PDA

View Full Version : Question about using infant seat without base

sophie627
07-23-2005, 12:40 PM
When I strap in the infant seat w/o the base, I can get it really tight so that it doesn't move side to side, but if I lift up hard on the back (up under the edge where the baby's head is), it comes loose, can lift it up towards the back seat - is this normal? I don't really see how you could get it tight enough that it wouldn't do this if you apply enough force.
THanks!
Hannah

sophie627
07-23-2005, 06:32 PM
Meant to say - it's a Fisher Price Stay in View seat, not sure that if it matters or not.

hipmaman
07-23-2005, 07:20 PM
Yes it is normal as you have no attachment at the top of the carseat to secure. The infant seat is supposed to "cocoon" the baby in a collision and needs to be able to rotate about the seatbelt path. The Britax carseats are the only ones that can be rf tethered so that no rebound of the carseat top will happen.

Not sure if I make sense. lol

kellyotn
07-23-2005, 07:45 PM
Just wanted to note that it will seem weird b/c the SIV's base is anti-rebound, so it seems very different with vs. without the base.

I'd assume that the same rule applies as to convertible rear facing installation. Just test at the belt path side to side. If its tight, you're good. :-)