PDA

View Full Version : Child not in car seat gets ejected into a river!

lilycat88
07-28-2005, 01:35 PM
Oh my. I can't even imagine. Not only does this child get ejected from a car during an accident, she gets ejected into a river. She wasn't in a car seat.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/4781559/detail.html

Jamelin
Mom to Susanna born 6/29/2004

SuenosDelMar
07-31-2005, 11:49 PM
This was on our local news just 2 hours after it happened and they were still searching.

I wanted to VOMIT thinking about my almost 2 year old getting ejected 75 feet into a dark, cold, disgusting river. And the fact the trucker saw her splashing around wouldn't even allow me to think that she was unconscious when she hit the water. I couldn't sleep that night. I hope she died quickly and w/o pain.

I don't care what the circumstances - a true "mother" would not have let her 2 year old ride w/o a car seat, especially on the interstate where the average speed is 80 mph there.

I haven't heard if there are to be any charges, but I hope to heaven so. The mother needs to be charged w/ manslaughter and made an example of so other people understand the carseat law is there for a reason.

eliw23
08-01-2005, 02:35 PM
I usually just lurk around here but I wanted to let you all know that there was a similar incident near my neck of the woods this past weekend. Luckily the 6 month old survived:

http://www.c-n.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050801/NEWS01/508010322/1006

No charges have been filed against the driver even though the baby wasn't in a safety seat.

Beth568
08-01-2005, 08:25 PM
Stories like this literally make me feel sick. The thought that these childrens' injuries and deaths were preventable is infuriating. Good grief!

SuenosDelMar
08-01-2005, 11:39 PM
UGH! A 6 month old... Were any of their kids even seat belted? I don't know if they ever file charges in any of these cases, but if not, they need to start.

I used to think people shouldn't butt into other people's business regarding carseats, but now I think *I* am wrong.

I rooted around for more info on the river ejection story and the baby did in fact die from drowning according to the autopsy report - and the mother had the windows open while they were driving too! No charges yet.

I am certainly NOT a perfect parent, but IMO this "mistake" that parents are making regarding carseats should not be w/o legal consequence.