PDA

View Full Version : Another airplane carseat question?

smilequeen
09-28-2005, 02:53 PM
We just bought a small airplane for travel (it's a work related thing for DH). It is set up to seat 6, the pilot and a passenger in front and then four seats, 2 and 2 that face each other in the back.

Does DS need to be in the seats facing the front of the airplane or can he be in the seats that face the rear of the airplane?

We are planning to use our Wizard on the plane. I'm also wondering about crash dynamics with planes and if he will still be safer RF on the plane after he's a year (he's already 22 lbs). We are planning to keep him that way in the car, but FF would make the plane a little more spacious...I want to do what is safest though.

bensmom
09-28-2005, 04:15 PM
Generally, a carseat can only be used on a forward facing seat (that's probably in the Wizard's manual), so I would say that it needs to be on one of the seats that faces the front of the plane.

On the RF/FF on the plane, I've seen mixed information. Personally, I stick with RF on the airplane (consistent with the car) because then I don't have to move the harness straps - although that's not really an issue with the Wizard.

My other reason is that there is no shoulder belt/tether, and I'm a little concerned with head excursion if he is FF - since he would smack right into the tray table (seat probably are closer together on the commercial plane).

Here's a few websites that might help:

The first is a link to the FAA's advisory circular 91-62A. I generally refer to it for support that more than one kid can sit in a carseat in a row on a commercial plane, but there's some info on general aviation:

http://tinyurl.com/csd8h

CPSafety also has some articles on airplanes/RF generally:
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/airplaneRF.aspx

I've heard anecdotal evidence that FF is safer, and some countries require FF, not RF, but I don't have anything in writing.

HTH!

Ilana

CPS Tech and mom
Ilana

CPS Tech and mom

californiagirl
09-28-2005, 04:25 PM
I don't think there's a lot of data on light aircraft -- most of it seems to be about commercial jets. The carseat must be in the seats that face the front of the airplane, although, according to the FAA and the manufacturer. I would RF if practical.

And the thing I always remember about flying non-commercial: most crashes could have been prevented by a reasonably alert and firm passenger, somebody who said "I'd rather get there alive than on time, so let's not take off into the bad weather in the new plane with the bad radio on a route that's exactly as long as we have fuel for" or "Hey! Look
out for that mountain you're about to fly us into!" I used to live with a Civil Air Patrol volunteer. I have no fear of flying light aircraft, and no fear of saying "Nope, I'm not comfortable with this, I'm not going." And I never fly somewhere for the weekend unless I'm willing to blow off Monday -- too many Monday morning searches for people who just HAD to get to work.