PDA

View Full Version : GoGo Kidz Review (long)

mariza
09-23-2005, 06:42 AM
We flew into Atlanta yesterday and I have to say that overall this is the *best* baby gear investment I have made to date! (not including the safety items like carseats of course)
The GoGo Kidz was pretty easy to attach, it took about 5 minutes the first time, but I'm sure now that I know how it will only take about one minute in the future. DD was very comfy in her Roundabout and we got stares and lots of people checking out our new wheels. When I changed DD's diaper in the restroom about 3 women stopped to ask what it was and where I got it.
We packed one giant suitcase with all of our things together and checked it at the counter. We didn't bring the stroller for this trip, just the Snugli, but for a longer trip we will also check the stroller at the counter. This eliminated a lot of carrying! We had the Dash attached to the handle and I carried another big diaper bag with my stuff, camera, etc. messnger style and that was it! We just took DD out of the seat and I carried her through security, and put the seat on the X-ray belt with the bag still attached, so easy! Of course I had it packed so full they counldn't make out anything in the bag and called for a bag check, so we had to take it off anyway, lol! Just pack lighter than me!
It was easy to install on the flight, we did not need a seat belt extender, there was actually too much slack on one end and just as I was about to have a panic attack I heard Joolsplus2's "voice" telling me to twist the stalk of the seat belt and all went well! (thanks Jools, lol!)
The wheels performed great and made for a very smooth ride, pushing was very easy and no problem pushing with one hand. You could very easily handle 2 of these things by pushing one in front and pulling one in back.
I would not use this to replace a stroller for a vacation because it does get tiresome after a while pushing down on the handle to keep the front of the seat up (there are only wheels in back, so you have to make sure the front of your carseat doesn't scrape the ground). Normally in an airport this is no big deal, but Atlanta and the new Delta terminal in Boston are 2 airports that I can think of that have long walks from ticket counter and baggage claim to gates. (My DH never wants to take the train between terminals in ATL so we always end up walking, ugh!)
We used the GoGo Kidz on the moving walkway, the smooth surfaces in the airport and the brick tiles in the MARTA station, it did well on all surfaces. When on the MARTA I did have to keep a good hold on it because it would slide every time the train stopped and started, so brakes would be nice, but not that big of a deal that it would stop me from buying again. The Skip hop Dash worked great with it, so great that DH asked me not to sell my current one which I was going to do in order to finance a new Denim Dash. So now the Charcol Dash is DH's, don't you love when DH's come around! I think if you have a Duo or Expo it could work, but may drag a bit on the ground. *DISCLAIMER* GoGo Babyz does not recommend hanging anything from the GoGo Kidz wheel attachment, so I'm not recommending that you do this, just letting you know what I did and it seemed to work well for me. (it does tip back when DC is not in the seat)
I love love love this product even though I think it is ridiculously overpriced for what it actually is. Should cost more like $40, but you are paying for convienience and in the end that is what makes it worth every penny!
I think I covered anything, any questions feel free to ask!

Joolsplus2
09-23-2005, 08:23 AM
Woo Hoo! I can imagine my little angel face popping up over your left shoulder during that plane install, lol. ;)

Well, I'm glad you took the plunge to buy one first and it was worth it...keep it nice and you should make a fair deal on resale when you're done with it, lol.
(or rent it out to us when you aren't traveling, rofl!)
:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

houseof3boys
09-23-2005, 09:12 AM
Awesome!!! Thanks for the report. I ordered mine yestereday and look forward to trying it out now even more.

Have a great weekend here and have fun shopping at the outlets. :)

momma_boo
09-23-2005, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the great review.

We may end up taking a trip next February which would entail dragging two carseats along and this sounded like a great gizmo (although there is no way I can afford to get one for each carseat).

