PDA

View Full Version : New Britax Carseat Help

schums
07-12-2005, 04:16 PM
I have 2 Britax car seats for DC (MA and Husky) and am trying to convince my SIL that she should spend the $$ for a Britax for her baby. She is due the end of October, but is already talking about Cosco products. I know all the benefits of the Britax seats and everything, but I'm totally out of the loop on the new seats. I thought that the MA was being replaced by one the new seats, but saw the 2005 covers, so apparently not. Can someone give me a rundown on the new seats -- are they replacing an older seat, what's the advantage vs. the MA or RA?

Right now, I'm trying to convince SIL to at least look at the MA since it goes to 65 pounds, but I know she'll ask about these other ones, and if I don't know, the kid will be in Cosco. YUCK!

TIA,
Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

Joolsplus2
07-12-2005, 04:51 PM
www.britaxusa.com finally has their current lineup. Try stressing how EASY to use a the seat is, and how PADDED it is, and how the straps don't twist, and how the EPS foam is like a protective helmet for that fragile little noggin, and how cute those covers are!
I can also dig up some "how much I hate my Cosco" seats, but not right at the second (house full of kids, lol)
:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

starrynight
07-12-2005, 07:35 PM
Maybe go for the cost effective angle? If you buy a marathon, you are skipping over a few cheaper seats, especially if she ends up with a tall kid. If I just went ahead and bought a marathon first I could have saved myself getting a comfortsport for it to only be too short for dd before she was heavy enough to rf! And it eliminates the need for a high back booster, depending on the age/weight of the kid when they outgrow the MA you probably will still need a simple backless booster but those are cheap!

schums
07-13-2005, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the info. So basically, the BV is a soupped (sp?) up version of the Wizard (which is still available) and the Decathalon is a soupped up version of the MA (which is still available). If budget is no object, which it shouldn't be, should I steer her towards the MA/WZ or BV/DC?

I guess I'm just surprised Britax is offering so many similar products right now. To me, it makes things even more confusing.

TIA,
Sarah

Joolsplus2
07-13-2005, 09:08 AM
Yeah, the WZ is still available, but is discontinued...cross it off the list, since all the seats are already getting old and you want that full 6 year lifespan. The DC is sort of like the MA..it has a few features like the Roundabout, though...it's ok, but I'm not sure it's worth the money (maybe it is, but I'm not reading constant raves about it, especially given the price). The BV is quite a bit nicer than the Wizard...it IS very nice...If money were no object, I'd probably get one of those. The Marathon is really a great seat...hard to go wrong with it... lower prices, cuter covers, good track record.

Yeah, this selection of seats DOES make things more complicated! Britax is getting as bad as the other seat companies, almost (1 seat with 6 names...ugh!)

heather57
07-13-2005, 11:31 AM
We have a Cosco Eddie Bauer Alpha Omega in my husband's car. I don't think it is a bad seat; the main thing that bothers me is that the straps tend to twist and fold and it is annoying to straighten them out. But installation, adjustment, etc., has never been a problem.

Because my son recently reached the 40 lb mark, I purchased a Wizard for my car, and we have a Husky on order to replace the Cosco. So I have some experience with Britax and agree it is top quality. However I don't think the Cosco is bad if you're on a budget.

One problem with a Marathon, Wizard, etc. for a newborn is you can't pop them in and out of the car in their "baby bucket" like you can with a detachable infant seat. It surely is convenient to be able to do that, especially when you don't want to wake them. Or when you go into a store, restaurant, etc., and need to put baby down for a second, you can just set the seat down. So, if you really want to talk her into a Britax, maybe suggest a "Companion" (I think that's the infant seat name). Or maybe she could get a Cosco infant seat, then graduate to a Marathon, or something.

schums
07-13-2005, 01:19 PM
Sorry if I offended you with my comments about Cosco seats. I've heard they aren't the easiest seats to use. Plus, I really have issues with the company -- they shouldn't have to be forced and fined by the government to recall product(s) that is/are defective and are hurting children. So I tend to avoid ALL their products.

My SIL already has a Graco Snugride for when DC is an infant, so I don't have to worry about that issue any more.

Sarah

heather57
07-14-2005, 10:09 AM
Well, I wasn't actually offended, so no apology is necessary. I was just offering up my own opinion and experience with the seat.

I didn't know Cosco had to be forced to recall products. That certainly doesn't speak well for them.

Good luck and I hope your SIL gets a seat that is safe and right for her needs, once the baby outgrows the infant seat.

mommab
08-16-2005, 12:14 AM
Julie,

We bought the Wizard back in the spring of 2004 and were thinking about another one for baby on the way in Feb. (so they won't fight about seats - although the covers will be different). Since I just found out they have been discontinued, we'll need to buy one sooner than later. What do you mean by "that full 6 year lifespan"? Should we not go with the Wizard?

(edited to change subject line)

Thanks!

Joolsplus2
08-16-2005, 08:30 AM
Yeah, if you buy one for the baby now, it will expire when s/he is 4 or 5... since you can only use the seat from 6 years of date of manufacture....most kids still have lots of growing room in those seats at that age. I have a baby due then, too, and honestly I'm holding out for better seats next year...or at least cuter covers.
But if you find one for an awesome bargain, you might want to get it anyway?
And nah, my two older kids never have the same seat, and it's never been an issue (except I secretly am addicted to carseat fashion and *want* them to be in matching seats, lol)

:)