PDA

View Full Version : Tethering question

Kidrepair
09-20-2005, 08:03 AM
Hi, hope there is someone reading this who can help me out. We just purchased a MA for my 2 yr. old DD. I have a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee, I now have a tether anchor in the rear center but not in either outboard positions. I was told this was the only place to put one. Because of other seats in the back I can't use the center for a carseat, otherwise my 6 yr. old cannot buckle her booster in. My question is if I can use the center tether anchor for an outboard postion? Or if anyone knows if I can get more anchors back there? Any replies would be great. Thank you.

Joolsplus2
09-20-2005, 08:33 AM
You won't believe this... the Grand only has an anchor point in the center, and the regular Cherokee only has anchor points outboard! :P.

It's really safEST to use the anchor point designated for the seating position, but it's hard to imagine tethering at the wrong angle actually being dangerous. Shoulderbelts locked into Marathon shoulderbelt lockoffs do act somewhat as top tethers, so being outboard and untethered isn't really terrible... you get to decide as a parent if installing the seat outboard and reaching the tether to the middle is something you're comfortable with. Generally, a "no more than 20 degrees" angle for the tether is preferred (imagine a right triangle on your vehicle ceiling... the middle top of the seat is one corner, the tether anchor is one corner, and the line reaching straight forward to the seatback makes another corner... a piece of paper folded into a 45 degree triangle, then folded again the same way makes a 22.5 degree triangle, and that's the max angle you'd want to reach your tether sideways... does that make ANY sense at all?) , and it's possible that the anchor is so far back, that the angle is at 20 degrees or less, so you might be in 'technically acceptable' range, but you'll have to decide.
What booster is your 6 yo in? Maybe an armless Parkway would make it possible to buckle next to a Marathon in the center? (still would be easier to keep them both outboard in general, though, I'd imagine...)

Sorry to leave you with a tough choice... write back if there's anything that needs more explanation.

Disclaimer: everyone else, pleeeease don't do this if you have any option at all of installing a top tether in the proper seating positon, Ok? :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Kidrepair
09-20-2005, 09:30 AM
Hi Julie,

I have my 6 yr. old in a TB. I tried the Parkway at TRU with the MA in the center and I would have to move it every time I buckled her in and then move it back, not an option when I am in a driving line for pickup at school. If I need to put 3 across I do have a Safe Embrace booster which I will use in a pinch, nice and skinny and the only booster I have found you can reach the buckle on with a carseat next to it, although it one of the hardest carseats I have seen and sits up so straight if my daughter falls asleep she flops over.
I have another question, what is the difference between the Husky and the Regent? I am looking for something for my DH Jeep, you have replied before about my dilemma with my 6 yr. old and his Jeep with lap belts only. I was thinking of the 86Y Harness but my husband likes the idea of the Husky. I don't know if he can get tethers in there though. I think the harness attaches to a tether and if I am not mistaken the Husky also has to be harnessed after a certain weight. Correct me if I am wrong? Thank you for your replies.

Joolsplus2
09-20-2005, 02:24 PM
The only difference in the Husky and the Regent is the cover choices.
Your DH has the CJ7, right? I saw one of those the other day (a 1979, pretty sure it's the same as a 76!) and whoa, the Husky would be as big as the jeep! lol...ok, not really..it would acually probably work ok. Yeah, you need to get top tethers installed, and might as well get the heavy duty ones from www.ezonpro.com. I have 'generic' tether anchor installation instructions in my tether manual that I can maybe scan for you, if your dh wants to tackle the project. The other main issue is head support...that jeep has zero... The Husky will provide support, but for the harness, you'd need the "ride ryte booster" that can be used with it, and that's pretty short..you might end up with the 6 yo in the husky and the three yo in the harness! (unless there's some nifty aftermarket headrest in one of the car-addicts catalogs I don't know about...)

Wow, wasn't the jeep a lot more unbridled fun before you knew anything about carseat safety? :D
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx