PDA

View Full Version : why are infant seats so bad???

JenaW
07-22-2005, 12:09 PM
Can someone explain to me (or point me in the direction of some info on) why the infant seats are so bad for extended use? Both of my kids seemed more comfortable in them versus lying flat in a stroller. My babies were both barely 6 pounds at birth and got lost in the strollers. They also seemed to prefer the angle of the car seat. My pedi even recommeded that we let my son sleep in his when his reflux was so bad around 3 months. This is not to say that I kept them in them all day long, but I had no qualms about using it at the grocery store, or at the mall, or at a restaurant, and yes even for a nap if they were sleeping when the car stopped. My kids seem fine to me, but I am wondering if I should be doing something different with baby #3.

Thanks for your advice and info!

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03 & Madigan ~ 09.28.04

melbb
07-22-2005, 12:52 PM
The concern is with infants developing flat spots on their head (plagiocephaly). This is compounded by having to put babies on their backs when sleeping to help prevent SIDS. And obviously newborns can't hold their heads up, so they are often in a reclining position, putting pressure on the back/side of their head. The same thing can happen with swings and bouncy seats. So most people recommend using slings when going shopping, etc. And having some "tummy time" each day. Obviously, things like reflux are exceptions and sometimes people can't get their babies to sleep in anything but a car seat. But if it can be limited, that is probably ideal. You can do an internet search on plagiocephaly to get more info. I am sure there are other posts on this board about it, too.

JenaW
07-22-2005, 02:49 PM
ok - that makes sense. My kids do get a lot of tummy time. I iwsh they could use a sling more, but I have never found one I like, and my daughter hated ANY kind of carrier.

Thanks for the info
Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03 & Madigan ~ 09.28.04

MamaParis
07-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Flat heads are the main reason and more and more babies are having to wear helmets due to infant seat overuse, sleeping on their backs, swing overuse and so on. Which is why tummy time and carrying your baby is important as the PP suggested.

Also the angle that they are sitting in when in the infant seat is not a "healthy" angle for them to be in for extended periods of time.
Their oxygen saturation levels decrease when at that angle as opposed to laying flat.
Their heads are SO much larger and heavier when they are newborns compared to the rest of their body - that at that angle you have immature muscles not being able to hold it up and pressing down on the air passages and so on.

Also, propping infant seats onto a grocery cart or on a flipped over high chair is just asking for an accident! I've personally have witnessed car seats falling from the carts and carseats tipping over carts. They're not designed to do that.

Also, there are studies out about how babies NEED physical contact with mom and people to thrive! Which is why baby carrying methods are so important to look into.

Using an infant seat in your car and for quick errands - there is nothing wrong with that at all.

It just when you go to the mall for 3+ hours and leave the baby in the carseat the whole time. Meaning the drive there, all the time there, and the drive home.

And also as for my own observation - nothing proven or anything so take it for what it is ... But I have noticed that babies (in my social group and relatives kids and people I have constant contact with) who are left in infant carriers for EVERYTHING - naps, shopping, eating, etc etc - seem to be slower to learn to sit up and crawl and walk and all that stuff.
I find that the babies who were limited in their infant seats to car rides and errands and had ample tummy time turned out to be much quick learners of the physical milestones.
Like I said, this is pure specualtion, based soley on what I have seen and witnessed myself - so its by no means true for all babies.

JMO ...

randomkid
07-22-2005, 09:15 PM
You know, I personally don't understand why people leave their babies in their carseats or strollers all the time when they are out. I used an infant carrier and it was so convenient when DD was sleeping to be able to finish errands, etc. while she finished her nap. However, when she woke up, I would always end up taking her out and carrying her. I still do this when using her stroller. She is so darn cute and I love holding her - how can you resist? Also, she loves to look at everyone and everything that passes by! I also use a sling for the grocery store, Target, etc. when I need to push a cart. I put her infant carrier in a grocery cart once and I couldn't see where I was going. I hated it. That's what prompted me to get a sling in the first place and now I use it a lot.

I think there is nothing wrong with an infant carrier as long as it is not used as a babysitter. It is for safety in the car and can be convenient for errands, esp. when DC is a newborn, but I think the problems arise when they are overused.