PDA

View Full Version : jOOLS or other cps tech- question!

clc053103
09-22-2005, 12:49 PM
Hello! I have a Snugride in my 2004 BMW X 5. It is in center position. I had it installed by a CPS tech at our local police dept.

When my DH removes the seat from the passenger side of the vehicle (note shoulder strap is on the drivers side), the base "tilts" to the passenger side, and I then have to reinstall it. That to me does not seem safe. I reviewed the booklet and it looks like the seatbelt in my car is the kind that requires the clip. However, the CPS tech did not install the clip. The latch plate freely slides along the belt (with kust a very small plastic "nub" to stop it.

Could you tell me if the base is tilting/flipping because the clip was not used, or is there something else wrong with the install?

Joolsplus2
09-22-2005, 01:32 PM
Ok, here's the story: You don't NEED a locking clip(yes, the manual says you do, because you have a sliding latch plate...BUT, they never mention that you have a switchable retractor...you know how you pull the belt all the way out and it locks tight as it retracts? That renders a locking clip unecessary).

But here's the rub: you CAN use a locking clip and NOT lock the shoulderbelt. What the clip will do is keep the lapbelt really tight, but let the shoulderbelt flop loose so it doesn't pull the base up sideways.

This page shows that tipping seat problem, and how to use a locking clip to fix it. http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm

Another thing you can do, is to install the seat tight tight tight without locking the seatbelt...and then VERY gently pull the shoulderbelt all the way out and let it retract slowly. That should slow down the tipping considerably (which may be how the tech did it without a locking clip and it didn't tilt? I always just explain this to parents and then make them help me put the locking clip on, lol)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

clc053103
09-22-2005, 01:51 PM
Thank you- I actually install the way you stated (slowly pull out the seatbelt etc) and it does happen slowly - like it doesn't happen every day, I notice it tilting every few weeks- moreso when DH removes the seat from the passenger side (ah the never ending battle of the lefties vs the righties!)

I would like to avoid using the locking clip if possible so I will just keep an eye on it and reinstall following your directions as needed. I wish I saw that site sooner so I could use the proper latchplate and buckle terms- I think I once called the latchplate "the part with the hole in it".

I was actaully just on the phone with BMW b/c the center seat's buckle is in a cut out area of the seat- so when the buckle is in use, it leaves a ditch that the one side falls into. I have been using the buckle from the passenger side rear seat instead, but I just read in the Graco book to always use the correct buckle. So I called BMW service- they service tech told me he has a 10 month old and the same problem. They make nothing to fill the gap- he also used a rolled up blanket. So I guess I can fix that too when I do the reinstall!

Thanks so much for your help- you are a great resource here. I will be back for advice on my next purchase as my huge DS will be out of his infant seat in no time!

Courtney

Joolsplus2
09-22-2005, 02:03 PM
think I once called the latchplate "the part with the hole in it".
>>>
LOL! Hey, whatever gets the message across! I usually call them female and male sides, and some people's minds just aren't dirty enough to get it ;)
I know for sure a Big Ol Britax fits fine in that car, I've installed a few of them :D

clc053103
09-22-2005, 09:24 PM
DEFINITELY going with the Britax- I may need a HUSKY for my little husky, he was almost 15 lbs at 9 weeks! But his growth rate could slow down a bit! DH has a Volvo S60- considerably smaller back seat. Finding a seat to fit his car might prove more difficult.

Thanks again!
Courtney

Joolsplus2
09-23-2005, 07:38 AM
Don't worry, he'll slow down...and the Husky doesn't rearface, so you'll have to wait a couple years on that.
A big britax should fit in an S60, too, as long as the front seat passengers aren't really tall! ;)...but a Roundabout will definitely work and should last you about 3+ years, plus is lighter for air travel.

Aunt to sweet baby boy
09-23-2005, 10:23 AM
If you want i drive an S60 and my sister has both an MA and DC so i could try it out for you and tell you about the fit.

Let me know

Ilana and her dn avi rf in a MA and DC ~26 lbs at 11 months

clc053103
09-23-2005, 12:56 PM
Ilana:

thanks so much for the offer!!! Would you mind checking out the MA and DC in your S60 and letting me know? That would save me a lot of investigation! Please post or sent private message when you have a chance to check them- no urgency though, I have (I hope!) a few more months!

Jools:
thanks again for your help. I may go the RA route if I think there is a Husky in my future- if DS slows down and becomes more "average" I will go MA or DC.

Aunt to sweet baby boy
09-23-2005, 07:42 PM
I will try to experiment tomorrow night. Do you want me to try the seat in the middle of the back or the side or both? I would be happy to try it out for you. The only thing is that the DC is currently installed in my sisters car while the MA is not I could try both seats if you would like or if it would be ok i would just try the MA.

clc053103
09-25-2005, 07:53 PM
that's great- try whatever one your sister has at the time, that would be so helpful!I assume center position would be the best- and easiest since there's some room between the seats- otherwise I think they will hit the seatbacks!

