PDA

View Full Version : Evenflo Titan

hunnybunny
09-24-2005, 12:28 AM
Ok.. Now that DS is outgrowing his Snugride, I'm back to the boards. I figured I go simple (and economical) with the Consumer Reports recommendation for the Evenflo Titan 5. But I don't see much mention of it here. Am I missing something? Safety is more important than cost. Anyone out there happy with it?
Thanks.

kijip
09-24-2005, 07:30 PM
The Titan is my #1 least favorite seat to install. It is difficult in most cars IME to fit tightly and while in the RF position in most cars the freaking harness adjuster is pressed up against the seat back rendering it unreachable. It is also super skimpy on the padding, lacks EPS foam and the cover is difficult to remove to wash (according to one mom I spoke to). The only good thing I can say about this seat is that I don't own one. The CR tests that ranked it so high are not taken very seriously by a lot of other techs I know.

kellyotn
09-24-2005, 08:27 PM
The best inexpensive seat I see recommended here is the Cosco Scenara/Touriva/Regal Ride 5-point. Its $40 or so at WalMart, Kmart and Target.

The Scenara is the newest version and is apparently a bit nicer.

Its said to install nicely in lots of cars, has a high rear facing weight limit and nice tall slots. Its also lightweight and great for travel. It is a 40 pound max seat front facing (as are most seats).

Its not the cushiest thing out there, but still very very nice and well-regarded.

Alternatively, a Britax 65 pound seat will last a LOT longer (5-6 years) - making it actually pretty cheap if you think about the per year cost.

But, one of the Coscos is a great deal and hopefully there will be more harnessed-past-40-lb options in the future that you can look at when the time comes. I'm in that boat now. My DD is just turning 3, 34 lbs and outgrowing her seat that is in DH's truck by height. I'm having a hard time deciding what to get. I'd like not to have to buy another MA, but I'm worried she'll gain those 6 pounds quickly as she seems due for a big growth spurt. (She's been pretty steady for over a year.)

Joolsplus2
09-25-2005, 09:39 AM
Evenflo was going to discontinue that awful, awful seat (sure it's safe, but oh my GOD, it's hard to use and gets outgrown by REALLY young kids!), and then CR came out with that report, and Evenflo kept it in production!
Marathon, Decathlon, Boulevard, Roundabout, Scenera, Trimph... those are the better seats to choose among (the first three will last you a full 5-6 years, the last three about 3-4 years...you want to keep a kid harnessed till age 5, so if you go with one of the latter three, you'll be shopping again for a seat with taller slots or a higher weight limit...which is no problem, if you like shopping, lol).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Canna
09-25-2005, 09:34 PM
We bought one at Target, brought it home, looked at it and played with it a bit. One of my BIG requirements was that I wanted to like the strap adjustment on whatever seat we were going to use. I was so unhappy with the one on this seat - it was REALLY hard to tighten. Not even installed: just sitting on the floor. We returned the seat and went out and got a Britax Wizard instead. Way more money but we are very happy with our decision.