PDA

View Full Version : installing a britax wizard

megs4413
08-05-2005, 04:10 PM
I just bought a britax wizard and need to install it in my Explorer. Can anyone give me some tips on their experiences installing it?

Edensmum
08-07-2005, 10:45 AM
Are you using latch or seat belts? I have found the latch super easy. Follow the instructions in the book and it's in. Just lock the clips, lay on the seat and pull.

Now the seat belt thing is more complicated.

The locking clips are there so you don't need to use a locking clip. I have found that I can not have the seat belt locked in our car as it lifts up on the lip of the seat causing it to tilt. So I use the clips, and they are a PIA frankly. They work best if you make super sure they are as flat and forward in the track as possible.

Feed the belt under the cover and foam(comfier for baby) and click it into the lock. Then pu pressure on the seat and pulling by the seatbelt clip take all the slack out of belt. Then feed through towards the other side keep ing slakc out of belt. Lock off clip nearest belt lock, by pushing it in towards the seat, and then lock outer one.
Make sure there is less than an inch movement at the blet line.

Does that make sense? I have done it so many times, but I still don't find it easy. It helps if you have another strong person to push the seat into the seat while you work with the belt.

HTH
Eden 9/04

megs4413
08-07-2005, 02:34 PM
Wow. I am so intimidated right now. Thanks for the reply. I think it sounds like should definitely use the latch. I know this is a dumb question but what makes you use one over the other? What are the differences between using the seat belts and using the Latch system?

DebbieJ
08-07-2005, 03:36 PM
Using the LATCH system is easier, but equally as safe as using the seatbelt.

The biggest difference is that most cars have LATCH anchors only in the outboard positions while it is really safest to install your car seat in the middle.

But the safest carseat is the one that is installed and used correctly, so if you can do it outboard, but not in the middle, then that's where you should do it.

Clear as mud?

Try to install it, using the manual step by step, and see how it goes. If you run into problems or questions, come back and post again and include pictures if you can! Make sure you use the tether, too.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

megs4413
08-10-2005, 08:09 PM
ummm....i can't figure out what the tether is. does it come with the wizard or do you have to buy that seperately? also i know where the latch anchors are in my car but i don't see how they connect. help!

KrisM
08-10-2005, 08:20 PM
The tether is on the back, at the top of the Wizard. It might be in a small pouch. I don't remember if mine started in the pouch or not.

You should have straps with alligator clips on either side of the carseat. These clips are what attach to the LATCH anchors.

Where are you installing? I don't think you can use LATCH in the center in an Explorer and you have to use the belts.

Does this help?

megs4413
08-10-2005, 08:26 PM
ok so we tried the seat belt installation and managed to get it done but the locking clips keep coming unlocked which makes me think..WTH are these for? so i think we must have done something wrong. I followed your tips but i really don't understand why we can't get the locking clips to stay locked. As it is now my DH is screaming at me about how unsafe the car seat is and how I wasted money on a crappy seat....i am trying to reassure him but we're gonna have to either solve the locking clip problem or we need to figure out how to do the latch installation. Please help us!

kijip
08-10-2005, 09:20 PM
If your car has LATCH, it is new enough that your seatbelts lock so you likely do not need the lock-offs that you say are not staying closed. They will often only close on one layer of belt and you may being trying to clip two sections of belt through it. For the most part, there is no need to use the lock-offs if you have a seatbelt that locks. I do not use the lock-offs in my cars

The tether is at the top of the seat in a little pouch that hangs off the back of the seat. The tether hook looks excatly like the LATCH hooks on the seat. There is a little connector strap in the pouch as well.

FWIW to your husband I have TWO Wizards, I love the seat and it (like the Marathon) work well in Explorers. No need to yell at you! I would not have bought a bad seat - I am a certified child passenger safety tech (CPS Tech). The Wizard really is a terrific seat overall for most cars. Take a break and return to the seat in a bit...you deserve a break!!!

Joolsplus2
08-10-2005, 09:33 PM
Those lockoffs are an annoying pain the in the neck... like tonsils! You can live just fine without them. ;)

They are mainly for older cars without locking seatbelts, and if you can't get them to stay closed (I used to install like 6 rearfacing britaxes per weekend, and even *I* went through he!! trying to get them to lock), then don't worry a bit. Just install the seat really tight without pulling the shoulderbelt all the way out first...once it's super tight and right where you want it, THEN pull the shoulderbelt all the way out and lock it. Voila, your seat is perfectly safe, and the shoulderbelt won't be pulling it up all sideways. Give yourself a couple weeks, and then attempt the lockoffs again when DH is at work and baby is napping and you have no pressure and everything will be just fine.

(((HUGS)))
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

KrisM
08-11-2005, 07:14 AM
We installed the Wizard in an Explorer for a trip. This was the first time we installed it at all. We had the same problem with the lock-offs. They would keep popping open. We had the same yelling about a terrible carseat, too!

I didn't know I didn't need to use the lock-offs if the seat belt locked. That is good to know!

Now the Wizard is installed in my Malibu, in the center, with LATCH, and it's super easy. We used it in the ambulance on a stretcher, and DH followed us in the car. I was able to re-install the Wizard at midnight, in the hospital parking lot, in about 4 minutes. It's great and DS AND DH love it :).

swampnurse
08-11-2005, 09:48 PM
you might want to do a search for Explorer. Jools helped me BIG time with detailed instructions on how to get the Wiz in My '03 Explorer mniddle seat using the belt. i contacted FORD extensively about using the LATCH anchors from the outboard positions and the general consensus was NO. Something about the middle seat back being independent.

megs4413
08-11-2005, 11:36 PM
thank you to everyone who responded!!!

We got it installed by using the lap belt in the center seat. I'm not 100% that it is correct so I'm going to have it inspected by a tech. It feels very secure, though. We finally found the tether when we had given up for the night and I was trying to figure out how to adjust the headrest. I am thinking about contacting britax though just so they take the lock off problem seriously. Apparently those lock offs are useless for most everyone and if i did have an older car...it might be unsafe. I hope it all works out because i invested a lot of time and research into which seat i wanted and i really thought this was the one....not to mention the fact that it was pricey. Thanks again for all your help!