PDA

View Full Version : Subaru rear facing tether

niccig
09-27-2005, 08:09 PM
I'm trying to install our new BV into a Subaru Tribeca, but I'm not sure about a rear facing tether point. There is no space to thread the strap through the seat belt anchor. The car seat leg has a panel bolted on one side that I can't get off to wrap the strap around. There is a bar, about as thick as my finger that runs from the back seat leg to the front seat leg, it does not move when the seat moves, can I attach the tether here? Once DH comes home and finds the USB cable for the camera, I'll attach photos to show you what I mean. Why or why can't the cable and the camera be stored in the same place!!!

Also, the seat without the tether is a little more than 45 degrees. Will the tether adjust the angle enough or should I use a rolled up towel?

Other than that, the seat is installed tight. I ended up straddling the seat facing the trunk to get it in nice and secure - no movement, so I'm proud of that.

Thanks everyone.

Nicci

Joolsplus2
09-27-2005, 08:29 PM
Oh sure, BE the first one to get a new car! ;)

Yeah, send along some pictures, but really, that unmoving metal bar sounds like a winner, and should take care of your recline issue.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

niccig
09-27-2005, 09:53 PM
Yep, I'm now regretting this purchase. I searched old posts and saw where to tether on other subarus, but that won't work for us.

I went back outside and I looked more closely. On the seat leg there is a piece of metal that has a cut out. I can quite easily clip the metal clip of the tether to this cut out. But I'm not sure if that is safe? I'm not using the strap and the piece of metal is thinner than the unmoving metal bar. But the metal bar isn't attached to the seat leg. It's attached underneath the seat rail near the back seat leg and again near the front seat leg. The bar definitely doesn't move - the seats are electric seats that move on the seat rail.

I'll take photos in the morning. I am going to get the seat inspected, once I find a place that will do it - there has to be a place in LA. But from what I've read of other people's experiences with techs, I trust more what the techs here say.

Oh, and Jools, after this installation I have a Cosco Touriva in an 04 Prius and I'm fairly sure you know that combination, so that should be easier....I hope.

I'll post piccies tomorrow morning.
Nicci

lpl47
09-27-2005, 10:03 PM
How do you like the Tribeca (other than the RF tether problem)?

We have a Subaru outback imprezza that's almost 10 years old and we're beginning to think about replacing it with either the bigger outback legacy or with the Tribeca (I love the 3rd row of seats option).

Thanks

Joolsplus2
09-28-2005, 07:11 AM
Oooh, how exciting, a hook that fits your top tether anchor :) Can't wait to see pics.

Um... Scenera in a Prius? Yah, it'll work, but I highly doubt you'll find it *easier*...it won't be hard, but it won't be easier than a Britax ;)

www.carseat.org is based in LA, and they have clinics sometimes, they are definitely reputable...

ShayleighCarsensMom
09-28-2005, 09:51 AM
WE have a subaru outback and I am not sure if maybe they make some parts the same or not but...
If you are looking at the back or either the driver or passenger seat at the floor, pop off the plastic cap that is towards the middle of the car. Ours has a hole that perfectly fits the tether anchor strap...hopefully yours is the same, its very easy!

niccig
09-28-2005, 01:05 PM
Here are a few pictures of possible rear facing anchors

Metal bar in background (Note. I currenlty have the tether attached to metal piece on seat leg)
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/niccig03/DSC_0146.jpg

Seat leg with metal piece on left
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/niccig03/DSC_0150.jpg

Close up of seat leg and metal piece on left (blurry, sorry)
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/niccig03/DSC_0151.jpg

BV rear facing - is the angle OK?
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/niccig03/DSC_0140.jpg

Please let me know where you think the best anchor is.

Thanks
Nicci

niccig
09-28-2005, 01:11 PM
Julie,
What are your installation tips for the Touriva in the Prius? Anything I need to know about in advance? I know it won't be easier than the Britax, I was very proud of myself last night for getting it in so tight.

I'll check out carseat.org for their clinics. The NTSA database also listed a few places near me, but last time when I tried to get the snugride checked, many places no longer had techs. I'll just keep making phone calls.

