PDA

View Full Version : LONG: Moving to a big city in a no-car-seat country - WWYD?

kozachka
07-23-2005, 04:11 AM
We will be moving to Kiev, Ukraine, for about a year and a half, possibly two, in the second part of September. We won't own a car there but have access to a company car and taxis. From what I understand nobody uses carseat in Ukraine, parents just hold their kids in a lap. PP have no clue what I am talking about when I ask questions about carseats. I am nevertheless determined to have DS securely restrained to the highest US standards but need help deciding what car seat/s to bring with us.

Right now we have two carseats, Britax Wizard and Costco Touriva. Which of the two should I bring with me? We'll be living in a one bedroom appartment so I'd rather not bring both. I am leaning towards Touriva since it's so much lighter but really prefer the safety and convenience of the WA. We could have the carseat permanently installed in my husband's business car but his driver smokes (almost everybody in Ukraine does) and the carseat will smell like cigarettes. I will also be travelling to the States back and forth with DS on my own up to once a month and Touriva might be easier to handle. What do you think?

DH suggested hiring a non-smoking driver for DS and I (or his nanny if and when I go back to work) and have WA installed in his car. And use CT for travel. That's if we can find a non-smoking driver for hire. Even with Ukrainian prices ($300-$400/month) that would be pretty expensive. I am not sure DH was serious or was just trying to calm me down because I am freaking out about the whole move. Ideally I'd like to hire a nanny with a car but that's a very long shot in a city where most working families don't own a car, let alone two.

I'd love to find a Britax Laptop or another portable solution (see my post below) for city trips but it seems pretty unlikely since it was discontinues 3 years ago. Plus I need a seat for the airplane and when in US anyway.

Edited for spelling errors.

Momof3Labs
07-23-2005, 10:17 AM
Well, one question is whether there are even seat belts in the back seat of the cars - can't install a car seat without them! Have you corresponded with Neve, who was in the Ukraine for a few weeks last year to adopt her boys? She'll probably know the answer to the car seat/seat belt question.

JElaineB
07-23-2005, 03:00 PM
If you find you are able to install a carseat there, keep in mind our DS will outgrow the Touriva long before he outgrows the Wizard (and probably within 2 years, though my DS does have a good amount of room to grow in his Touriva still). I do love the Touriva for travel, so if you start with that, can you store the Wizard with someone in the US and pick it up later if you DS does outgrow the Touriva?

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

kozachka
07-23-2005, 04:57 PM
There are seat belts in the back seat of the cars, including center lap belt, just not in all of them. A lot of pp take them off. The car will have access to, a very old Renault, should have seat belts in the back. I distinctly remember using a belt in the back seat on the way to the airport two years ago, just not sure if there is one in the center of the back seat.

Don't know if taxis have seat belts in the back, they might be exempt from the rule requiring children to be restrained while driving in the back seat. That's something I'll have DH check since he is in Ukraine right now. It probably varies as it does with private cars.

I read Neve's posts about buying a Tote N Cary for use in Ukraine but have not contacted her to see what she ended up doing. It's a good idea. Thank you for suggesting it. Looks like I might be able to get a Britax Laptop equivalent (Romer Vario) in Europe so that would be our taxi car seat. Still need to decide what would be our long-distance/travel car seat, WA or Touriva.

n2ou
07-23-2005, 10:01 PM
There is a guy on ebay that still sells laptops NIB with the last manufacturer date. i emailed him once:

You asked:
"What is the manufacturer date on this seat?"

August, 2003. Last batch manufactured for the United States.

Item # Item Title Listing end date

3980903871 Brand New Britax Laptop Child Safety Seat/ Car Seat Jun-17-05

his ebay id: grandebooks

Edited to add more info. I have also checked into the Roemer (I am originally from Germany and travel to Europe quite a bit), since 2002 the instructions have been updated and say for middle position only (probably due to the lack of side impact protection).

kozachka
07-24-2005, 02:59 PM
Good point. DS is pretty tall for his age, 34 3/4" at 19 months so I am not sure how much longer he'll be able to use Touriva. Need to pull the seat out of the box and put DS into it. I also like how lightweight Touriva is but get frustrated with the way its straps get twisted so easily.

We'll be storing our furniture and household items so will find space for the Wizard. Don't feel comfortable asking any of my friends to keep it. It's a pretty big box and people here is California don't have a ton of space in their residencies.

kozachka
07-24-2005, 03:05 PM
Thank you for letting me know about this seller. He actually has two Laptops listed right now. Don't know how I've missed him.

They are not cheap, almost $80 shipped so I am trying to buy it used from another seller for half the price. And I don't even know whether the car has a seat belt in the middle position. That's what anxiety can do to you ;).

n2ou
07-25-2005, 06:38 PM
I saw that one too. Did you win it? I don't know how I feel about used carseats although the last seller did put on there that it had not been in an accident (after I emailed him asking questions about the history).

For $80, a new laptop is not that bad of a deal, I guess. Maybe, you could sell it after you get back (assuming the expiration date is still ok).

Simone

kozachka
07-25-2005, 07:27 PM
No, I did not get it. Bidding went over my reserve while I was out. Anyway, it's probably for the better since I still have not heard back on the middle seat belt.

Thank you for asking the question, I bid after seeing the answer. I am also debating whether to buy a new Romer Vario in Europe instead. With the American Britax Laptop seats available being at least 2 years old I am not counting on resale value.

n2ou
07-25-2005, 10:37 PM
I think they are EURO 50 but not that easy to find. I have looked online.

How much does your son weigh? My daughter only was 28 pounds, so I have some time still.

kozachka
07-26-2005, 01:16 PM
Yeah, I found Vario seats go for about 54 EUR plus S&H on German sites. My college German and Dutch language classes came in handy :). There are a bunch of used Varios listed on www.ebay.de but shipping alone is 37 EUR so not worth it. I just got an e-mail from the lonely seller who listed that he'd be willing to ship worldwide.

DS weights about 25 lbs so we also have time in that regards. We are moving to a big city in E. Europe this September. We won't have a car so I won't be able to lug around a convertible for taxi rides. According to CPS techs Vario/Laptop is, while not ideal, my only option to have some restrain/protection for DS.

kozachka
07-27-2005, 12:12 PM
Gotta love Ukraine. Here's an e-mail from DH re middle seat belt:

To answer your burning question, no, Volodya's car does NOT have a latch that allows the seatbelt to click in (in the middle of the seat). It was removed before he bought the car and his seatbelts in the back are neatly tucked in so they do not get in the way of the passenger's view. I explained that the other alternative is for us to hire a separate driver for you and Danny, because you will need the damned latch. He quickly agreed to have one installed, foreseeing his future should he fail to adhere to your requirements. So to answer your question, there will be a seatbelt in the middle by the time you get here .

Huge weight off my shoulders. It means I'll be able to use a car seat for DS.