Joolsplus2
09-23-2005, 10:00 AM
What a lot of folks do with two seats is to put one on a luggage carrier, and then prop the other one on top of it, upside down, and bungee the whole mess together. Obviously you can't put a kid in it then, but it's at least sort of easy to wheel it all through the airport (uh, yeah... like wheeling anything through an airport is ever EASY... lol)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

ilovetivo
11-04-2005, 03:13 PM
Mariza - I just ordered mine, (babycenter thru ebates w/ $10 off coupon = $88.20) but still have some questions:

Do you have to take the cart off to install in the plane or car? Forward or rear facing? I'll be doing rear facing.

Does it interfere with LATCH?

What's the "stalk of the seat belt"?

W/ security, you put the seat thru w/ the cart and the dash attached?

Silly question...w/ escalators, I assume you're supposed to take dc out of it and carry them?

Did you keep the dash attached on the top handle or did it hang right behind the seat? (i have a dash and roundabout too)

Thanks!

mariza
11-30-2005, 08:38 PM
I just saw this today, haven't been around much lately...I hope it's not to late to answer your questions!
I would not use the GoGo Kidz on an escalator (but then, I'm chicken :o ) We just use elevators.
The Dash hangs off the back around the top of the seat (not on the top of the handle), but it does tend to slide down which is why I got rid of my Skip Hop Expo, it would drag on the floor. Even with the slippage, the Dash hold up pretty well.
At security you keep the wheels on and depending on the size of the tunnel on the X-ray it should fit. I've done both with and without the Dash attached, DH always takes it off, but if you lay the carseat facedown on the x-ray belt, you can flip the Dash over so it lays flat behind the seat. Some tunnels however are too small for a MA (we travel with our RA and it's a tight fit) so it's best to remove the diaper bag and ask them to hand-check your carseat. It takes longer but there will be no worry of breaking the seat or wheels.
You do not have to remove the wheels for the flight, but you do for the car. We've done both FF and RF on the flight works either way.
The seatbelt stalk is the short end of the seatbelt.
I hope I answered all of your questions even though you probably don't need me to anymore :)

ilovetivo
12-01-2005, 11:01 PM
Thanks! I'm travelling in 2 weeks.

ilovetivo
12-14-2005, 10:22 PM
HELP! I leave friday. How the heck do you put the Dash on the seat? I just can't figure it out. If I clip it to the 2 handle poles, it's all squished.

Thanks!

ETA: Here's some pics of how I attached the Dash to it. I used the long strap, shortened it abt 3/4 of the way and just wrapped it once around the handle. By the way, we LOVED the GoGo Kidz. It does not roll down the aisles of S-80 planes.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/31506.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/31507.jpg

ilovetivo
04-03-2006, 05:15 PM
The Right Start now carries them

hipmaman
04-03-2006, 09:14 PM
That's exactly what we do with our MA and WZ on the Samsonite big luggage cart. The WZ at the bottom and the MA upside down and facing the WZ. This cart has a built-in bungee cord that we can use w/o having to use extra bungee cord(s).

When the kids were little and walking through the airport would be too much (for them and us, lol), we used our Kiwi Explorer (or the current version E3). Gate-check the stroller in a stroller bag and install the carseats.

carolines mommy
04-04-2006, 12:45 AM
I am convinced I am now going to buy those for our Britax seats so I won't have to drag a stroller and 2 carseats with me through the airport when I travel alone with both kids. Thanks for the review!

Erika

shilo
04-04-2006, 02:05 AM
hi guys,

i am thinking of getting one for our trip to boston next week as well. there is a lady who sells them locally here in my area.

so here is my question: she also 'rents' them. i think based on the web description she basically gives you a used one, if you like it you keep it, if not, you send it back and she refunds everything but the $20 'rental' fee and shipping. so for those who have used it - is it worth it to buy a new one if we have 2 upcoming plane trips this year, or better to rent and try it out even if it means the one we keep may be used (with no discount)???

WWYD??

thanks,
lori

Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

ilovetivo
04-04-2006, 08:44 AM
I'd buy it if you have 2 trips for sure.