Nicci

niccig
09-28-2005, 01:47 PM
We really like the Tribeca. It has the subaru handling we like, spoiled by our WRX wagon, and extra room we need. We bought the 7 seater for the 3rd seat row as we had to borrow a friend's car when my parents were in town. We have sat 2 adults in the 3rd row, but the leg space is limited, even when you have the 2nd row all the way forward. It's OK as long as the people aren't too tall and only for short distances. More room for Kids - our 12 yr old cousin had plenty of room back there.

Test drive it and see what you think. It's my car and I much preferred how it drove over other similiar sized SUVs. We also thought we got a lot of car for the $$ - engine/handling/interior details etc. Gas mileage is OK for it's size, but no where near our Prius..sigh.

Make sure you take all your car seats, strollers etc to see if they fit.

Car Seat Positions because this is the Car Seat Forum.

Outboard positions are recommended for car seats for LATCH or seatbelts..

Center position - No LATCH. The manual says this position is not recommended even though there are top anchors and A/ELR seatbelts because the projection of the seat cushion may prevent the seat from being secured firmly. It says to make sure you only use a seat that has a bottom base that fits snugly against the contours of the cushion and can be securely retained using the seatbelt.

NOTE. This warning about the seat cushions is also printed in the sections about the recommended outboard positions. I take this to mean that you have to make sure that the seat is in securely in ANY position. So you COULD use the center position if you want, just make sure the seat fits and it's in tight with the seatbelt. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

3rd Row
Again it says not recommended, and repeats the warning about the the seat cushions. There is no LATCH but "children restraint devices can be used in these positions using the A/ELR seatbelts and upper anchorages (tether anchorages) provided." It is a little difficult to get into the 3rd row and because of the limited leg room, you may have trouble getting a car seat in at all. But it's an option if the car seat fits.

I have the BV and before that the snugride in the outboard passenger side position using LATCH. DH incorrectly had the snugride in the center using LATCH for the outboard positions. Luckily Jools corrected me on that and I moved the seat. I haven't tried to put the BV in the center. It probably would work, but then you might have the rear facing tether anchor issue. I think I've got 2 anchor options for the outboard positions, so I'll leave the BV there if the CPS techs agree. Also, it's easier for me to get DS in the car. In the center position, I have to half climb into the back seat - I'm short. Both the BV and the Tribeca have side impact protection, so I'm confident DS is safe in this position.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Nicci

Joolsplus2
09-28-2005, 02:08 PM
Boy, it's a rearfacing wonderland in that car :D. The one you chose looks fine to me....and the BV in Park Avenue looks NICE in there,too!
The angle's fine, but you really can make it more upright and the recline the front seat a little more, so you can be more comfy in the front seat (unless you really never use the front seat yet for whatever reason...really, it looks like a great install).

niccig
09-28-2005, 03:08 PM
Yay, I got it right! My first install without DH.

I will make the seat a little more upright, I really pulled down hard on the rear-facing tether, so I'll re-do that. And then, I'll cut off the tags on the car seat. I kept them on in case it didn't fit well. The Park Avenue does go well with the grey interior, and it's so soft.

The 2nd row seats can be moved and I have them all the way back so there's more room for the front passenger seat but it would be nice to recline the seat a little more. Either there's no one in the passenger seat or it's me and I'm short and have plenty of leg room. But still less than in the Prius. I'm always suprised about how much room is in the cabin of that car.

So now to install the touriva in the Prius - any helpful hints Jools?

Oh, the BV infant insert - is there any age/weight limit? Barrett's about 27" and 18 lbs - will it be too much with him and the insert? I've yet to try him in the car seat - napping while I was installing, taking photos. I hope he likes the seat as it's not coming out for a long time - will rear face until the seat limits.

Thanks for your help.
Nicci

niccig
09-28-2005, 03:55 PM
Jools, I called carseat.org like you suggested. They aren't having a clinic, but I spoke with one of their techs, I was told she's also the executive officer. She told me to make sure the latch connectors were the correct way around so not upside down etc and to make the recline more upright. Other than that she said it sounds like it's in right.

