PDA

View Full Version : RFing and car sickness

MaisyBabies
07-14-2005, 11:53 PM
Are they related when it comes to toddlers? One of our kids gets car sick when we are on curvy roads or driving for long distances, and because we are about to make a big car trip, I want to make this as easy as possible on all of us. I know as an adult facing forward and being able to look out the window is helpful, but is it the same for little kids too?

If it isn't the same for toddlers, does anyone have any suggestions to make it easier for her?

Thanks so much for your help!

MarisaSF
07-14-2005, 11:59 PM
Definitely the same for little kids. Focusing on something far away helps. I got sick a LOT as a short kid unable to look out the window.

I assume you can't turn her around or raise her seat. FWIW, I (still) get headaches and nauseous when music is being played behind me (like if I'm on a bus or train), but I'm fine when it's coming from in front of me. Just something I've noticed. Maybe that bothers your little one too?

pb&j
07-15-2005, 07:38 AM
I had severe motion sickness as a child. I have thrown up from being carsick in every state on the Eastern seaboard (except Maine) and two foreign countries. For sure, being able to look out the window helps tremendously. Even today, as a short (5'2") adult, whenever DH and I get a rental car, I won't get a Mitsubishi because the passenger seat is not height adjustable, and the window starts very high up. Rear facing is torture for me, and I can't stand it. But, if you have to RF, RF.

My suggestions are:
1. Make sure your toddler can see out.
2. Keep the car as cool as possible, even if it means you have to wear a sweater. I was an airline pilot, and we used to have a saying - "Popsicles don't puke."
3. Make sure she eats a light meal before, and have frequent light snacks. Keep her hydrated.
4. Make frequent stops where she can get out and walk around.
5. Keep a barf bag or bucket in the car with you in case you can't pull over in time. As I got to be a little older, being anxious about throwing up in the car definitely made me sicker quicker. Knowing I had an out helped me relax.
6. Try the miracle patch, Scopalamine. I'm not sure if there's an official children's version, but ask your doctor (I think it's still prescription only) about the motion sickness patch. My dad (a physician) would just cut one in half for the child's dose. It sticks behind the ear, and is good for 24-36 hours, I think. It's a miracle of modern science as far as I'm concerned.
7. Accept that despite your best efforts, she might get sick anyway. It's nobody's fault. Someday you'll look back on it and laugh. Really.

HTH!

ETA: I just reread your sig and noticed you have triplets. I reckon you do a lot of waiting for the day when you'll look back and laugh. ;)

-Paige,
mom to Emma, s/b 11/04/04
and Chippie, edd 01/15/06 - it's a BOY!

http://lilypie.com/days/060115/3/25/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

heather57
07-18-2005, 01:12 PM
As a carsick- and seasick-prone person since birth, I can empathize with your child. Carsickness is a miserable, miserable thing. When you've got it, you think you're going to die, and you really wish you could.

Here's what you can do to help your poor child:

1) Put him/her facing forward. Rear-facing would be torture. If you have bucket seats, put him/her in the middle so she/he can see out the front window.

2)If that's not an option, then your only hope is *drugs*. Scopalamine is the only thing that every helped me 100%. Dramamine and Bonine cut the misery a little bit, but not like the Scope. I don't know what is available for kids, but definitely ask your pediatrician. Even if you can FF your child in the middle, it would be a good idea to have drugs for backup.