PDA

View Full Version : FF car seat for tall 2.5 yo?

marit
09-25-2005, 11:47 PM
I am soon going to put my baby in out RA, and am looking for a new car seat for my 2.5 yo DD. It only needs to be FF, but with straps. She is still too young for a booster. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Aunt to sweet baby boy
09-25-2005, 11:51 PM
in order to give suggestions we would appreciate knowing your dds weight and your price range.

Thanks!

Ilana and her dn avi rf in a MA and DC

marit
09-26-2005, 12:27 AM
Oh, sorry...

My DD weighs 29 lbs. Her height was in the 90th percentile at her 2 yo check up (don't remember the inches, I'll measure her tomorrow). Price is not an issue (well, it is, but) I want to buy the safest seat for her. We have a Mazda MPV, which is a small Minivan. The car seat will be in a captain seat.

I was looking at the Husky, but it just seams so huge!

Aunt to sweet baby boy
09-26-2005, 12:43 AM
Well i think you have a bunch of options:

Buy dd a MA and when she is ~5 pass it on to your ds
Buy dd a combo seat which is a 5 pt harness and then becomes a booster. If you do not want to spend as much money you could have dd in it untill she outgrows it by either weight or height and then buy her a good booster or you could get a more expensive seat that would last longer
Since your dd is so lightweight i think a husky would be overkill. I think they work very well for large children but she seems like she is pretty small if she is 29 lbs - on the other hand my 11 month old dn is 26 so i might be biased~

I think you do not have to worry about the size of a seat if you have capitans chairs. The chairs might seem small but even if the seat is a little off the chair it is fine.

HTH

Ilana and her dn avi rf at 11 months in a MA and DC

Joolsplus2
09-26-2005, 08:58 AM
Any of the "combo" seats by Graco (ultra/platinum/cherished Cargo) or Evenflo (chase/traditions/generations/bolero) are fine as harnessed seats. If you like the quality of your Roundabout, then you'll love the Recaro Young Sport, which is brand new, but super nice, and becomes a *really good* booster later (much better than the graco/evenflo seats...). Here's a nice review of the Young Sport http://uccomama-ivil.tripod.com/id14.html

I won't answer you on the other board, we'll give someone else a chance to chime in without me :)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

marit
09-26-2005, 01:07 PM
Thank you Julie!

Do you also think the Husky is an overkill?

Do you think, maybe, I should get a MA after all, even if I don't need the RF option? Would it be safer than the RYS? Where can I see the RYS IRL?

Thank you,

uccomama
09-26-2005, 01:31 PM
The Recaro YS probably offers better side impact protection than the MA, so if you are installing it outboard, this is something to consider.

Deborah

Joolsplus2
09-26-2005, 01:31 PM
Yeah, the Husky is just really really big... I got it for my then-5 yo and he's been in it three years and likes it, but my then-3 yo was swamped in it and complained about the lack of sleep support (of course, it's still a great choice for a REALLY BIG 2 yo, don't get me wrong!)
I can't say for sure if the RYS is actually safer than the MA...it seems to certainly be stronger on the side impact front, but I dont' think the MA is UNsafe, either.
With a younger baby, you'll get heaps of use out of the Marathon, so you can't really go wrong with it.

Not sure where the RYS is right yet...call around to better baby stores...it seems to be in stock all over the 'net so it must be *somewhere* IRL!

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

marit
09-26-2005, 05:37 PM
I just came back from my baby's 4 month appointment and he is too tall for his snugride (I think the limit is 26 inches, right?)! It's funny how we make tall babies because both of us are kinda short... So I guess I'll get the other carseat sooner than I thought! I think I'll go for the RYS. It makes more sense to invest in something that turns into a booster that something that is RF, when I have 2 RA's already.

Thanks for all your help.