PDA

View Full Version : carseat on vacation - do we need to bring the base also??

anamika
07-21-2005, 02:21 PM
ok, we're making our first trip with dd. we'll be flying to maui (yayyyyyy!!!!!) and driving a rental there.
we have a combi tyro which technically can be used with a seat belt only. the base was installed in our car by the techs - dh stood in line for 2-3 hrs to get this done. so obviously, we are reluctant to move it.
so i'm very confused - do we bring the base also with us on vacation? or just use the carseat with seat belt (our daycare provider did this once for a short trip)
sorry if i sound totally clueless or missed something - newbie parents and first long trip - i guess we're going to learn a lot on this trip!!
thanks so much for your input,

hipmaman
07-21-2005, 08:37 PM
Can you take me to Maui too? :)

If the carseat can be used without the base, then you don't have to use it or take it to vacation. But if you will be using the carseat in and out of the car many times and if it would take a long time for you to install the carseat w/o the base, then you consider having the base on vacation. Is there an option of buying an extra base?

Or you can just take the carseat w/o the base, install it once, and remove baby out of the carseat every time you get out of the carseat and go places. This might be the best solution so that you don't have to keep re-installing the carseat and have baby in a fully recline stroller for long treks.

anamika
07-22-2005, 12:22 PM
Hi Tam,
Sure, Tam....the more the merrier :)
Thank you so much. I think your suggestion to leave the carseat in the car is great. We will also look into a second base.
Thanks again,

carolines mommy
07-22-2005, 06:41 PM
We just went to Maui last month with our girls and took out Tyro, but left the base at home. Too much of a pain to get the base installed correctly so I just left it home! The seat worked fine by itself and secured nice and tight in the car without the base. I would say leave the base at home, it isn't worth the extra weight to drag it with you. I say the lighter you can travel the better. Oh, and you can take me with too. I think I left my bathing suit bottoms there and need to see if they've been turned in! :)

Erika
Mommy to Caroline Nov 03 and Chelsea April 05

anamika
07-24-2005, 12:34 AM
Thanks Erika. That's really good to know esp since you have the Tyro too.
Sure you can come too or if you let me know, I can check for you ;)
Thanks again,