PDA

View Full Version : Why does the price on the Snugride vary so much?

allyob
09-12-2005, 04:09 PM
Hi...it seems like the Snugride is the seat of choice in the Baby Bargains book, although a lot of the reviews I've read on websites state that it is very heavy. I am hoping this is not true. According to the book, the price is around $70 or $80, but it is $130 where I get all my baby stuff (Buy Buy Baby). Are there different features to them? I am afraid of buying the more inexpensive one online and then find that it likes something important.

melbb
09-12-2005, 04:17 PM
Some of them have different adjusters (front vs back) and the more expensive ones have gracopedic foam (better cushioning). You can go to the Graco website to decipher the different features. You can actually select the features you want and the site will list the patterns that meet those criteria.

Joolsplus2
09-12-2005, 04:19 PM
The spendier ones are guaranteed to have a 5 point harness and a front harness adjuster (strap by the feet to tighten the harness). The way cheap ones may have a three point harness (no lapstraps) and a rear adjuster (a pain to use, have to fiddle with straps on the back of the seat).
The harness is the most important feature to make sure you have right. Then such things as extra head pads, harness covers (which you have to take off to use the harness properly, anyway!), extra padding, and a winter blanket/boot are what you are paying for. www.gracobaby.com has ALL the models to look at and see what you're in for.
You can pretty much get a plain model (with 5 pt harness and front adjuster) and tuck a blanket around the baby in winter. If you're going to end up spending more money on a boot or winter cover, then you might as well get a full featured model from the start, I think.

Hope that helps at least a little... oh, and do NOT buy the old models that only go to 20 pounds and 26 inches, no matter what you do... make sure it goes to 22 pounds and 29 inches...it only sounds like a little, but it will make the seat last MUCH longer before it's outgrown:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx