me wrong, just didn't know if you knew the Compass was awful for ALL napping kids, not just your dd!).
And this seat looks promising...not as Husky as the Husky or as high up as a Marathon... just not quite out yet http://www.windsorpeak.com/babybargains/blog/B40737805/C1649430445/E55032887/

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

nbrackman
07-11-2005, 09:09 PM
Oh wow, that Sunshine seat is VERY cool looking. I could wait for that one...but then I might miss out on the "deals" for the Huskies that will be around because of the new regent. Hmmm.

I thought about going to the Parkway but dd didn't love the head wings. I am swimming in booster seats (I have the Compass, I have a Graco TurboBooster highback for carpool, my mom has a TurboBooster for her car, my mil has one for her car - Princesses version) but dh and I just discussed it and we agree we need to beef up her safety esp. since she'll be outboard in the way back which is a lot less protected than where she is now.

Hmmm. wish the Sunshine was coming out sooner...I know I'm going to have second and third thoughts whatever I buy!

So what would you guys do?! :-)

nbrackman
07-11-2005, 09:10 PM
Okay you definitely have me beat at 37 seats, lol!

I will probably sell my extra Turbobooster and hang onto the compass when I get the Husky.

So if you know of any great Husky deals, pass em on!

Joolsplus2
07-11-2005, 09:50 PM
So what would you guys do?!

Well, since you've already got a healthy collection of seats going... I'd look for a bargain on a Husky :D (Hey, you asked me what I'd do...silly question for a mom with 37 seats!)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

PS, no, I don't still have ALL thirty seven of them! I've passed on quite a few to friends ;)