PDA

View Full Version : Convertible car seat that will fit on an airplane....

Snubie
09-14-2005, 04:53 PM
We are in the process of researching conv. car seats for our daughter. She is currently 3 months but growing so fast that I want to be prepared when she out-grows her SnugRide (which she hates).

I know that the Britax models are the best but will they fit on an airplane? We haev several plane trips that we will need to take in the next few years for weddings and college graduations so we want a seat that we can use for this purpose. What do you recommend?

Thank you.

Stacey
Lauren Catherine 6/11/05

Zansu
09-14-2005, 07:05 PM
We've flown with RAs and MAs on AA and WN (Southwest) with no problems.

Britax convertibles usually fit well on airplanes b/c the bases are narrow.

DebbieJ
09-14-2005, 11:31 PM
No problem using our Marathon on Southwest or ATA. SWA flies only 737s, so you're good with those. I think our ATA flight was a 737 also, but I'm not sure.

ETA: If she hates her Snugride, buy the Britax now and switch her. We went from non-stop screaming fests in the infant seat to quiet, sleeping bliss in the Marathon. They're good from 5 pounds on up and can stay rear-facing until 33 pounds, so she'll be nice and safe. Go for it!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfed for 20 months and 6 days

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

kijip
09-15-2005, 01:25 AM
Our Britax Wizard fits on plane seats fine. That is the same shell size as the MA/DE/BV.

Snubie
09-15-2005, 12:14 PM
Thank you for your help. Now I just need to convince DH that we need to spend the money to buy a Britax rather than the Graco ComfortSport.

tobycat
09-15-2005, 01:51 PM
We just flew from Cleveland to Charlotte NC with our Marathon. Although the carseat fit on the plane seat, there was no room for the passenger in front to recline their seat. This may not sound like a big deal, but just try explaining that to the cranky passenger in front of you and the overworked flight attendent. (Who commented that she didn't think the seat should be approved for airplane use.) Luckily there was an empty seat that the other passenger could be moved to, but what if there hadn't been an empty seats? Ugh, a confrontation I'd rather miss.

PS. This was on a US Airways express jet.

Candice

stillplayswithbarbies
09-15-2005, 02:41 PM
when that happens to me, I just don't worry about it. I am using an approved seat according to the instructions from the airline. It's their problem if the other passenger can't recline. There are plenty of other seats on a plane that don't recline and this is no different. They reseat the passenger if they can, and hopefully apologize if they can't. But it's not my fault and it's not my problem. I just calmly go on explaining that I am following the instructions for installation and that is the only way I can do it.