Should I take it for someone to check in person - the closest is highway patrol? Part of me wants to, and the other part is worried I'll get some cowboy/cowperson tech who will tell me I've got it all wrong and will redo it all incorrectly, so I'll just have to do it again. Or am I being silly?

Nicci

Joolsplus2
09-28-2005, 04:22 PM
ROFL! Cowboy tech! Actually, yeah, I'd be afraid of that, too. Did you actually speak with Stephanie Tombrello? She's the top rung at carseat.org and very very nice and knows her stuff (anyone else there does, too).
You know...I never once went to a tech before I went to my class...you just never know when some idjit will tell you to untether it or install it worse than you did. Since you aren't having a problem, and you got advice already, I probably wouldn't bother going to the CHP ;).

Ah...Scenera in a Prius... you just do it, and tell me what issues you run into and we'll work them out then :D

niccig
09-28-2005, 04:53 PM
Cowboy tech..yeah, my Dad used to be a long distance truck driver and would talk about all the other cowboy drivers.

Yes, I was given Stephanie's home office number to call - she was very nice. She wanted to know where I heard about them and I told her about you. She thought it was great that there our CPS techs giving advice on parenting boards about car seats and recommending inspections.

She said to make sure the LATCH tethers were clipped in correctly. She said the Marathon's have a sticker "driver side" etc. I couldn't remember this, so I just went and uninstalled the seat and reinstalled it to make sure. Practice makes perfect and I think it's in better this time. The Boulevard's don't have the sticker but the inside of the tether says "this side to car seat" and this time around I got the loud click sound, so I know they're in correctly.

She advised against pulling the recline back to 45 degrees. As Barrett is older, so said it's safer to have him more upright, but still comfortable. Something about if he's reclined too much, the seat can rebound too far...I think that's what she said? So I just took the slack out of the rear facing tether. It's not loose, but not pulled taut either, if that makes sense. I'll put him in the seat when he wakes up and see if he's comfortable.

She said to keep him rearfacing min. 18-24 months or the weight limit on the seat.

They're sending me some follow up information, I'll see what's in that package.

What do you do with all the extra tether strap, it's just flopping around on the floor at the moment?

I'll swap cars with DH tomorrow and install the Touriva....your response isn't giving me much confidence. This will be our travel seat, so I need to know how to install it - I might practice several times to make sure using LATCH and seatbelt.

Thanks again Jools. I'm confident the seat is in rock solid.
Nicci

Joolsplus2
09-28-2005, 06:44 PM
I would have mentioned which LATCH anchor to use, but I knew they come set up for RF...but hey, if it got you extra practice, that's the good thing :)
She's right...no need to recline a full 45 degrees... here, why not check out my seat (lol) and you can see what a slightly more upright angle looks like...compare the shoulderbelt lockoffs' angles between your picture and mine http://photobucket.com/albums/y255/joolstag/ (I swear I didn't know my arm was THAT hairy!). The more upright the seat starts out in a crash, the less far it will "dump down" (rotate downwards) during the crash, and the less down it goes, the lower the risk of injury.

Not to worry, I can't imagine that your other seat will be bad, it'll just be a very different experience.... You just can't go from the most expensive seat on the market to the least expensive seat on the market and it be 'the same'...but really, it won't be bad (go through the linen closet for that old beach or bathtowel tonight, if you have nothing better to do, so you're ready to go ;) )

niccig
09-30-2005, 06:18 PM
Here is DS rearfacing in the Boulevard in Park Avenue.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/niccig03/DSC_0003.jpg

My only concern is that the crotch strap/button sits right on DS's "bits". DH looked at it and said "Ow". I don't think it hurts DS?

Joolsplus2
10-01-2005, 07:41 AM
His chest clip is a bit low...maybe move it up an inch?
Nope, no worries about his bits, although, is he sitting on his 'belly pad'?...belly pads are supposed to be up on bellies, not down under bums ;).

I wish they'd make seats that comfy and safe for, say, 120-220 pounds!

niccig
10-01-2005, 11:39 AM
I'll move the chest clip...and yes, he is using the belly pad as a bum pad. And I guess that will protect the bits as well...makes sense.
Thanks Julie.
Nicci