PDA

View Full Version : Britax Laptop

KCR4
08-02-2005, 09:23 PM
Hi,
I won an auction on Ebay for a new in the box Laptop booster. I'm in the market because my neighbors and I do a lot of carpooling (not long distances or highway driving; through residential/light commercial areas to preschool and Little Gym).

I have an 03 Odyssey with a Britax Wizard, a Britax Marathon, and a Britax Parkway - in the third row for carpooling. (FYI, My DS #1 just turned 4 and weighs 36 lbs; and DS #2 is almost 2 and does not use the boosters, obviously.)

My neighbors both have Expeditions. Their third row is always down. My son (age 4) sits between their children in a center position with no vehicle shoulder belt. I have wrestled for the past year with installing my cheapo "travel seat" (a Graco convertible) in their center position and not been impressed; plus it's time consuming. The vehicle belt path is awkward and fixed and I can never get the tether tight enough - the anchors are strappy-type material, which may partly be a factor.

Anyway. The Britax Laptop is for my son to ride in their cars because I understand it does not require a vehicle shoulder belt - this is why I bought it. It sounds like a good solution. It also may be somewhat of a travel seat for us, particularly down the line.

SO...here is my long-winded question....Is there anything I need to know about this seat from experienced users? Any thing I should avoid? Tips, etc. Thanks in advance (ps, I haven't received it yet).

Joolsplus2
08-04-2005, 07:16 AM
Hey, sounds like you scored :). The laptop IS really handy for lots of situations. It'll be nice to use in a lapbelt only position...since you can make the lapbelt the right length to get a snug fit on him, and then no one will have to mess with the lapbelt length to recreate that fit. The laptop should be snug, but not crushing his chest (kids tend to complain when it's too tight, trust me, lol), and he might have to be reminded to sit up rather than scoot down...so try a couple trial runs in your van before you send him off with the neighbors.
I hope the middle row of the Expedition is huge? It can be a little challenging (well, impossible) in smaller cars to get the Laptop installed between other car seats...
Hope that helps :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx