PDA

View Full Version : Update on Lock-offs: Marathon lock-offs keep unlocking

stcelia
07-26-2005, 10:36 AM
I just got off the phone with Britax customer service and if I understand correctly this is the deal for a Marathon that is installed rear facing:

You should only use one lock-off - the one farthest from the buckle is best. When routing the seatbelt, route through the first lock-off, under the spongey foam and seat buckle, *over* the second closed lock-off (not through) and then buckle the seatbelt. If your car has a seatbelt that can be put in locking mode by pulling it all the way out, you don't really have to use the lock-offs at all, as long as you get a good install. Try to have the seatbelt toward the hinge portion of the lock-off when closing it.

He said the lock-off is there to help keep the seat in an ideal pre-crash position. They'll actually open in a crash. Also, here is the following from the Britax website FAQ:

Do I need to use my lock offs during installation?
A. It is suggested that lock-offs be used during the installation of the child restraint. However, it is not mandatory. All child restraints are required to pass FMVSS 213 testing with the use of a lap belt only. The lock-off allows the advantage of gaining a more snug pre-crash installation. If you have a locking retractor on your vehicle seat belt and can get a tight installation, you can bypass the lock-offs. Check your vehicle owner’s manual.
Q. Which rear facing lock off do I use?
A. In rear facing installations it is recommended that the lock-off farthest from the buckle be used. The use of the rear facing lock-off closest to the buckle would not create a safety related issue, but could cause damage to the lock-off. Using either or both lock-offs is acceptable, but could cause damage to the lock-off.

Hope this is helpful to you guys. If you have any questions their phone guy was very helpful. They're # is 1-888-427-4829.
The lock-offs on our marathon keep coming undone. The seat is in the center of our 2000 camry's backseat, installed using the shoulder belt (we don't have latch). When I first installed it, it seemed rock solid, but now the lockoffs have popped off and it's loose. This has happened before, too. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a defect in the seat? One of the lock-offs seems to have a problem. I have to bring the latching part of forward for it to catch the clip. Is that normal? Lastly, should I put the seatbelt in the locking mode by pulling it out all the way even when I'm using the lock-offs? Or since the lock-offs don't seem to work, should I do something different? I'm so confused.

Thanks Jenn

daniele_ut
07-26-2005, 10:57 AM
I posted about a similar problem last week with my new MA. Tam (one of the CPS techs) looked at the pic I posted and thought that the seatbelt was pushing the clip out and that was why it was popping out. This made sense, but since then I have been reading the Car Seat board over at Ivillage and there are a bunch of posts about the same problem, all on newer MAs. This makes me wonder, though. Several of them have called Britax and they say that they have not had other complaints about it.

DisneyLovnMom
07-26-2005, 04:47 PM
I'm having the same problem with ours, we got it last week and the DOM is July 2005.

I agree that it looks like the seat belt is pushing it out of the way, but when I adjusted it so it wouldn't the thing still pops open.

We have another marathon that's 2 years old and never had this type of problem and it's been rf in the same seat the current one is in!

stcelia
07-26-2005, 07:33 PM
Does anyone know what we can do about this? I also think the seatbelt is pushing it open, but how can I change that? We don't have latch so that isn't an option. Should we call Britax about it?

hipmaman
07-26-2005, 09:12 PM
Check your seatbelt to see if it's encroaching or pushing on the little latch of the lock-off or not. But definitely call Britax to get the replacement as well as to let them know there are more than one person having issue with the lock-off. In the meantime, if you can't have it locked in then use the regular metal locking clip instead of a lock-off that might be popped off.

murphydog77
07-27-2005, 12:12 AM
Doesn't Britax say not to use a metal locking clip in their instruction manual? (It's been a while since I've looked at mine, so I don't remember). I agree that you should call Britax to complain. You might also try using a tightly rolled towel or pool noodle in the vehicle seat bight (crack where the bottom seat cushion meets the back cushion); that will help reposition the lockoffs and might make them stay closed.

Another trick to try is to position the layers of the seat belt so they aren't directly on top of each other (as much as possible) and use both lockoffs at the same time. That will lessen the pressure on the lockoffs and give you a backup lockoff to depend on. After the lockoffs are fastened, lock the seat belt.

This is a really frustrating issue!

Heather, CPS Tech
http://www.CarSeatSite.com

MarisaSF
07-27-2005, 12:45 AM
I have two MAs and both of them have this same problem. Julie (JoolsPlus2) told me they were broken and that I could get replacements from Britax for a couple bucks.