Aunt to sweet baby boy
09-27-2005, 11:10 AM
Ok i just tried the MA out. RF it fit well in the middle seat. If you needed to fit 3 across or to have 2 other people sitting in the back i would install it outboard because in the middle it makes it very hard to access the other seatbelt and i would be very nervous that someone would unbuckle the carseat by mistake. It did not block my vision in the rear view mirror at all and if i turned back it was even with the top of the seats. I even adjusted the seat to my dad's preset because he is 6'2" and the two seats did not even touch. I would probably some shelf liner to put under the seat because leather is so slippery it makes me nervous but thats just me. I also tried installing it FF just for the heck of it and i could only do it outboard. The middle headrest did not come up high enough for the seat to clear it and i could not figure out a way to take it off. It installed great outboard however.

BTW my car is a 2001 but there are no LATCH anchors. If your car is newer it will have, i think they were put in the next year. Also with the install the seat is very upright but if you have a younger child you can use the tether to recline it some more.

GL and let us know what you decide

Ilana and her dn avi going on 26 lbs rf at 11 months in a MA and DC

clc053103
09-27-2005, 02:07 PM
Thank you so much for the research!!!

This is our one and only baby for now, so I can install any position necessary. The Volvo I believe is a 2004- so it will have latch. I believe that a MA will be the way to go- it most likely will only be rear facing, I imagine DH will have a new car by FF time. And the MA will definitely fit in my larger truck.

Thanks again, you meet such wonderful people on this board!

Courtney

Joolsplus2
09-27-2005, 02:35 PM
Great review, thanks! <flip flip flip...storing it in memory banks...>
Not sure if it WOULD work, but sometimes, rolling a towel up under the Marathon, even if you don't strictly need it for recline, can get the seat *just* out of the way enough so that the outboard seatbelt buckles can be reached... I almost always need a towel or a noodle in a Mercedes, of all things, rofl!

Aunt to sweet baby boy
09-28-2005, 12:51 AM
If it was not 11 at night i would go out to the car and try that. I know even when i had my dns graco comfortsport (replaced by MA) in the back seat it was hard to access the buckle, they are just positioned badly. I personally love minivans with children. I can install the MA in my pontiac minivan with capitans chairs in under 5 minutes. I recline the seat back, buckle the seat, pull the seatbelt all the way out to lock it, retract it as much as possible and then make the seat upright and it is in solid. I am able to shake the whole car just by moving the carseat!

Jools i was also wondering i saw your license plate is in CA and i live in CA in Los Angeles i was wondering what area you live in. You can pm me if you do not want to post it on the board.

I am so glad i could help!

Ilana and her dn avi rf in a MA and DC at 11 months going on 26 lbs

Joolsplus2
09-28-2005, 08:54 AM
I need to change my avatar when I get a new license, since I now live in Virginia! I was near San Francisco before, though. Do you ever do any checks with Safetbeltsafe? www.carseat.org? they are like the best group to live 'near' if not right next to, lol!

Yeah, volvo seatbelts aren't my fave to work with :P.

Aunt to sweet baby boy
09-28-2005, 10:30 AM
I did not think that you lived in CA but then i saw the license plate and was not sure :-)!

What do you mean did i ever do checks with them? I am not a tech, at least not yet, i have just come to this board to learn informations about what i should and should not do carseat wise with dn and now i cant leave. I hope one day when i finish school that i can become a tech, but right now i dont have time :-(!

It is wierd that this expensive car is harder to put a carseat into than our pontiac minivan!

Ilana and her dn avi~ 1 year old in 7 days!!

Joolsplus2
09-28-2005, 11:12 AM
Well, you know, everyone used to think I was a tech before I got certified... I didn't learn anything in the class, rofl! You can always call about an event beforehand and offer to be a scribe... it's SO helpful to have someone do all that pesky paperwork while you're digging around in people's cars.

;)

clc053103
09-28-2005, 12:29 PM
Jools now I have another problem!!! Your Mercedes reference- MIL has an E class and she is watching DS when I go back to work next week part time (ugh). Will I have difficulty installing the Snugride base? Could you recommend a good "secondary car" convertible seat that would work well in her vehicle- I can't afford to go Britax for her car as well, when DS will be in her car for most likely no longer than 30 minutes a week over say, 3 trips (she lives 5 minutes away and I anticipate she will take him no further than the grocery store!)

Joolsplus2
09-28-2005, 02:15 PM
The snugride will be fine (might need a rolled towel for leveling), and the Cosco Scenera (Scenara at www.target.com) is a great cheap seat (will definitely need a rolled towel, or spring for a thick foam 'leveler' for a really easy installation).