Seeing that others have this problem makes me think I'll call Britax and see if I can get free replacements.

Joolsplus2
07-27-2005, 07:53 AM
Right, Britax doesn't approve of regular metal locking clips for their seats with lockoffs in cars with lockable seatbelts. Since the seatbelts lock in this car, the belt can just be locked and the seat will be perfectly safe even if the lockoffs pop open. Also, the OP can try doing the lockoff on the other side (the buckle side), and your suggestion of getting the belts to be spread out in the lockoff is exactly what always works for me...2 widths of seatbelt right on top of each other is too much for those lockoffs to handle :P
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

hipmaman
07-27-2005, 08:01 AM
Pardon me!!! I for some reasons, thought you had the type of seatbelt that didn't lock unless it's an emergency situation, hence the must to use lock-offs or metal locking clip.

Thanks Heather and Julie for spotting my mistake.

Joolsplus2
07-27-2005, 08:13 AM
Yup, you can use a locking clip with an ELR lap/shoulder belt and a Husky or Companion without the base :) (I asked the Britax reps at lifesavers why there was nothing about locking clips in their manuals? They said "because we don't give you a locking clip with the seat". Um...OK... <lol>)

Cathy_Adrian_julian
07-27-2005, 10:11 AM
Then they should I least give this info to their CS for when people like ME call. I call them about using a locking clip that I had and MR William LOL at Britax told me that it couldn't be used, WHY? no reason just I couldn't use it because it was not tested that way.

OK enough venting for the day LOL

Julie Is it HOT down there today. Is so BAD over here, Hot Hot Hot.

Cathy

Cathy_Adrian_julian
07-27-2005, 10:15 AM
This is exactly what worked for us quote

"You might also try using a tightly rolled towel or pool noodle in the vehicle seat bight (crack where the bottom seat cushion meets the back cushion); that will help reposition the lockoffs and might make them stay closed."

Have had no more problems ever since with the Lockoff.

BUT Before I got the problem fixed, I had called Britax telling them about the Lockoffs problems With our BV and they send a Lock off right away for free. So That was pretty good customer service.

MamaParis
07-27-2005, 10:52 AM
Same here ... our newest Marathon has this probelm ... our older one does not and our RA doesn't either. hmmmm ....

I can't put rolled up towels in my seat crack because then its TOO reclined ... seat is RF for my 2.5 y/o DD ...

So I have it just installed without using the locking clips with my seatbelt locked and tight.

the seatbelt just slides down too much rendering the lock-offs on ours useless ...

I guess i *could* use LATCH ... but I much prefer the seatbelt ...

Are you all getting relacement lock-offs from them? Can you postback later on if it helps the problem??

Thanks!

Joolsplus2
07-27-2005, 08:12 PM
Marisa's other lockoff wasn't broken, so we just used it instead. My own one broke eons ago, I ordered the new lockoff, and it's STILL sitting in my carseat oddz n endz box, uninstalled on my own MA, lol (I may have told her that, and with shipping being so high, I wouldn't blame her if she didn't bother replacing it, lol...I'm just saying this in case she doesn't check in :) )

stcelia
07-27-2005, 09:22 PM
Well, the lock-off on the shoulder strap side seems to stay closed better. The one on the buckle side of the seat, however, is very difficult to close at all and then pops open as soon as I turn my head. If one side works is it ok? When I get time in the next few days, I'll call Britax and speak with them. I'll let you know what they tell me.

mommyj_2
07-28-2005, 02:45 AM
I've been having this issue with my 2003 Marrathon. It's happened a few times. I'm really careful to check and make sure they're secure before driving.
How do I know if my seatbelt locks? I have a 1997 or 1998 Honda CR-V. The seat is rear-facing in the middle seat.

Cathy_Adrian_julian
07-28-2005, 07:21 AM
As long as One of them is closed then you are fine. You don't have to have both of them closed at the same time (The insructions doesn't require for both of them to be closed just one). We are only using the lock off that is by the door (Not close to the buckle).

Cathy

DebbieJ
07-28-2005, 07:28 AM
>I've been having this issue with my 2003 Marrathon. It's
>happened a few times. I'm really careful to check and make
>sure they're secure before driving.
> How do I know if my seatbelt locks? I have a 1997 or 1998
>Honda CR-V. The seat is rear-facing in the middle seat.

You're using the lap belt, right? Then the seatbelt locking isn't an issue for you. Just make sure it's nice and tight and at least one of the lockoffs is closed.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif